Two new songs of Paul McCartney for recordstore day !

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Victor46542, Oct 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. long gone john

long gone john Forum Resident

That’s good news. Thanks.

2. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

On Record Store Day in April there was still a vinyl single of „Come On To Me“/„I Don‘t Know“ left here in Germany.

3. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

yes, there seems to be no shortage of those....but then they weren't new songs exclusive to that vinyl. I know these will be released about a week prior as mp3's but still. This release is the only physical release of these songs. I doubt we will be as lucky as we were with "Come On To Me".

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  4. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

From Amazon France...

"1. Home Tonight - Tom "Bones" Malone, Steve Herrman, Paul McCartney, Paul McCartney, Jim Hoke, Greg Kurstin, Doug Moffett, Charles Rose

2. In A Hurry - Vanessa Freebairn-Smith, Tony Guerro, Tereza Stanislav, Stuart Clark, Steve Orchard, Steve Herrman, Songa Lee, Rudy Stein, Robin Olson, Rob Brophy, Dodd Richard, Ralph Williams, Philip O'Connor, Peter Kent, Paul McCartney, Paul McCartney, Paul "Wix" Wickens, Natalie Leggett, Michele Richards, Matt Tuggle, Matt Funes, Mario De Leon, Marcy Vaj, Marcia Dickstein, Kye Palmer, Katia Popov, Keith Smith, Kathleen Sloan, Kate Reddish , Julian Burg, Joshua Ranz, Josefina Vergara, John Wittenberg, John Metcalfe, Jodi Burnett, Jim Hoke, James Hovorka, Ian Burdge, Greg Kurstin, Gayle Levant Richards, Everton Nelson, Doug Tornquist, Doug Moffet, Darrin McCann, Dan Higgins, Charles Rose, Caroline Campbell, Bruce White, Brad Giroux, Andrew Duckles, Amy Wickman, Abe Laboriel Jr."

Calico, theMess, janmaccazwan and 2 others like this.
  5. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

we can't forget, the two songs are out digitally this Friday

Lewisboogie and Who Cares like this.
  6. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

You can probably grab them at 12 midnight EST Thursday night/Friday morning on iTunes.

pokemaniacjunk likes this.
  7. Victor46542

Victor46542 Victor Baissait of Maccaclub Thread Starter

and Youtube also maybe !

8. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

:laugh:

9. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Certanely on Spotify

10. Victor46542

11. Victor46542

"Hey Glasto - excited to be part of your Anniversary celebrations. See ya next summer!" Paul

12. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

9:00 PM PST Thursday, I'll be listening!

13. Victor46542

I hope they will be on Youtube and we could find the URL of the two songs to listen to them in advance (In the first country where it will be noon)

14. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Crosspost from Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [2019+]

'Home Tonight':

“I’m taking you home tonight, I wanna make sure that you’re alright”. The opening lines sum it up: a very lightweight subject, nothing out of the ordinary for McCartney. The song itself hasn’t got much more than an endless chorus-verse-chorus-verse alternating, with a lost middle eight in between at two times. There aren’t many twists or turns, but 77 old McCartney is doing it again: a melody which instantly makes you feel happy. It’s upbeat, catchy, cheerful, a jolly song for during the credit’s roll of an animation movie. Slightly on the pedestrian sight, but an instant ear-worm.

Acoustic guitar intro (disappearing after), upfront bass guitar, his stereo electric guitar during the verses, stereo handclaps, the typical Greg Kurstin processed modern drums. Brass during the chorus, the same personnel as on ‘Egypt Station’. A big tom sound during the bridges, with treble-y upright piano in the right channel. Vocals sound on par with ‘Egypt Station: weathered, but on key, smothered in slap delay and multi-chorus, but without audible pitch correction.

The song is craftsmanship at its finest. Especially the repeated second half of the chorus at the end with a little variation. It sounds all too familiar, but also all too engaging and makes you want to put it on repeat instantly. Not many people can write such a catchy, fun throwaway. It’s funny, at first I thought “hey, this could’ve been a single”, later realising it technically is. (Just like ‘Get Enough’ obviously was ;) ).

In A Hurry:

This one is the opposite of the A-side. A few unexpected twist and turns, rhythm changes. The lyrics are his typical storytelling point of view, ‘Eleanor Rigby’, ‘Another Day’, ‘She’s Leaving Home’. ”She was always in a hurry/never took the time to look around/she was always one to worry and fret/staring at the ground”.

It starts with McCartney off-mic counting off, which makes you expect a tight band doing an one-taker. But nothing could be further from the truth. It’s a big production with all kind of different parts and multiple layers.

The intro and verses has got the (once again, typical) McCartney 2000's era harpsichord, with lovely bass flourishes, in a melancholic melody. A modern ‘Another Day’. The intro turns out to be the first verse, with electric piano and some (amplified?) acoustic guitar nuances. At half of it it suddenly turns into a different song, with almost apocalyptic timpani, which I'm never a fan of. It’s slightly over the top to me, with that B-part coming close to the kitsch-y parts of ‘Pipes Of Peace’, the album. Then the C-part comes in with a fast rhythm, and him singing fast phrases. The melody of what probably is the chorus (“not too late to celebrate!”) is challenging the The Beatles’ ‘Birthday’ riff. Then, only at half of the song, it suddenly goes back into the intro/verse part again.

It’s a bit of a frantic song with the faster part alternating the slower part (same tempo, different rhythm). The faster part got group vocals, brass, the drums playing a funky beat. The last part of the song goes back to it being slower again, before it, again, goes back to the faster part. It got a random saxophone solo out of nowhere and sampled crowd cheers from his shows. It even got a reprise at the end, with nice and deep bass guitar, and his “say oh yeah… say alllll right” live show crowd participation.

A much more extensive description of a song like this is a bit pointless since so much is happening. I’m not enough days in to judge if this is a really strong song, or just interesting because I’m a fan, but I think there’s something in both songs to keep the fans more than happy.

Concluding: I initially put ‘Home Tonight’ much faster on repeat, but got much more to discover in ‘In A Hurry’.

15. Victor46542

16. Eleanora's Alchemy

Eleanora's Alchemy Forum Cryptid

I suppose I'd better purchase them because Paul really needs the money...

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  17. Victor46542

I'm taking you home tonight
    I wanna make sure that you're alright
    Looks like a cold, cold wind is blowing in

We're like a train that's left the tracks
    The world is falling apart
    I'd gladly help to put it back
    But tell me where to start

I'm taking you home (yeah) tonight
    Well, the coat you're wearing is way too thin

I read the bad news every day
    It's getting harder to cry
    Sometimes I'd like to look away
    But I can't close my eyes

I'm taking you home (yeah) tonight
    next of kin

Say yes, tonight
    Say yes, that my suggestion is right
    Say yes, to me
    And that's the way you want it to be

Oh, I'm taking you home (yeah) tonight

Well, life goes by at such a pace
    And trouble's here to increase
    I know that we can find the ways
    That we can get some peace

I'm taking you home (home) tonight

So say yes, tonight
    Say yes, that my suggestion is right
    Say yes, to me
    And that's the way you want it to be

Well, I'm taking you home (home) tonight
    They say a cold, cold wind is blowing in
    The coat you're wearing is way too thin
    And won't you find my next of kin

janmaccazwan, ehwalled and Who Cares like this.
  18. Victor46542

19. Victor46542

20. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

My guess is "Home Tonight" didn't make the original album because the lyrics covered similar territory to "Come on to Me."

21. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

That’s what I thought too.

theMess likes this.
  22. ehwalled

ehwalled Forum Resident

Anyone see the track notes for each song yet? Who played what, which instruments , producer etc?

23. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Ohhh man, those are two damn fine songs. What a great way to close out the decade.

24. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Didn’t think of it that way, you’re right. It is a great way.

25. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Having listened to them each quite a few times, I feel that 'In A Hurry' is really going to be a favourite once it's sunk in more (I find the main chant surprisingly catchy, enjoy the lyrics and love the bass part, it's another really interesting and quite unusual song from the sessions). As for 'Home Tonight', I can't think of a better example to prove that he retains his gift for instant catchy melodies. I do think he should have included it on the album for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.