U2 Three Black Friday RSD bad press?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TStranko, Dec 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TStranko

TStranko Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I finally cracked it open yesterday and played it. It's a 12 inch 45 RPM. I noticed right off the bat it was off and going way too fast. Compared it to my copy of Boy - song to song and it does play way too fast on 45 RPMs that it doesn't even sound like Bono singing. All my other 45 RPM singles play fine.

Anyone ever run into this? Is it just a bad press? I'm a little new to collecting (couple years) and I've never run into a speed issue with a pressing.

Thanks for any help

2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I think that's what those recordings sound like! Bono's voice 'matured' a lot between that and Boy. They were very young!

3. TStranko

I know early U2 and yes his voice changed some but....the whole tempo is way faster. Everything not just voice. It's no where close to the same tempo as Out of Control and Stories For Boys on Boy. It sounds terrible.

Man at C&A likes this.
  4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

UGH! I don't have this EP and was thinking of picking this up sometime. I haven't heard it for years. If anything I remember Out of Control bring slightly slower than it is on Boy, but it's been many years.

5. IanM007

IanM007 CDs, please!

You sure it's a 45RPM?!!!

6. TStranko

Certain. Says it right on label. I played it on 33 while playing around with it and it's really slow like a 45 does sound on 33.

I've seen no other posts or reviews on this mentioning an issue. Anyone ever had this happen on another album and get a bad press with speed wrong? Not sure who to even contact on this or am I just out the money?

7. sportsmunken

sportsmunken Forum Resident

Maybe try to compare with the sound/speed of this:

8. TStranko

Funny, we thought a like. I was just listening to that on youtube. Pretty certain my copy is faster than this. I'm at work now but think I'll time the song tonight and that will definitely tell me if it's a press issue.

sportsmunken likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.