UFO - Strangers in the Night Deluxe 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RockDude4492, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Bootleg quality? "Some" bonus material??

The day The Police or Dire Straits release a box with 6 previously unreleased multi-tracked concerts, we'll see about that price.

pulpo, Brett44, Leigh Burne and 8 others like this.
  2. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Quoted for truth.

Paul Raymond was perfect, and a blessing for this band (and for MSG).

hutchguv and blacksabbathrainbow like this.
  3. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Dear blacksabbathrainbow,

First you said you're starting to like Hot N' Ready. Now you say Let It Roll is growing on you again, which implies that you weren't so keen on it for a while. I have no choice but to start thinking you're mad.

Regards,
    A.

4. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Wow we must live in different worlds. This is one of the best releases of the year IMO and at a very reasonable price .

5. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Dear Claus,

You're mad too.

Regards,
    A.

6. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I like the Chapman albums, but Phenomenon through Obsession is the gold standard.
    For people inclined this way, a good approach would be to make compilations of the Chapman era.
    There are some great tracks and guitar playing. Some people find Neil Carter playing Sax on UFO music to be unbearable, but I actually dig some of it. I'm just not cut out to be a critic. For lovers of the Schenker era's , the 80s stuff can be an acquired taste. IMO Wild Willing/No Place/Mechanix are all good albums. I don't like the Tommy album, worst in the bands catalog IMO.

hutchguv and elsanto like this.
  7. dvcarrick

dvcarrick Forum Resident

Saw them in Glasgow on this tour ... same setlist... great gig.
    I just missed seeing the classic line up as my first gigs were in 80... I saw MSG and UFO that year... but to hear them open with Natural Thing like on original version of Strangers ... pure magic.

hutchguv and blacksabbathrainbow like this.
  8. T-Mac

T-Mac Forum Resident

search tyranny unleashed in the east, it’s an excellent audience recording made up from the shows that made up a portion of unleashed in the East. Was put out years back on the tarantura bootleg label

SOTO likes this.
  9. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

My favourite UFO album by the proverbial county mile!!

10. hutchguv

hutchguv Rock/Metal/Prog/Pop

That Misdemeanour album is not too hot, I’ll agree with that... I do rather like ‘Heavens Gate’ from it though, and a b side from that period ‘ The Chase’. Actually ‘Night Run’ is ok too.... But the production, is, erm,... Shall we say, a tad too 80’s and leave it at that :)

BDC likes this.
  11. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

Always someone...:sigh:

hutchguv and Jimmy Agates like this.
  12. hutchguv

Hmmm, so maybe elaborate on this a little.

For me to understand this I’d have to know how you actually rate Obsession.

I mean you may think Obsession is a 9/10 album but TWTWATI is a 10/10.

13. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

I'm listening to this now. On CD4. Box set.

It is non stop awesomeness. Every song is great. Micheal Shanker is so underrated.

14. houseofglass83

houseofglass83 Forum Resident

Been spinning it on Spotify till I get my hands on the real deal. So far only listened to the Chicago show, but it's incredible! Raw and aggressive, the drums sound heavy, and some of the best Marshall tones you'll ever hear.

And man, Hot N' Ready is probably my favorite UFO song ever. It just kills live. Though, can you imagine a band getting away with a lyric like "Dressed to the nines, you know you don't look 15, there's no question. Hot 'n' ready, ready to use!" now??!?

hutchguv likes this.
  15. hutchguv

It really is splendid stuff isn’t it.

I’ve gone through all shows twice now.... admittedly second time through the speakers mixed in with the sounds of AC Valhalla being played, but I just love this box set.

When I first saw the details of the release I thought ooh that’s interesting but do I really need to listen to six shows on the trot? So I passed on pre ordering, but then I started reading this thread and it got me to order it.... And I’m so glad I did, forget about the Strangers remaster, I’ve no need for that but the six shows are just incredible.

It really has blown me away at just how good those chaps were in 1978.

My only disappointment from this is that this line up had to end the way it did.

I can only imagine how great a 1980 UFO album from another timeline would have been had the Strangers line up continued. A mix of No Place To Run and The Michael Schenker Group lp’s.... Armed and Ready with input from Phil and Pete, could have been absolutely astonishing.

I tempered my expectations when Walk On Water was released in 1995, but I thought ‘Self Made Man’ was a rather marvellous UFO track and ‘Pushed To The Limit’ was pretty great too.

I think I really need to go back and listen to Covenant and Sharks some more, I remember listening to them upon release and being disappointed, but my head my not have been in it to appreciate the albums back then.

I’m off on a tangent again here, perhaps talk of this needs a different thread. Apologies

BDC, Timjosephuk, dvcarrick and 3 others like this.
  16. hutchguv

Oh my, I never really realised that’s what the lyrics were..... it is shocking.

Great song .... hmmm questionable lyrics though :)

17. houseofglass83

houseofglass83 Forum Resident

Nah man, this is all about UFO, keep it going! No need for another thread!

18. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

This CD set is the buy of the Decade.

19. Same here. Now I feel ashamed I have never paid attention to the lyrics. They are so obvious once I focus on them for half a minute.
    Can't say I am shocked because I am generally very much aware of the statutory rape problem in large parts of the rock scene which musically I love so much, but UFO hasn't been on my radar in that respect. Probably, again, because somehow I manage to listen to a lot of music without paying attention to the lyrics.

Jimmy Agates, jay.dee and hutchguv like this.
  20. hutchguv

Yeah it’s quite shocking really, I played Love To Love and Only You Can Rock me from one of the shows to my Fiancé yesterday and she loved both tracks, in fact she pointed out that she recognised Love To Love as something I’d played her before. She very much enjoys lyrics more than I do, I’m not saying I’m not interested in the lyrics, but it’s the music and vocal melody I concentrate on. I best not play her Hot and Ready

I’ll add that she thinks Love To Love is an epic tune..... Which , of course, it is

21. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Here's my copy. I like it and I'm glad I bought it. I just disagree that it's the fantastic value everyone else seems to think it is. We have a long running thread in the forum about how dirt cheap CDs are these days but nope, I can't remember the last CD I bought that wasn't expensive. These anniversary and deluxe re-releases all cost over the odds IMO but hey, everyone else seems to disagree and that's fine. I pay the going rate and all's well. :p

[​IMG]

22. hutchguv

Hey, good for you, say how you feel, it’s your money and you should judge the value for yourself.

I’m just aware that UFO are not exactly the biggest band ever, so the fact that we get six fully mixed live shows and an, admittedly non essential remaster of the main album, for the price is a great deal.

I think we are paying for the work that went into it. Just releasing already mixed songs in a box set is a whole lot easier than getting six lots of multi tracked live shows mixed and mastered. Although two of them were already mixed,... I think, anyway. Better experts will know more than I.

23. Claus

Claus Senior Member

First... I would never rate 10/10 to any UFO studio album! That would be an offense to Hard Rock bands which deserve a 10/10 for their best record.

Here’s my rating of the UFO albums feat. M. Schenker.

Phenomenon 7,5/10
    Force It 8/10
    No Heavy Petting 6/10
    Lights Out 8/10
    Obsession 6/10
    Walk on Water 6/10

P.S. TWTWATI 7/10

hutchguv likes this.
  24. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Built to Destroy is another....but I like it better than Misdemeaner....McCauley Schenker is IMO good eighties music IMO, but it was the wrong type music for the masses at the time those albums were released. I never even knew about that stuff when it came out, I was into other stuff. I discovered it a few years ago.
    Tough Customer with no Heavy Petting only getting a 6

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  25. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The problem of every UFO album. Great songs enhanced with fillers. At that time many other Hard Rock groups had the same problems with their studio albums... Thin Lizzy, Nazareth, Golden Earring etc.

That is the reason Strangers in the Night (9/10) is a great Best of album and the best one they have ever released.

dvcarrick and Doggiedogma like this.