Two new songs of Paul McCartney for recordstore day !

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Victor46542, Oct 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I agree that it doesn't feel like Paul being greedy at all to me on this one. It would have been nice if the songs were in some earlier package like the Target CD or Traveler's edition, but just releasing them as straight singles is the next best thing in that it is, as you say, not forcing us to buy the album yet again.

2. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

I am

3. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Always fixable

4. Dr. Pepper

Groot!

5. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

[QUOTE="The album art does not tie these singles to ES at all. So I’d offer, just a record store cash generator for RSD
    [/QUOTE]

You make a great point about the artwork. I was going to include these new songs in iTunes on ES (like FSP, SSS, remix of NFF, etc with their respective artwork) simply because we know they were part of the ES sessions. But their artwork doesn’t reflect that.

I just need to look at them as stand alone releases.

(Damn, I’m overthinking this!)

6. Jump Cut

Jump Cut Forum Resident

I'm glad it's two songs we haven't heard yet, rather than two remixes of previously released material. Like others mentioned, I don't have time to buy on RSD so I'll go the digital purchase route.

kevintee likes this.
  7. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Now I get the gripes if people felt they had to buy the entire album all over again. This release is like the 60's and 70's- the days of the "independent from an album" single...……..

Hopefully some great tracks that we can all enjoy

8. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

And then perhaps some additional production work (or overdubs) were done AFTER the release of the suitcase. Who knows ? It may very well have been impossible for them to be on the Traveller's edition.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  9. Dr. Pepper

I invite that time back. Everything that I read says folks aren't being many albums anymore and mostly just get a song or two from each album, so why not just release a string of singles instead of albums?

I will also say that this is why the value of Spotify keeps going us. I know that 9:00 Pacific the day before they are released I will be able to not only hear these two new songs but also slide them into any playlist I like. No tediously making a mix tape, no finding the right grooves on the album. I'll probably add them to my playlist below.

Egypt Station - The Traveler's Exploration Edition, a playlist by Dr. Pepper on Spotify

The Pre-Opening Trilogy is the beginning of Paul being in that twilight just in the process of waking up and imagining a great story/dream of him being a busker that has just been at a party for Sinatra and needs to get his day started by following Sixty Second Street down to the train station.
    Pre-Opening trilogy
    "Frank Sinatra's Party"
    "Get Started"
    3:41
    "Sixty Second Street"
    Opening track "Opening Station" 0:42
    Train is leaving the station with 13 passengers in the first car and they are thinking about...
    1. "People Want Peace" 2:59 Paul imagines his father being the train conductor and sharing his thoughts of what he thinks the people want.
    2. "I Don't Know" 4:27 One of the passengers is questioning life and trying to figure out what to do next.
    3. "Come On to Me" 4:11 Two passengers flirt with each other as they sit close to each other and try and figure out if the want to pursue something more than flirting.
    4. "Happy with You" 3:34 A elderly married couple sit close to each other while one of them thinks about the happiness the other has brought into their life, probably Paul and Nancy.
    5. "Who Cares" 3:13 A parent shares with her child how much she cares for the child even though the parent knows the child has been bullied.
    6. "Fuh You" 3:23 A young man tries to explain to his lover that all of the questionable choices he has made are really for her and to try and improve their life together.
    7. "Confidante" 3:04 Paul's guitar starts to talk with him about being left out of his life, but maybe it's really Linda in disguise.
    8. "Hand in Hand" 2:35 A young man considers proposing to his young love.
    9. "Dominoes" 5:02 Another passenger contemplates how all the decisions we make in life are like dominoes one leading to the next all effecting each other.
    10. "Back in Brazil" 3:21 A traveler from Brazil planning to return to his homeland.
    11. "Do It Now" 3:17 A passenger trying to convince himself and others to not wait but take action now.
    12. "Caesar Rock" 3:29 Everyone needs to have that rock in their relationship that is their anchor for Paul now it's probably Nancy.
    13. "Despite Repeated Warnings" 6:58 A lively discussion about going in the wrong direction and some of our world leaders taking us places that they have been warned not to go.
    14. Our passengers arrive at "Station II" 0:46
    Passengers disembark the train and a busker/dreamstate Paul entertains them with 5 songs, the last two reminding them to give him some money for his performance because you don't get "Nothing for Free" and everyone needs to "Get Enough" to survive.
    15. "Hunt You Down/Naked/C-Link" 6:22
    16. "Nothing for Free" 3:15
    17. "Get Enough"

P.S. I think this is the only Paul McCartney album ever, where I love every track. Some more than others, but I love them all. And they all work together as a pretty cohesive narrative, that I just outlined for you.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  10. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

12,000 copies means that it shouldn't be difficult to find after release day.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  11. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

He’s not released another version of the album............yet............

12. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

The IDK/COTM single was limited to 5000ish copies and it’s anything but hard to find online.

5th-beatle likes this.
  13. somebodywhocares

somebodywhocares Forum Resident

I understand and mostly agree with the sentiment that re-releasing the same album multiple times in umpteen configurations with a few new tracks sprinkled in feels like a lousy thing to do. And if I had shelled out for the ridiculous suitcase only to learn later about the Explorer’s Edition, I would have been angry.

But to complain that someone releasing 2 brand new songs as a stand-alone single, both physically and streaming, is “milking the fan base” simply because of when they were recorded, seems absurd to me.

I’m looking forward to more Kurstin -produced music.

14. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I would also understand the criticism if the artwork was the same as the Egypt Station material but to me it stands alone just fine. I can’t wait to hear it.

15. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

That's what I was thinking. I'm glad it's new songs this time.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  16. But why not just issue it as a ‘normal’ single instead of an over-priced limited RSD release?

17. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

There isn't much of a market for physical singles these days, especially for older artists. The limited number of 7 inches being released on RSD are probably not far off from the total # McCartney would sell anyway, and tying the release date to RSD is just smart business because awareness of the physical product will be greater on that date than if he waited to release it after that.

The cool thing for fans is that the digital is released a full week earlier, so we can spend plenty of time with the songs before deciding whether to put in the effort and dollars to try to get it on RSD or not.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  18. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I completely agree with you regarding the quality of the songs; all of them are very enjoyable, one of the strongest batches of songs Paul has produced since the 60's (I am still amazed at 'Dominoes' and 'I Don't Know' whenever I hear them, and 'Frank Sinatra's Party' has been stuck in my head for months).

As for streaming, I also thought that singles were better suited to that format of music distribution, but apparently Taylor Swift released an 18 song album because it helped her across streaming platforms to have a longer release.

I don't think that Paul will have a hit single or album again with new music, so it is sort of irrelevant to him, and I personally think that as a result he should release more stand alone singles, whilst he is still able to write and record (and by hit I mean an album which takes off in the way '1989' or '25' by Adele did, as opposed to having an album that made it to no.1).

19. Dr. Pepper

Not to scare anyone, but what if Paul decided to go out on top with his last album being a #1 album. Couldn't he just be putting out all these songs in various ways because he doesn't need to save them for a next album that is never going to be made?

20. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I don't think McCartney will ever stop making music!

JDeanB, Paulwalrus and MAYBEIMAMAZED like this.
  21. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

I guess that’s a possibility. But, making music comes as naturally as breathing to him. I believe he will continue to make music. Plus, he’s a workaholic. He already has It’s a Wonderful Life underway.

22. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I briefly considered it (after all, going out at #1 isn't a new concept - see M*A*S*H) but I think the desire to have an actual album will overtake Paul. He'll have singles here and there, but albums are too important to him.

That and the fact he already mentioned working on album #26.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  23. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

I don't know the non-album tracks too well but the original album is really a marvel.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  24. long gone john

long gone john Forum Resident

I’m guessing this will be a US only release? If so, I guess I’d better get saving for the scalping I’m going to get on eBay...

25. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

BF RSD Product usually hits European record stores stores, all BF releases were easily available here in Vienna in multiple stores last year.

long gone john likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.