UFO - Strangers in the Night Deluxe 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RockDude4492, Sep 8, 2020.

1. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Anyone who thinks these shows are bootleg quality clearly haven’t heard many bootlegs, I don’t understand that line of thinking at all, these shows sound great!

As for value, 6 shows, 4 newly released/mixed, and the original live album, a total of 8 CD’s, 7 if they put the original album on 1 CD for $40, about $6 per CD. I’ve purchased many boots in my day, nothing even comes close in monetary/content/quality value, you would be paying hundreds in bootleg circles for this set and the lineage in many cases would be suspect. This package is a steal!

Davidmk5, Pouchkine, Efus and 5 others like this.
  2. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Loving this set.

Davidmk5, BDC and blacksabbathrainbow like this.
  3. Jaco944

Jaco944 Forum Resident

This set is just too...too hot to handle. Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

Davidmk5, BDC, John Fell and 5 others like this.
  4. hutchguv

hutchguv Rock/Metal/Prog/Pop

You have said what I wanted to say. Although I wouldn’t be able to

splendid I wholeheartedly agree

5. I have a question, and it is an honest, not a rhetorical one: How did some of you guys decide so quickly which of these 6 shows you prefer?

I mean, I have listened to all of them, and I like them all quite a bit. Other than that, the only thing I can say with some certainty is that I feel the sound quality of the Chicago is worse than the others (maybe that was the reason why they didn't use it for SitN?). I have noticed a few mistakes or flaws here and there and some very strong moments performance-wise in pretty much all the shows; I don't really know how to decide which one I like best overall.

So how do you do it?

hutchguv and jay.dee like this.
  6. Chest Pains Productions

Chest Pains Productions Forum Resident

All of the shows sound amazing in their own way. They had to set up the recording gear according to venue size etc... so of course there were different results for each one. Chicago is a little boomy, Cleveland is more close mic soundboard like.

Now on to the great Paul Raymond. His keyboards are all used in a complimentary way and at times very atmospheric. Then there’s the way he sometimes toggles between keys and guitar. This is absolutely brilliant.
    Another thing I noticed is that the stereo separation on these recordings is great too. Paul’s guitar and keyboards on the left and Schenker on the right. I have been panning left and listening just to hear Paul’s parts kinda isolated and they are killer.

Cleveland is my favorite so far. Raw and in yo face!!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    hutchguv, Davidmk5, BDC and 3 others like this.
  7. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thx for the info about the guitars in the mix separation wise. I love that kind of thing if there are multiple guitarists, try to mix it either according to where they are for the most part on the stage as it went down, or just give us wide stereo and have on of 'em left the other right etc, with vocals & the rest mostly in the middle.

hutchguv and BDC like this.
  8. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I'm just finishing Youngstown and I'm not really one for quantifying things this way.
    I'd say so far I hear Phil vocals straining most on the Kenosha show. Youngstown might actually have the most mistakes, but the energy is of the charts. All great shows, and I apologize for the non answer.

Far easier would be to pick the best version of each song, but that would take time.
    I'm amazed how people can have decisive answers to questions like this. Maybe they should be producers.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  9. gregnow

gregnow Forum Resident

" I have enough now of Nevisonsstuff now" .... as Phil alters the lyrics in Only You Can Rock Me - Louisville version:) shows Nevo or Ronnie The Fury as the band used to call him is quite present here and there on these shows.
    Somebody put up manager Wilfs Wright UK BPI silver award for Strangers In The Night years ago on eBay - I mailed Nevison with auction details and pictures and he conformed its genuine item identical to his - so- a nice guy - I have not expected any reply at all.
    Anyway- brilliant release- and watch out the UK charts tomorow- it has already charted midweek at #43 so it does quite well- looks like a highest UFO UK chart entry since 1983!
    To the TOP lads-thats where you belong!

10. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Awesome stories there. I have read countless times how Nevison rubbed the band the wrong way, especially with the orchestration stuff (that is what the song I Ain't No Baby is about, how they didn't like Nevison adding that stuff to their work, like the two albums he produced by the Babys). Nevertheless despite my not liking the songs that he added strings etc to Nevison did I believe push them in other ways, and had input into and did some great production work on the albums he worked on with them. Thank dog they did not have enough $ or time to do that orchestration crap with Walk on Water though.

hutchguv and blacksabbathrainbow like this.
  11. debased

debased Senior Member

That "orchestration crap" is one of the things that helped make The Wild, The Willing and The Innocent such a great album.

If you don't already know, check out who produced it.

PJayBe likes this.
  12. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

Does anyone here have the new clear vinyl version of the original LP?

I only test drove Rock Bottom and it sounds dull. Almost like my speakers are muffled.

Admittedly my system is super modest and I'm not that fussy, but this really didn't sound so good.

bbanderic likes this.
  13. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I don't like that stuff, including on WWI. Would much prefer a rock band - especially a hard rock band like UFO be guitars, bass, drums, maybe keyboards if nec for color and that's it. Just my personal tastes.

(EDIT: There are a few exceptions, like for example the flute in Jethro Tull. But in general, I don't dig orchestrations, string sections, horns, hundreds of backup singers, etc in rock music, especially in hard rock or metal, which to me should be all about the guitars)

hutchguv likes this.
  14. houseofglass83

houseofglass83 Forum Resident

Is this set limited edition or something? I thought it just came out but I haven’t been able to find it in stock anywhere to order.

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  15. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I think nowadays pretty much every physical release is "limited" because they don't make hundreds of thousands or whatever. I hadn't heard it was limited per se though. Maybe if the first pressing sells out they will just make more. I honestly don't know. There could be more on the way to various outlets right now but the supply chain is a mess thanks to covid.

16. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

I’ve been dreaming it on Apple Music, I too can’t find a physical copy anywhere at a reasonable price. Was d sad opposed to be released on November 20th, some vendors got them, most didn’t.

17. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

It's possible (I think very likely) that US vendors like DeepDiscount will get more in at some point (and they have a great price on it of around $40), but there are some overseas stores that do have this in stock if you don't want to risk it selling out.

This Danish store has it in stock for $50 (+ shipping):
    Ufo · Strangers In The Night (CD) [Deluxe edition] (2020) · imusic.dk

This store in Finland has it in stock for 54 euros which is about $65 (plus shipping):
    UFO : Strangers In The Night - Record Shop X

Note that I have ordered multiple times from both of these shops with no problems but YMMV. Also the current state of worldwide shipping is a bit of a mess thx to covid. It took something like 3 weeks for two CDs I ordered from the recordx (Finland) shop to get here last week.

18. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I am anxiously awaiting my set from Amazon. These rave reviews are making the waiting even harder! :)

19. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I pre-ordered first with Amazon and then canceled after the heads up in this thread about Deep Discount and some savings. I was surprised to actually get my order so soon after release date from them. I was also happy to make the far too rare purchase to not support the Amazon monopoly. Soon enough for you though, Amazon is very reliable... Predictably after ordering through Deep Discount, Amazon lowered their price to about the same. I'm guessing you didn't pre order?

20. The Hud

I pre-ordered on day 1, but was one of the people who got the delayed delivery message.

21. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

The enthusiasm for this set here coupled with the price drop has persuaded me to get it.
    Now looking forward to deciding which show I like best next week. Thanks all.

hutchguv and blacksabbathrainbow like this.
  22. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Truly sorry for your luck.

23. The Hud

Thanks. It will get here eventually. :)

24. Sezthe

Sezthe Active Member

I pre-ordered the UFO deluxe Strangers release and Hendrix Live in Maui near the beginning of October from Deep Discount. Hendrix arrived yesterday and UFO is backordered.

I knew that I shouldn't have checked in on this thread! All the positive talk about these shows is pissing me off that I didn't order from somewhere else.

This was my first order from Deep Discount in about 15 years and I wish now that I had just gone with Amazon, especially since now it appears to be out of stock everywhere in the US that I've checked.

Is anyone finding it available in the US?

hutchguv likes this.
  25. hutchguv

hutchguv Rock/Metal/Prog/Pop

I haven’t yet as I’ve only heard each show fully once

at the moment..

I love them all :)

BDC and blacksabbathrainbow like this.