Uh oh - no regular CD release of upcoming major release?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lynd8, Mar 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

U.S. music album sales by format 2017 | Statistic

this is a chart of actual sales of albums. cd's are still the preferred option. downloads are close (but i am not sure if this includes digital albums that come with a physical unit). vinyl is just holding in there.
    digital downloads are the preferred option for the singles buyer, and as singles are very much trend oriented, that isn't surprising.
    to suggest that cd's are going to be wiped out, at this stage, with eighty million sales last year seems rather odd. the problem is overall sales. the music industry is dying, for many reasons. stopping the manufacture of cd's would pretty much end the music industry.

Sean, Shak Cohen and Dynamic Ranger like this.
  2. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Yeah, one of my favorite albums of this year so far ("Pent Up" by Rogue + Jaye, an indie side-project), released digitally, but had no CD release and a vinyl pressing of only 500 copies.

3. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

... as long as the CD's are brick walled, they might as well skip them anyhow.

4. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

SHFers Complain About Digital-Only Release From Sting, Ignoring Past Five Years Of Digital-Only Releases From Literally Dozens Of Hip-Hop Artists....

5. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

Hip hop isn't a genre I usually listen to (I have a soft spot for the classics, Run-DMC and the like), but I'd be ticked off if it was and I couldn't get physical releases.

6. mark winstanley

Well the vinyl hasnt been much different. And a lot has been poorly produced

7. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

I know, it's very sad.

8. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

A digital only release that actually isn't a digital only release at all.

9. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Physical media will eventually only be a premium/limited product whether it a CD or LP...streaming will be it for the masses:cheers:

Shak Cohen likes this.
  10. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Its been rumoured for a few years that major labels are about to ditch CDs but... it ain't happened yet.

Give it ten years, by when I think the CD market might have shrunk enough to be killed off.

Maybe by then we will be able to have HD sound files transmitted directly to our brains via 11g mobile networks.

11. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Fire.

The_Windmill likes this.
  12. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Shaggy and Sting. That's awesome in the worst way possible.

13. mark winstanley

if that happens, so be it. i still won't/don't want downloads

14. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Not sure what downloads have to do with backing up one’s CDs onto a HD and keeping it offsite in case of something catastrophic like a fire or flood. You would rather have nothing and start over from scratch?

15. mark winstanley

it will be, what it will be. if i lose everything tomorrow, so be it. i won't be happy about it, but a disc file somewhere isn't going to change the fact that it's gone. i mean if it was just a case of having some songs, i could pay a fee to amazon or someone else and have access most files that exist.

16. :rolleyes:

subzro likes this.
  17. mark winstanley

i'm not interested in downloads, what's there to roll your eyes about?

Dennis Metz and Dynamic Ranger like this.
  18. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Because the only options left are niche or too expensive.

That may be so, and personally I'm fine with digital but it has to be much cheaper than a CD. If I pay 10 <currency units> I want a physical object. If it's download only, I'm prepared to pay half that at best. And that is not an outrageous thing to ask, because they have way lower cost with downloads than with the production, distribution and retail of a physical product, and they should hand that advantage down to the consumer instead of keeping it all to themselves.

19. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

I love it.

Hopefully just go Hybrid SACD for the 'digital standard' - $30/whack.

Line em up, boys!

20. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

It costs more to produce and ship CDs for a new release in 2018 than you can make selling them, as a new artist with no backing.

Not enough people buy music anymore.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  21. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Thankfully it's the new Sting album and not someone relevant.

22. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

But, if your collection is backed up off-site and/or in the cloud it wouldn't be "gone". Seriously, some of you guys and your militant stance on this, it's like cutting your nose off to spite your face. "Well, I won't have physical media I can hold!". So you'd rather have nothing given how much you've invested?! Mind boggling, that's the reason for the eye roll emoji.

In a nutshell, that's where we find the industry, especially for the average consumer. They're not going to invest that much in physical media, further invest in storage options for said media, and then search for the one or two tracks they wish to hear. I watch some of the young folks going through their record collections on YouTube. Very few have more than 50.

It's been over a decade since I bought physical media voraciously. It took me awhile to get into streaming, but now that it's all said and done, it's my primary music delivery system and I'm closing in on 60. It's not something you have to take to overnight, but I have found it very freeing not to have to go through racks and racks of media to find what I want to hear at a given moment. All I know is if this accessibility had been around when I was a teen, I would have squealed like a delighted piggy sloshing around in fresh slop. :p

sennj, John Porcellino and phillyal1 like this.
  23. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

You remind me of myself in 2001 when Prince said his latest The Rainbow Children would only be released as a download to music club members. The panic I felt!
    Of course he changed his mind and quickly arranged a distribution deal for a CD. But like you I hated even the prospect of no physical album/digital only.

24. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

You have to admit there is/was a certain charm in spending time rummaging through racks of records. Some of my best friends I have either met at/worked at/or owned record stores. Would not trade those experiences for anything.

anorak2 and mark winstanley like this.
  25. mark winstanley

it wouldn't be cutting off my nose to spite my face. enjoy your downloads and rips ... it is of no interest to me. just because you like it, doesn't mean i have to.
    if my collection ends up gone, it's gone. i have stuff on my computer. i have the obligatory amazon music free downloads .... but at the end of the day, that is not my music.
    if i lost everything, perhaps i would get a decent streaming account, but perhaps i would just play my guitar more

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.