Tyler, the Creator - New Album “IGOR” May 17

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SoundDoctor, May 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Well, Hip-hop is a faster moving genre than rock for sure, and a lot of stuff dates quickly from a musical perspective. Beyond the obvious 80s / early 90s stuff, I’ve been revisiting a lot of the 00s Roc-A-Fella output (Blueprint, Philadelphia Freeway, Come Home With Me, The B.Coming, College Dropout etc) and I’ve been surprised at how it sounds a bit like “oldies” or “classic rap” lol. Even Tyler’s early stuff sounds tied to that time period old only a decade later with his innovations becoming styles and tropes in a lot of material that is superior to what he made back then. I’d say albums like IGOR will age slower than most since it’s not really characteristic of the current dominant production style (trap) or filled with a lot of buzzy features.

Personally I wouldn’t put IGOR against Bowie’s best I can think of quite a few hip-hop albums that do compete with his output, and based on his late career interests I think he would agree!

lc1995 and SoundDoctor like this.
  2. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think my #1 album of all time is Blackstar. Station, Low, Lodger, and Scary Monsters come close.

3. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

I've given IGOR a couple listens and I'm really enjoying it so far. Production is WOWZERS!!!!

Tyler's talented . . . but he's not Frank Ocean, Kendrick Lamar or Kanye talented. Tyler's texts are very simple, the first two verses of Frank's NIKE are beyond anything on the entire IGOR album. Tyler only goes so deep as far as I've heard on this and the last record. Looking forward to more listens.

4. LoveYourLife

LoveYourLife Forum Resident

Anyone received their vinyl yet? Still waiting...

5. Eliminator Jr.

Eliminator Jr. Forum Resident

It's not supposed to ship before October IIRC.

6. LoveYourLife

Jeez; I missed that in the order T&Cs

7. zombiemodernist

The problem is these records today are all finished right before release to keep the element of surprise and prevent leaks. Then when they get to production they're met with the insane lead times, especially with the quantity they will need. Last album for Tyler his site completely messed up fulfillment as well. I'm guessing that is why we can't order the album anymore, to mitigate disaster.

Personally I'm sort of glad I waited to see more about pressing / mastering before buying.

8. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Here's a new interview...
    While I'm not the biggest fan of the new album... It's still think he's the $hit!
    Listen to him give a 'shout-out' to the UK 'soul' scene of the '80's! (@9:13)

9. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Amoeba has IGOR up for preorder with a release date at the end of Sept. so Oct seems about right. Argh.

10. zombiemodernist

So it is getting a wide release as expected.

11. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I think the standard vinyl was always planned to have a wide release. Just the mint colored vinyl and picture disc were the limited options.

zombiemodernist likes this.
  12. LoveYourLife

Please don't tell me the vinyl I pre-ordered from Golf Wang is going to be mint coloured...

13. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

It was a separate special edition with different artwork and mint colored vinyl

LoveYourLife likes this.
  14. beatlesfan9091

beatlesfan9091 Forum Resident

The CD was released today. I just picked up a copy from my local record store.

lc1995, Boswell and LeBon Bush like this.
  15. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

The CD and vinyl have an extra track. Can’t wait to get my LP at some point.

RedRoseSpeedway and lc1995 like this.
  16. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

It’s a song called “Boyfriend”! Pretty excited to hear it. I preordered the CD when it came out so I’m hoping it arrives soon.

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  17. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

CD just arrived today! Got the blue variant.

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  18. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

Yeah, sometimes I even listen to rap songs from just a few years ago that sound dated already.

zombiemodernist and ghoulsurgery like this.
  19. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

One of my big problems with the Chance the Rapper record is that he still sounds like he did in 2016. That’s AGES ago in hip hop time. I like how fast this stuff moves and folks that can’t keep up get left behind.

lc1995 likes this.
  20. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Has anyone checked out the CD sequence with “boyfriend” mixed in? I’m not totally sold on the song yet but i think it’ll grow on me.

21. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

Anyone heard the vinyl yet?

22. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Mine just shipped yesterday, due to arrive tomorrow. I saw folks on Reddit saying there are some extra little interludes on the vinyl. Hoping that’s true.

Mumdad likes this.
  23. zombiemodernist

If anyone ends up getting the standard US pressing of this I would love to know who cut / pressed it and how it sounds. After the Flower Boy pressing I’m leaning back and waiting for the reviews! Modified track listing sounds cool.

24. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Getting mine next week I think. EU copy most likely.

25. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

same. Digital was mastering at Bernie grundman so here’s hoping it was cut there too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.