Tyler, the Creator - New Album “IGOR” May 17

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SoundDoctor, May 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I know a few releases where RE2 was the first and sometimes only cuts made. SS probably did both though but to be sure I guess the RE1 is safest.

zombiemodernist likes this.
  2. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Makes sense, I think with albums of this scale it's more like the old days like with Columbia matrix #'s where many early ones were floating around at the same time and almost all sonically identical. I guess the only surefire way to know would be to A-B both, or better yet do a needledrop and compare waveforms, but that seems just a little too nerdy for that album :laugh:

3. Leonthepro

Im like 80% sure that they both would sounds near identical. The GZ cuts seem to be different though, some on Discogs report less sibilance so lesser gear users might want that one instead. Sometimes a sign of some compression though.

4. zombiemodernist

I would bet they would be supplied with the same masters as the US studios. When it comes to Discogs murmuring on sibilance "Lesser gear" is the operative word for me, as most of my GZ cuts have played back better with better styli / carts. Still I don't think they prioritize sound quality as much as bonafide engineers do, and subjectively I find their cuts to be hit or miss for a lot of stuff. GZ seems to do a decent job with bass preservation on hip-hop though, compared to bad US studios like NRP.

Leonthepro likes this.
  5. zombiemodernist

IGOR Vinyl Arrives! (Correction and Apologies to MRP)
    This is What IGOR "Non-Fill" Looks Like

Based on these articles from our former OP, it looks like URP did the US pressings. Mine certainly wasn't as non-fill ridden as Mike Fremer's but the nasty warp made up for it.

I'm glad I didn't play the exchange game with this, another crappy US pressing of a major hip-hop record. I just cleaned up an OG US Pressing of Jay-Z's The Blueprint yesterday which looks perfectly flat and lustrous, so much so that I was genuinely surprised to see the (U) in the deadwax. How the quality has gotten so bad in the last two decades, I don't really know, but it seems to have no bottom.

Looking forward to any reviews on the Euro pressing.

6. Leonthepro

Hopefully coming this wednesday. Although I still wonder if thats actually non fill. Hes shown other photos of it and describes it as sounding like a shhh sound, now a zipper noise that non fill actually, at least as far as I know.

7. zombiemodernist

That is non-fill, it’s not on the lacquer, and it’s missing from the record. If you get a record like this and look really close you can see these are actually pits in the surface vs bumps (which can also be a pressing issue usually called “pimples). I’ve heard this manifestation referred to as stitching before to describe the way in which it follows the groove in even intervals. I’m of the opinion that the taxonomy is this stuff is a waste of time. The variance in sound had more to do with how severe the issue is. Either way it’s a massive flaw and unacceptable IMO

8. Leonthepro

Just got my EU press home. Its pressed at Optimal like I expected ( an hoped for ). Only SS on side 2 though, do the US pressings have SS on side 1 as well? Also, there is a small notation in the deadwax that looks like "TV" but with the V upside down. Have seen this on a few album releases in recent years, anyone know what they mean?

Will clean and play later today, it looks nice except some marks on side B, so hopefully its all good.

9. Leonthepro

Playing now. The media is flat, centered, deep black and blemish free.
    Impeccable like most of my Optimal pressings, just dead silent with no crackles, except for the ones added to the music of course.

Im quite impressed by the bass here. Feel like I hear it more clearly and deeper than digital versions. But the soundstage is overall very flat and the midrange has such a lack of vibrancy and presence for the most part.

Edit: The extra track added here I actually reconize uses a song called Fluid from Think Pink.

Edit 2: Boy is a Gun is popping like expected though. The marks were not shallow.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  10. zombiemodernist

Sad to hear. Scratches and gouges have struck me a few times this year as well.

BTW, This is What IGOR "Stitching" Looks Like Analog planet has corrected their post to refer this as "stitching". I can say that based on their taxonomy I didn't have stitching this bad on my copy, more like a faint amount that caused the elevated noise floor. It seems the distinction is valuable for the plants to fix the issue, but as a user either way part of the record is missing and the noisefloor is way up.

11. AKdot

AKdot Well-Known Member

Has anyone in Europe or the UK received their mint green vinyl copy of Igor yet? Mine is showing as shipped on golfwang.com but no shipping details/updates are available...

12. Complier

Complier Senior Member

I ordered the LP with the poster and sticker from Tyler's website and received the download in August while waiting for the October LP release. I enjoyed the album via download for two months but didn't really see what all of the fuss was about. This changed once the LP arrived. The LP sounds much better (not audiophile by any stretch, but you already guessed that) and makes the music come alive. The extra song is rather nice.

13. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

IMHO this was the most important release of the year.

"I don't want to end this season on a bad episode. Bouncing off things and you don't know how you fall. Your power is drained, so you cannot go through walls. You're caught in this matrix, don't know where you play it."

Tyler's voice sounds great. He can really sing. I just feel like he's calling out to me from the 4th Dimension on 'Igor.' This album is pure soul. And the truly awesome thing about 'Igor' is that I can't tell the difference between programmed sounds and live instrumentation throughout the soundscape. It all sounds beautiful. Everything sounds real. Whatever Tyler is doing, he knows how to program sounds to make the music feel like it's made by a human -- in a sense -- and this is the first album where I felt like I could totally embrace the digital age. I like the music again. That's how this album changed me. I think I read every one of his interviews this year. I can start quoting Tyler, the Creator later. He says the music should come first, before the beats.

14. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

This is definitely my number one record this year. Very well said, @Socrates

Echoes Myron and Socrates like this.
  15. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

Thanks ghoulsurgery! It’s great when people say nice things on the internet.

Congrats to Tyler on winning the Grammy! ‘Igor’ is an awesome album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.