Twister (1996) - An Underrated Classic

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Brendan K, May 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Correction: it got Astaire his Academy Award nomination - he didn't win.

Fellow old fogey Art Carney won that year.

Astaire got an honorary Oscar in 1950 but that was the only other time he received any formal recognition from the Academy...

2. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I think that it, along with the "poop-side Down Adventure" (Poseidon Adventure) were the first of the big budget, big star disaster flicks. I recall taking a date to see this at the Chicago Theater on State Street in downtown Chicago. Even way back then, we came out of the theater thinking that having all those stars in the film couldn't save a bad movie.

3. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I saw this in a basically empty theater the week it came out (during the week-it was always dead then). Magnificent. It has obviously come under much criticism since then, especially on the internet, which has unfortunately colored my subsequent appreciation. Haven't seen it in years. I'll have to pull it out one day. One thing I do remember is the DVD was a great showpiece for surround sound.

SandAndGlass and BGLeduc like this.
  4. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm talking underrated over time. Not many people talking about the movie today, which is why I started the thread!

Totally see your point, though. Was big in its day.

fluffskul likes this.
  5. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Somehow we missed going to see TWISTER in the theater and I remember eagerly anticipating finally getting it on DVD. It's a movie we pull out to watch every year or so, usually in the spring tornado season. I don't think we did that this year, and looking at the movie collection, I decided it was time to find this one on Blu-ray, since it gets a lot of repeat viewings.

The price of TWISTER on Blu-ray started in the high 20s and went up from there with different versions. I thought that a bit too high, and then I saw a "three-fer" Blu-ray set of TWISTER / POSEIDON / THE PERFECT STORM for about 9 bucks - much more reasonable.

Ordered through Amazon and it came in its usual two days - however - if you read the reviews, you'll see a number of people complaining that they only got one disc - THE PERFECT STORM - in the three-fer pack. Same with me. Got in touch with Amazon and they speed-shipped the correct package to me in just one more day.

I recall watching THE PERFECT STORM only once. We have it on a DVD, but I guess we weren't impressed. Well now I have two Blu rays since Amazon didn't want it back. POSEIDON, as I recall, was one I wasn't all that interested in. I'm always happy to watch the old Irwin Allen version of THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE, but I think they may have shown it on an airline flight I was on back around the time it was out. So I probably "saw" it - but I may not have listened to it!

A quick check of TWISTER on Blu-ray and it looks very good. I'm looking forward to seeing the special effects in high definition.

6. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I took my son to see it when it came out. He was around 8 then. We both liked it, and the effects still hold up. It surprises me that there was never a sequel.

7. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

On one of our first "dates," my wife and I went to see "Twister" so it's always been a sentimental favorite of ours. It's not a classic for the ages by any means, but it is a fun popcorn flick.

...and Helen Hunt was pretty damn cute in it too. :D

I remember seeing an interview with Bill Paxton (R.I.P.) on Entertainment Tonight or Access Hollywood when the movie was still going big guns at the box office, where they asked him if he'd be up for a sequel. He said "Sure, bring it on. We could call it 'Let's Twister Again'." :D

8. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

And surely the fact it was based on a TRUE story!!!!!
    The events (after last radio contact) leading up to the sad conclusion are therefore just pure supposition.
    The last few minutes still put a lump in my throat anyway.

9. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

The first suckout scene!!!!!
    First time the little Yammy Subs I had back then actually GROWLED at me!!!!

Brendan K likes this.
  10. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

NEVER let ANY Internet (or any other) criticism colour your appreciation...:unhunh:
    I saw Towering Inferno and Poseidon Adventure as a teenager (just) and will LOVE them forever!!!!:agree::love:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Splungeworthy likes this.
  11. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

FYI..........If you are Multi Region capable............The UK release has clearly better PQ and SQ
    FYI..........If you are 4K capable.............................Just wait a while!!!!

12. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

To have seen Towering Inferno on the big screen....:drool:

Linger63 likes this.
  13. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

My Towering Inferno BD looks sensational.......especially considering it was made in 1974!!!!!:D
    The Towering Inferno Blu-ray

Splungeworthy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.