U-matic tape question for Steve

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Jul 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claus

Claus Senior Member Thread Starter

Umatic question for Steve

I have heard Sheffield's audiophile CD "I've Got The Music In Me" by Thema Houston & Pressure Cooker.

Doug Sax wrote the new liner notes... and explained the umatic digital tapes are lost and the analog 2-track master have also become unplayable. Now they recently have found a perfect umatic tape again!

How it works, when he explained... the umatic tapes are lost or damaged? How many tapes existed from this record???

Crazy... anyway Doug Sax did a new remastering last year and Sheffield released a Gold Cd a couple weeks ago.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Well, if the Umatic was the tape that was unplayable, I would understand, those things can really get screwed up. The analog tape just needs baking. Simple to do...

As for the Umatic, (God I hate those things), it probably was a clone from the "split" mix, like Linda Ronstadt's "Mad Love". In other words, mixed to a digital and analog source at the same time for "protection", and then cloned for further protection.

I would have baked the analog tape and used it myself, but....

3. Claus

Well, I only can give back the words from Doug Sax in the booklet. The new remaster sounds good... but I still prefer my good old vinyl. :agree:

4. Steve Hoffman

I'm sure your vinyl was cut from the analog version.

5. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Wasn't the original vinyl sourced from the direct to disc (no tape involved) masters?

MMM

6. Steve Hoffman

Only until the original metal wore out....

7. John Oteri

John Oteri New Member In Memoriam

Was every Sheffield Lab LP a "direct to disc"?

8. Steve Hoffman

No, Buddy boy!

An example. My ex-girlfriend Clair Marlo had a GREAT LP on Sheffield Labs called "Let It Go". That was indeed "live", but direct to two-track 30 ips 1/2" tape.

Hey John OT, remember when Clair and I double dated with you and Sharon? Disneyland, eh? Seems like a trillion years ago. All I remember is Clair and I making out on the train and the skyway while you and Sharon argued all night. Heh heh..:laugh:

9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

10. Claus

oops... I didn't know your ex-girlfriend was Clair Marlo. I still have the Sheffield Gold CD in my rack. By the way... my ex-girlfriend was ... you know Steve :shh:

11. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Wow - somebaody else has this??? I wore out the press from the direct to disc version (all maroon colored cover); then Sheffield pressed a batch from the tape that ran at the same time, which still sounded pretty darned good. Thelma sings the hell outta "I Got the Music in Me" on that set...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.