Tyler, the Creator - New Album “IGOR” May 17

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SoundDoctor, May 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

SoundDoctor likes this.
  2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Is the entire album only 39 minutes??
    That's pretty concise..... Will be listening to it today!

SoundDoctor likes this.
  3. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

cracking opening track - one of his best, but downhill after that. mostly throwaway stuff, for me

can't fault the production - but this doesn't seem a particularly coherent album. just bits n bobs cobbled together

3/5

for the record, I absolutely adore Flower Boy, which for me is one of the best hip hop albums of the last decade. sadly, Igor hasn't continued the momentum from that one

4. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes... that’s the entire album!

5. SoundDoctor

I feel like as great as Flower Boy is, IGOR has a more cohesive narrative from start to finish, but to each their own.

6. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

On first listen, amazing production, just outstanding.
    Further listens required.

Gaslight and SoundDoctor like this.
  7. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Just listened yesterday, and I love it. Tyler always knocks it out of the park. Maybe I’ll change my mind, but right now it still doesn’t overtake Flower Boy for me. FB is a real force to be reckoned with. Anyway I’m a big fan and I ordered the CD pack from Golf.com.

I think my favorites right now are Igor’s Theme, Earfquake and What’s Good

SoundDoctor likes this.
  8. SoundDoctor

My favorites right now are “IGOR’S THEME,” “NEW MAGIC WAND,” “A BOY IS A GUN,” “PUPPET,” “WHAT’S GOOD,” “ARE WE STILL FRIENDS,” and “EARFQUAKE.”

We should also briefly discuss the Kanye feature on “PUPPET.” Thoughts anyone?

9. VinylGuy89

VinylGuy89 Forum Resident

I loved wolf, liked cherry bomb, didnt care for flowerboy. after my first listen, I don't really care for this one either, 4/10.

vince likes this.
  10. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I haven't heard it yet, but you're building up my expectations here.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  11. RedRoseSpeedway

I liked it. I like his appearance on Smuckers better but on this one I think it worked well. It wasn’t overbearing and blended in well. It wasn’t a hot verse or anything of course but I found it pleasant.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  12. SoundDoctor

Good!

Gaslight likes this.
  13. Apache Chief

Apache Chief Forum Resident

I really love Cherry Bomb and I thought Flower Boy was okay, but a step in the wrong direction. This album has stepped even further in the wrong direction IMO.

It seems like he took the worst elements from both projects and made an album out of it.

The production is incredible, which Tyler is good at, but the lyrics and vocals were just terrible and it seemed like every track was just a rehash of the last one.

The only two tracks I liked were "A Boy is a Gun" and "Are We Still Friends?", both because of the amazing production that remind me of Tyler's work on Bound 2.

Really disappointing, 3/10

Richard Starkly likes this.
  14. RedRoseSpeedway

Just listened all the way through again. Gets better with every listen

SoundDoctor likes this.
  15. SoundDoctor

Flower Boy was Tyler trying to go a bit more mainstream in some ways but I think it was also a very mature album. I don’t think Tyler could’ve gone further into the mainstream without losing many of his loyal fans, so he decided to take a jarring left turn from his previous work. Essentially, this is his Kid A if Flower Boy was his OK Computer.

I get what you mean about the vocals, but that’s an aspect of the record I love. The vocals, even when rapped/sung by Tyler, rarely sound like Tyler as we’ve come to known him. It’s like he’s distancing himself away from himself, as I probably mentioned earlier in the thread. The lyrics are all part of the narrative on this album, and I find that the tracks all sound different for the most part.

By the way, “A BOY IS A GUN” uses the same sample that’s on “Bound 2...”

16. SoundDoctor

It really does. First listen was 8/10 for me, and a strong 7 for my friend. After listening more, I think it’s an 11 and my friend says it’s a 10/10. The small details are what makes this album so great for repeated listening.

17. AFCBRINGWOOD

AFCBRINGWOOD Forum Resident

What on earth is an 11/10 album??!!

I get 10/10 but 11/10 is ridiculous! After all, this isn't Spinal Tap, is it?

EVOLVIST and SoundDoctor like this.
  18. SoundDoctor

On AnalogPlanet, we have an 11/10 (some say 11/11, but I think it’s more of an 11/10) for exceptional recordings, musically and/or sonically. It’s a Spinal Tap reference of course. But I do think that “IGOR” is one of those extremely amazing 11/10 albums.

AFCBRINGWOOD likes this.
  19. fdsfd

fdsfd Forum Resident

Streamed it yesterday and in a blink of an eye, it was over. Had to re-relisten, because I honestly didn't think it was that short.

IGOR'S THEME stood out during the first listen, a bit of a reminiscent of Cherrybomb. EARFQUAKE's video was just so funny that I couldn't focus on the song while listening to the album, I just kept thinking about that fire-lady. Overall very N.E.R.D.-y song, luv it.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  20. SoundDoctor

It's a very short album, but that's one of its strengths IMO.

21. RedRoseSpeedway

I agree. It’s shorter length makes it work better as an album, as one whole piece of music

SoundDoctor likes this.
  22. AFCBRINGWOOD

AFCBRINGWOOD Forum Resident

Okay, well to me an album needs to stand the test of time before a judgement like that can be made. See if you still think it's amazing in 10 years time and then a 10 (or 11 if you want) carries more weight.

I listened to the album yesterday on Qobuz and my initial reaction was favourable. It's more interesting than his previous album which I struggled to get into to be honest. I think it's going to take a few listens to digest everything though as there's a lot going on in the mix.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  23. SoundDoctor

Apparently Jack White contributed to this album. I’ll have to ask him what he did on it as it’s a great album...

24. Astralweeks

Astralweeks Diamond Dog

IGOR | Pitchfork
    Pitchfork just posted a review of Igor. Very positive, an 8/10. This was one of the best reviews I've read yet, it captures a lot of my feelings about it perfectly.

25. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Listening right now and impressed...I'm much more into soul/laid back and electronic type of rap (if this is what this is) and so fits perfectly, maybe a vinyl purchase when it comes out. I also love Negro Swan by Blood Orange.

That noisy, overblown, bombastic rap I can't stand :laugh:

Thanks for the heads up.

SoundDoctor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.