U2 - No Line On The Horizon 10th Anniversary now up for preorder

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by modrevolve, Jan 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Will be getting this. Interested how the remastered audio will compare to the original release which was at the height of the loudness wars.

Sean, Carlox, vonwegen and 2 others like this.
  3. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Nice! The original is quite pricey!

4. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Is that the whole catalogue re-issued now ? If so, fair play to U2. They get a lot of stick, but they have rid the market of (previous) silly prices for OOP albums like Achtung Baby and Zooropa on vinyl, with a decent sound to boot.

Sean, Daniel Thomas, vonwegen and 6 others like this.
  5. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I have the original LP, and it’s clearly less volume boosted than the CD.

6. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm not sure if an official Rattle and Hum has been reissued. But its not like you can't find a good quality copy for next to nothing.

7. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Pretty divisive album — even the band seemingly soured on it — but I love it. The original vinyl sounds good to me, but I'll be tempted if this remaster turns out to be a major sonic upgrade.

Sean, Carlox, warewolf95 and 7 others like this.
  8. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Out of the five albums they've done since Pop, this is surely the best. I'll buy it again if the sound is improved.

Sean, Rochdale3, Carlox and 11 others like this.
  9. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

The original digital releases were brickwalled, but if most of that compression was done in the mastering stage, then there's a good chance the vinyl reissue will sound better. I just wish they added some choice outtakes that should have made the original cut instead of those three turds in the center of the album: "I'll Go Crazy...," "Get On Your Boots" (perhaps their worst single ever) and "Stand Up Comedy." I'm generally not a fan of their recent albums, but this one could have been quite the standout. The best stuff on the album is commendable and holds up very well when placed next to their strongest work.

Sean, Piiijiii, dirkster and 9 others like this.
  10. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Will have to revisit this album...

I actually didn't pay much attention to it upon its release, but might as well give it a new spin.

11. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

No CD deluxe edition with bonus material? Well, that stinks.

eric777, Sean, Matthew Tate and 5 others like this.
  12. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

What the hell is ultra clear??? Apparently all that clear vinyl I have isn't as clear as I thought.

Sean, Manalishi, vonwegen and 11 others like this.
  13. Andre Acvedo

Andre Acvedo Sargento Primero

I wish they had took off "Get On Your Boots" one of the worst songs they have ever recorded. The rest of the album is pretty good.

Sean, DocShipe, blind_melon1 and 3 others like this.
  14. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Stand Up Comedy has grown on me over the years. I don’t understand why they never played it live, it seems like it was written to be a rocker for their live show. Get On Your Boots is irredeemable, but I agree with you that the high points of this album are very high.

Sean, PDK, davers and 4 others like this.
  15. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I almost gave up on U2 after this album. The title track is the best thing about it. “Get On Your Boots” is shameful, embarrassing, and enough to kill most band’s career. I don’t know what the heck the band was doing when they recorded and released this record.

16. Andre Acvedo

Did you miss HTDAAB?

Sean, via_atx, warewolf95 and 2 others like this.
  17. Merrick

Yeah, that’s mostly a miss for me too, but it has a few gems. No Line is just stinker city.

unravelled and Andre Acvedo like this.
  18. Andre Acvedo

I Don't mind it, apart from "Get on your boots? I quite like it. ATYCLB however is a miss for me, I cant stand that album. Songs Of Experience is a return to form for me. In all honesty nothing since Pop has grabbed me.

serj, lordfalconer and captainsolo like this.
  19. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Not just that, it was the FIRST single, the one they pushed everywhere to launch the album. I nearly skipped the album altogether because of it.

ATYCLB is actually one of their best albums, IMHO. I was pretty skeptical because I had given up on them, but it turned out to be pretty solid for me. For a while strictly second-tier because it seemed like a retreat, a conscious choice not to break any new ground, but with time I've come to appreciate it more. Song for song, it's a well-written and well-crafted album. Strong on melodies and hooks, nothing very embarrassing, pleasantly modest. It's a good summation of their strengths and their career thus far, and had they retired afterwards, it would've been a good one to go out on.

I didn't like How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. A few singles were nice, but overall it really was a retreat, and a very calculated one. The last one sold great so why not repeat the formula and play it safe? It's like they decided to become a corporation the way the Stones became one after Tattoo You - no surprises or risks, just be the U2 everyone's familiar with to fill the stadiums.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    steviej, PDK, gregorya and 4 others like this.
  20. Merrick

ATYCLB is half of a great album, and half filler. The first half of the album is killer all the way through, but they didn’t have enough AAA material to finish it out.

I think that Songs of Innocence is their best since Zooropa. It’s a shame they whiffed it with Songs of Experience.

21. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

It’s so interesting how different people enjoy music entirely differently. ATYCLB is top shelf U2 for me, and I really don’t like SOE at all, lol

steviej, Purple, vonwegen and 9 others like this.
  22. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Same here. Considering that No Line is now a decade old, that might be the very last U2 album that holds any merit for me.

sdb_1970, warewolf95 and ausgraeme like this.
  23. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I was just thinking the same thing, and I differ a little from both your and previous poster's tastes as ATYCLB is my favorite album since Achtung and my second fave since AB is SOE. I don't know all the names yet, but Red Flag Day sounds to me like it could have been on War and I've listened to that one loads, but overall really enjoy the songwriting and production and hey...it's actually got half-decent (DR8, compared to Dismantle's DR5) dynamics.

My fave track off ATYCLB is in the second half, When I Look At The World. Stunning track, holds up very well indeed today.

Hopefully up next will be 5.1 remixes for the entire studio catalogue.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Sean, PDK, FashionBoy and 4 others like this.
  24. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

I actually really enjoyed Songs of Innocence. I was so disappointed with the follow up

Mr Sam, I333I, lordfalconer and 8 others like this.
  25. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

The Super-Deluxe Box of this album that I bought when it was first released was one of the worst CD purchases I ever made, price-wise.
    It was "limited", but for months I had to walk past unsold stacks of it every time I visited the local Best Buy.

davers, warewolf95 and GentleSenator like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.