Twister (1996) - An Underrated Classic

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Brendan K, May 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Love this movie. The first “new” car I ever bought was a 1998 Dodge Ram, partially inspired by how cool a similar one looked in this movie.

Galley likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

love this movie as well! I have a question...when the guys are riding in the truck there's a black 7 white video (IIRC) plying on a small screen in the truck ...do you know what they are playing? is there a link to this video anywhere? thanks.

3. Deep Purple. Child in Time, I believe.

4. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

The audio is Child In Time but the video is from the California Jam

Galley, BGLeduc and Michael like this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, that's it...thanks. I guess that's what threw me!

BGLeduc likes this.
  6. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

No problem with the love triangle. Nothing more than a small side plot.

Don't even mind the FX. They'll always be a product of the time it was made. I watched The Thing from 82 recently. Still love that movie and it's FX.

Weak spot was a not great story wrapped around realistic looking tornados.

But I'd watch it again. I do watch it when I'm flipping and I see it's on. I used to...(maybe still do) have a thing for Helen Hunt.

dewey02 likes this.
  7. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Twister has become, for IFC what Road House is for TNT. Their 'Go-to' movie. It's on constantly. Must be popular. Helen was hot but Jamie Gertz was actually pretty hot also. Bill Paxton pulls!

Linger63 and ssmith3046 like this.
  8. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

As someone who is fascinated by tornadoes and tornado chasing, I found the movie to be nothing but dumbed-down entertainment for the masses.

Dudley Morris, Wingman and AmosM like this.
  9. utopiarun

utopiarun "on the road to Utopia"

Love it. A couple of favorite lines

“he’s the extreme”
    “Have any of you seen an F5?”
    Plates clatter
    “Finger Of God” :laugh:

Linger63, Nostaljack and AmosM like this.
  10. AmosM

AmosM Courtier to Queen Jane

When Twister debuted in 1996 I had just begun chasing storms (because of the PBS Nova documentary) and so I loved the movie. Then after a few years chasing I considered myself a “veteran” and along with others in my peer group, I mocked the film for all its technical oversights and the hilriously casual approach the chasers take to a massive outbreak day.

Nobody eats during a tornado outbreak. Or stops at all, unless you’re out of gas in which case you screwed up a few hours ago.

Now, I’ve been driving around looking at clouds more than twenty years and I love the movie for all the same sentimental reasons I cherish music from my high school or college years. It reminds me of the people I came into the hobby with and how obsessed we were.

I do think it’s well assembled and eminently watchable. PSH was a genius. The idea of tornado probes wasn’t absurd. Residents of Wakita say when Bill Paxton was around the movie set between takes he played football with local kids and was very friendly and approachable.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Well, yeah - that's all it attempted to be. I don't think Jan de Bont and crew thought they were making a serious examination of the profession! :D

budwhite likes this.
  13. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Towering Inferno is about the worst big name/big budget disaster film ever made. Lots of great talent was wasted in the making of that turd.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Rented it when it first came out and have never seen it since. I remember being entertained but past that it wasn't worth re-watching for me.

15. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

That’s the nice thing about opinions. Everybody gets to have one.

dewey02 likes this.
  16. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

blasphemy! towering inferno/Poseidon set the standard for modern disaster films (airport probably did really but it was different in that the disaster was only part of the haley story)

Scott222C likes this.
  17. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

I'll watch anything with Ernest Borgnine. He's my favorite "so bad he's good" actor.

"My Linda! Waaaaaaah!"

Linger63 and SandAndGlass like this.
  18. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

I'll watch anything with Ernest Borgnine. He's my favorite "so bad he's good" actor.

"My Linda! Waaaaaaah!"

19. Oatsdad

"Airport" is too freakin' boring to set any kind of standard! Total snoozer!

Spaghettiows likes this.
  20. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

might seem like it now but in 1970 people stood in line for days to see it. its a bit of a soaper with burt and his love triangle but everything else works (for me anyway) plus the cast was fantastic

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. Oatsdad

That's because so many people fell asleep during screenings, it took much longer to clear out theaters! People needed to wait much longer to enter! ;)

Sternodox and the pope ondine like this.
  22. Don’t remember the trailer, but when I was rewatching some of the movie a couple of weeks ago this mindset of Hunt’s stood out among the movie’s many silly things. Like, “I’m going after the tornader that killed my pa!”

23. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

loved it then and I love it now. I've seen in a bunch of times. One of the first DVD's I ever bought.
    One of the earliest DVD's released in Australia.

24. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Good movie but "underrated," the film grossed over $400 million and was nominated for 2 academy awards. Not exactly a "cult classic."

25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Man, that thing was HUGE in its day. I'm sure you're right, if I tried to watch it today I'd turn it off.
    It served one purpose, it got Fred Astaire his Academy Award.:sigh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.