Two Against Nature DVD-A Question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ATR, Apr 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATR

ATR Senior Member Thread Starter

Lacking DVD-A playback I am listening to this in DTS or Dolby. I noticed that the music starts abruptly, so I checked and I can't get it to start anywhere other than track 2 (which is Gaslighting Abbey) at 0:30. If I get the title screen where you choose between Dolby and DTS there is no audio, but the clock does zero and start counting immediately. As soon as a surround mode is selected it then jumps to 0:30 and Gaslighting Abbey. Selecting that track while the disc is playing or backing up to it in the pause mode all give the same result. What's happening?

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I'd have to reproduce the same thing with my DVD-A, but I'm getting fine playback. Are you familiar with the start of Gaslighting Abbey? High hat, bass drum and rhythm guitar? I'm wondering if you're listening to the surround modes and there's video information up to :29, and :30 is where the sound starts for "Track01". I have a downsample of the DVD-A here at work, and vocals seem to start at about :38. So when you hit play, in 8 seconds, the vocals start? That's wrong!

I had a DVD-V only player while owning this DVD-A disc, and I had no problem. Can you clarify where the vocals start??

3. ATR

Thanks for your reply, and I will check. But in the meantime I tried my Reptile disc and it didn't start playing automatically. Doesn't sound abrupt either. But the track time at the start of the first music track is 1:00 no matter what I do. Hmmm.

4. ATR

Still sounds abrupt to me but it does start with those three elements and the vocals come in at exactly 1:08 on the timer. So I guess that what it's supposed to sound like. Unless of course the redbook CD is different.

5. Sckott

Some DVD-A's are set up differently and don't have to play automatically, but most do. I don't think there's an industry standard to how a DVD-A is set up for play, and that's the problem.

Sometimes if my Rotel preamp is set up for PCM stereo, if I hit the DVD-A to play the surround, the Rotel is one second late as it switches to DTS, for instance, so the music comes in only a second abruptly. All I have to do is go back on the track, and it will play from the beginning.

But me thinks WB has done DVD-A through similar but different authoring, and that 2AgainstNature disc should not play :30 into the song. If the song starts around :30 on DD or DTS, then that's a whole other thing. I'm not at home to reproduce that behavior, but then again, my only DVD player is a bonifide DVD-A player, so it's different :)

The DTS on 2Against is really wonderful, close second to how Goucho on DTS was done... :)

6. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I have a DVD-A player, but I have noticed that when I do play DVD-A discs in either DTS or DD mode, the music does seem to start not at 0:00, but at some other time as you indicate.

I think it has something to do with the menu screens, etc that take up a certain amount of "time" in the DVD-Video portion of the disc.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your discs.

7. Sckott

I don't even have a server to upload a short MP3 sample of the start of the song, but the start of GA DOES sound abrupt in start. Quick high-hat, rhythm guitar on high gliss, short bass drum, then it all stumbles together into perfect groove.

So, 1:08 minus :30 = :38, yes? That means the DVD-V player is sampling at that time code using the Video ISO folder on the disc. So, it's playing correctly. Notice also when playing track 2, for instance, the time code will say something like, 6:18 for "It's A Shame About Me".

8. Sckott

Yes, exactly. DVD-A discs are made in linear fashion. Video and audio information is in the same stream, and everything has it's start and end points built in to the same stream.....etc...

9. ATR

I think we can say question asked and answered. Now, when's the new Dan coming out? I like Two Against Nature as well as any Dan release, actually placing it second behind The Royal Scam. And I've gotten used to this multi-channel mix. I know there's a lot of big Katy Lied and Gaucho fans out there, but that's what makes life interesting.

10. Sckott

I'd like to see Aja too. :) It will be interesting just how the Universal stuff will solidify to be. It SOUNDS like it's all going to be DVD-A Dan, but we'll have to see how UNi embraces SACD....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.