Twin Peaks: The Return (2017)...*Contains Spoilers!!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry Horne, Oct 3, 2014.

1. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

She didn't want to be typecast, and she was committed to Wayne's World.

Mark Frost: "That was, in fact, where we were going. And when we got there, we had a little bit of a problem with our cast. And without getting too gossipy about it, somebody in the cast was involved with somebody else. And that somebody else was not overly thrilled with the idea of the somebody else having love scenes with this third somebody else. And she kind of turned the screws and put the kibosh on it. And it was a curveball that we had to react to, and react to pretty quickly."

Yup, LFB was originally going to be the only younger female character. Then Lynch wrote parts for Fenn and for Amick, and then created Maddy because he wanted a "real" role for Sheryl Lee after the "picnic video" was filmed. Then of course Audrey became the more popular character (and more acclaimed - Fenn got Emmy and Golden Globe nominations), and had the crush on Cooper. So LFB pressured MacLachlan into telling the producers that Cooper/Audrey was not "age appropriate". So they brought in Billy Zane and Heather Graham. Of course, while "Jack" and "Annie" are older than Audrey, Zane and Graham are both younger than Fenn.

2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Great news, but it is going to be real tough to be as groundbreaking as they once were, as other TV has caught up with them since then. Much of the medium, particularly on cable networks, has shifted from tidy 30-60 minute vignettes to though provoking long form drama.

kevintomb and Tristero like this.
  3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I believe I read where David Lynch would be directing the new episodes which will be great. I can't wait for this series again.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  4. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I love the pictures of Ray Wise and Grace Zabriske!!

GentleSenator likes this.
  5. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I have complete confidence that Lynch will give us something totally different. He has progressed and changed a great deal in the last 25 years.

ssmith3046, I333I and hotsoup like this.
  6. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I hope Agent Desmond makes an appearance.

Uther and marblesmike like this.
  7. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

8. Given how the movie turned out methinks it's amazing that he agreed to do as much as he did.

9. Duchovney !

Rocker and Daniel Plainview like this.
  10. I think you speak for most of us. As for my expectations the threat of "new faces" has me a bit suspicious, but with Lynch and Frost helming the project and it's finite nature I actually am expecting good things. Those two points of views combined means "excited, but reserved. + We'll just have to wait and see."
    And..."series"? In 'murica we call them "seasons". :p

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
    Yovra likes this.
  11. I found it completely unnatural and abrupt. One of the most obvious behind-the-scenes drama aspect of the show resulting from everyone's new found fame. Boo-urns. :thumbsdow

12. Well let's hope he's had a change of heart about actually lighting his sets...:whistle:

13. Threat of new faces finds you suspicious ? My life is certainly not surrounded by all the same people from 25 years ago. There should be new blood mixed in and even featured.

I don't want just a Twin Peaks: The AARP years.

Chip Z and ad180 like this.
  14. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I don't know about that (I love some of those dark scenes), but he has had a change of heart about film vs. digital:

http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/new-twin-peaks-2016-showtime/

kevywevy likes this.
  15. Uther

Uther Forum Resident

Yes, we need to know the answer to Cole's "where is Chester Desmond?"

ad180 likes this.
  16. These days in entertainment? Yes. Personally I've got nothing against a cast of older people. In fact, during the inital run I could not stand any of the kids except Audrey. James made me cringe 100% of the time and Bobby annoyed the heck out of me.

17. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Sounds like this may not be for you then. We won't know until it premieres, yes?

18. As I said earlier.

19. I think the aesthetic debate has a wider gap when talking about what he did on film versus what he did on Island Empire (i.e. digital)...which to me was only done because he was so enamored of the time it saved not to light at all. Didn't make for an easy watch though. In fact the argument isn't really about digital vs. film, but whether he'll actually light the shots. If he's shooting film he'll almost certainly have to. Thank goodness.

Mazzy likes this.
  20. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I know, I was acknowledging that.

21. Ah. Anyway, I'd probably be able to tolerate the kids these days as they're adults now, not so whiny. I'm pumped for Coop and hopefully Mike Horse. He was the only one that didn't go loony in the original run. In fact, most of my tension in season 2 was hoping the native character didn't go nuts like everyone else. What a sigh of relief! (But I was bummed he didn't really have role in the finale.)

22. I have no problem with an older cast but their would also be new younger people in reality as well