Type O Negative - None More Negative Box reissued by ROG

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Krzych, Jun 21, 2019.

1. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

Because of the subjective nature of music, and differences in every phase of reproduction and consumption, I usually don’t like to do shootouts for anyone other than myself, but if it means someone will enjoy more TON, i’m willing to sacrifice.

Let me know if you have anything in particular in mind. I’ll do my best.

2. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

Okay, so without waiting on a suggestion, I went ahead and listened to I Love You To Death from my three different vinyl cuts, back to back. I cleaned my stylus the exact same before each play, and kept the volume set at 12:00 on the dial the whole time, hopefully letting each cut and pressing speak for itself.

The new ROG is my favorite of the three. It is the most exciting, with the biggest impact in its dynamics and presence. It does seem to have a boost in the lower mids and bass, giving it more weight, but not at all as a detriment. It is also very detailed and forward with instrument sounds and textures. The 2006 reissue didn’t sound as clear and detailed, but seemed to have a little wider soundstage. The OP NMN was clear but was still just a bit uninvolving. After just continuing through the whole first side of the ROG LP, I went back to the 2006, and I really liked Be My Druidess. It seemed to have some of the excitement I thought was missing on the first listen. It did lack the extra bass oomph, but kept the nice dynamics with kick drums and great bass texture and seemed a bit more open, probably due to the wider soundstage. I realize the flaws in my comparison, as maybe one of the other pressings needed some extra gain to come alive, and my system can provide it, but again, this was just a quick listing test.

So, um, there are some thoughts. I want to end by stating that I don’t think any sounded bad. Far from it. In fact even though I liked the ROG Love You... better, I think it and the 2006 are neck and neck on Druidess. It’s also worth noting, that Green Man is A3 on both NMN, but it is B1 on the 2006.

Grow Fins, c-eling, Rkellner and 3 others like this.
  3. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

I forgot to mention, that of the pressings, the OP NMN was the noisiest. But it was so little that I forgot to mention it.

TongueDruid likes this.
  4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Wow, thank you! That's what I wanted to hear. Because I wouldn't want to drop 200 bucks only to get the usual "The original kills it" reviews. later. Since this seems to be one of the better reissues, I'm tempted! Thank you!

c-eling likes this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Well there you go Neon! :D
    If I had none I'd probably go for it. Life Is Killing Me is my only interest, but way out of my price league for one album.

Neonbeam likes this.
  6. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Just for fun and interest I today listened to the new boxset in full. It was journey really. I decided that I won't yet do any proper comparisons (yet) but just listen the whole set straight through during the day.
    So, what to say here. I think the boxset is great, all the albums sound just fine as should, clear, powerful and Im pretty happy with the purchase. It was nice to hear SD&H and World Coming Down on vinyl at last.
    I think they could have added some booklet or book there, which could have contained some stories and tales of each album's time and tours with pics (if not innersleeves with lyrics), somehows still feels a bit barebones but I understand that this was only repress of the 2011 set.
    They still could somehow had added something extra to the set, like double-album of rarities or such. But then again, this has the "main" music and that's what matters. All in all, anyways, this set is nice and green vinyl looks cool aswell.

TongueDruid, Neonbeam and c-eling like this.
  7. Neonbeam

Thank you! Do you have the EU or USA variant? Is there even a difference? At the moment I'm either considering getting one in NYC - 50€ cheaper but definitely very though to take with you on a plane - or wait until EU prices come down. A local store has ten copies and I simply don't see them moving that many for 199€. My preorder for the US has now been pushed back to October 6th so I've got time.

8. Neonbeam

I've only got "Kisses" so the set definitely has something to offer. But then again they might probably release them individually. I don't see "October Rust" not to eventually get another vinyl release.

Absolutely love the story how TON started to happen and Steele had reservations to tour globally because it would interfere with his day job and gym routine. Now that's dedication! :righton:

Grow Fins and c-eling like this.
  9. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

:laugh:
    Parks and Recreation isn't easy :D
    Thought it was kinda neat, in an old Metal Magazine I had there was an interview with him. Cocteau Twins was brought up as one of his favorites. Clearly can hear some of Guthrie's influence in the guitar work.

Grow Fins and Neonbeam like this.
  10. Neonbeam

Still think it's weird/ sad that he went so soon. I mean.... the man had a physical presence that seemed unbreakable.

Grow Fins, SammyJoe and c-eling like this.
  11. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Im gonna recommend you to check the book about Peter Steele (by Jeff Wagner and it's called Soul On Fire : The Life And Music of Peter Steele), in case you haven't read it yet.

12. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

And it was sad especially, because he was getting his life back (getting clean and sober) and ready start working on the next album.
    "Dead Again" has special feeling end, since the last minutes of the last song "Hail and Farewell to Britain" it always make me think about what would they have done next?

Neonbeam likes this.
  13. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Have you checked the prices around? It's getting little by little down on Amazon atleast (not sure about indies etc) I see: Amazon Global Product Price Check

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    Neonbeam likes this.
  14. Neonbeam

Wow, thank you! Wasn't even aware of a side like this. I'm going to take a gamble and wait until the first price below 150€ rolls around. Then I'm going to bite. :buttkick:

15. Neonbeam

Ooooh, at the moment Amazon prices are rising. Apparently they have sold out their initial stock and now marketplace rip offs are taking chances! My local store still has nine copies.

16. Neonbeam

My record store moved its ten copies amazingly fast at 199€ while the "US Version" - 209€ - didn't sell a single copy. Went there today and compared both. These are virtually identical. The only difference: The US variant had a label hype sticker. A very expensive hype sticker apparently. :evil:

What can I say? I bought their last copy. They even gave it to me for 189€. Nice! :angel:

Runicen, kannibal, Grow Fins and 2 others like this.
  17. Neonbeam

I'm going to take back everything I have said about "bookclub release". I just opened mine to check if everything was complete and.... wow! What a beautiful set. The fact that the covers are "blank" now doesn't make them cheap looking at all, it totally enhances the artwork. Absolutely love the way "World Coming Down" is looking now. Not so sure about "Origin Of The Feces" though.

So, whoever put this set together clearly knew what they were doing. All this green vinyl is pretty amazing too. Apart from that: Polylinered inners, nice paperstock, great printing quality, nothing cheap or shoddy. And the baby is heavy. Quite happy that I don't have to carry this one with me on an aircraft.

Bottom line: It's clear now why these sets are moving fast. They are neither super cheap nor outrageously priced. Quality comes at a price, right? :righton:

Have yet to listen to them but visually and presentation wise this is a huge heavy recommendation! If on the fence: Don't hesitate. Apparently these are on the way to sell out so it won't be too hard to unload a copy. Should one get buyers remorse.

18. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Im glad for you @Neonbeam as you finally got the set. It’s terrific package and hope that you enjoy it.

Neonbeam and TongueDruid like this.
  19. TongueDruid

TongueDruid The Delectable Dingleberry

Haha I knew you'd come around! Really great quality in this set, fun little write-ups too. Most importantly, they sound fantastic! Congrats on finding it at a great price too, you shouldn't have to pay any more than you did! I pre-ordered it direct from ROG for $200 usd, then later found that a local record store chain is selling for even another $20 cheaper! If any New Englanders are here, there's still a dozen Bullmoose stores that have it in stock for $180. In-store purchasing only.
    @Neonbeam just make sure to do yourself the favor of inspecting your records sometime soon. One of my Origin LPs had a chip broken off of the perimeter, ROG has been sending me email updates stating they'll send a replacement soon. But a number of others on discogs have said there's some serious non-fill noise at the beginnings of their Life Is Killing Me LPs, and I believe some WCD ones too.
    Mine had no such issues, besides that damn chip of course

20. Neonbeam

Visually they all are fine. Played "October Rust" and it was terrific:

"Hey am I good enough
    for you?
    Hey am I good enough
    for you?
    Am I?
    Am I?
    Am I good enough
    for you?"

Hell, yes! You are!!! :righton:

21. Neonbeam

Very much! Are they planning to release them individually? I'd be fine with that. Especially since "World Coming Down" and "Life Is Killing Me" have never been available on 12" wax outside of box sets.

By the way: The poster is great too. Sometimes sets like this contain posters where you can't help but wonder what the hell they were thinking. This one looks good!

TongueDruid likes this.
  22. Black Stripes

Black Stripes Forum Resident

Preorder for a standalone World Coming Down release announced.

Neonbeam, Krzych and TongueDruid like this.
  23. TongueDruid

TongueDruid The Delectable Dingleberry

$52?! That's insane, unless it comes with a ton of extras... Including a 3rd LP with the three WCD-session tunes from Least Worst Of would be great, but what else could there be?! We'll see. But even with a 3rd LP that's a steep price

24. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

That listing say 2LP. But it is closer to the price of the 3LP BK. Still cool, but I may hold off in case they do a 3LP.

25. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I must say, this has become one of my favorite purchases of the year. I took a chance on a band I didn’t know. Overall, I find the music to be superb. It has a great Halloween vibe which is perfect for this time of year. The green vinyl only adds to this.

What surprises me most is how good the production and sound quality are. This set is giving me a really itchy trigger finger for that Ozzy box coming soon, especially if it sells as fast as this one seems to be.