Uh oh - no regular CD release of upcoming major release?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lynd8, Mar 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

New artist? The Naked And Famous exist since a decade if I'm not wrong and (though they're Indie) I think they have a good backing.
    Otherwise, yes I understand there's a problem with manufacturing enough physical media these days.

2. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

that's new to me.

3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

i completely understand new bands using the download idea to get some exposure. touring and downloads are a good way to let people know you exist. i'd be amazed if none of them ever wanted a physical release though

5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

If no regular physical product available I'd just watch on youtube if I were interested rather than paying to download. In the case of Sting that would not be necessary.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  6. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

Why the hatred of downloads?

I was adamant about my CD and Vinyl for years, but once I heard about iTunes Match (then 25k now 100k non iTunes songs) and google play (which I don’t use having 50k songs) that was the game changer for me in 2013 or 2014.

Now I may lose an ever so amount of sound clarity but the convenience of me having ~84k songs with me whenever far trumps that (plus I more often listen while on the go).

Lastly the digital option let’s me track listens by album, song, artist in both time playback and actual song plays (SongsInfo app) which is great for this math nerd

bldg blok likes this.
  7. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Yeah, but with streaming, what version/mix of the album are you getting? Are you getting bonus songs, B-sides, etc?

Golden Richards likes this.
  8. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

"I guess I just wasn't made for these, I guess I just wasn't made for these, I guess I just wasn't made for these.... tiiiiiiimes"

[cue warbly theremin]

mark winstanley and telepicker97 like this.
  9. Sad but true. An artist I know personally told me last summer that she had given up on physical media and even the concept of an album entirely, she's be releasing new music through youtube video's or Spotify streams. I guess for beginning independent artists it's the only way not to lose money these days.

telepicker97 likes this.
  10. telepicker97

And it's the only way to get people to play your music.

It's why I don't do it anymore.

It's ****ing sad and it hurts my soul.

11. telepicker97

No one cares about that **** anymore but us.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  12. telepicker97

Ok.

So that means even more established bands have a hard time breaking even on physical media.

Just proves my point even more about how 'not worth it' physical media really is for the independent artist.

The real crap part?

The only people who DO bit physical media are the ones that really care about the music.

:\

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Shak Cohen and James Bennett like this.
  13. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Yeah, I know. But if I didn't care about that stuff, I'd be completely out of the physical game as well - instead of just hanging on to it by a thread.

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yup.

Sting would've been an odd "test case" for a new album that doesn't get a CD release given that he appeals mainly to the old folks who still buy CDs - people like me! :D

15. mark winstanley

Look if downloads are great for somebody, that's cool.
    I'm an album guy, i always have been. Singles, compiles and downloads aren't my thing .... that should be cool too

16. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

It's going to depend on the streaming service and that's why I took the time to upload any titles that were really important to me and have them stored on media as well, Beatles mono albums, Stones Virgin titles for example.

17. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

Streaming/downloads don't mean you can't do albums. I have a 128 GB microSD that stores both music I put on it and downloads with my streaming service, Google Play Music. It's got a pretty decent selection, found out about a Memphis rock band called Moloch (hate that name though) and checked them out. A lot easier and cheaper than hunting down the title since I knew no local store would have it.

Just like with most things, there was a learning curve, but it was far from steep.

18. mark winstanley

I know how it works, there is no curve for me to learn, I'm just not interested.
    How many ways do i need to state this lol
    :targettiphat:

19. telepicker97

Yup, Sting is the kind of artist who will still sell more than a thousand CDs of his new album, and for the reasons you mentioned.

20. telepicker97

My 128 GB microSD is what I use to switch out music to my tablet, from one of my 5tb HDs...

I use FLAC format...don't understand the Google Play comment; is that an online store, or is it a file format?

Confused by your post,
    J.

21. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Excuse me, please pause the thread:

SHAGGY AND STING MADE AN ALBUM?!!!!!!!!!

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O:help::help::help::help:

22. Because while I can manage my sprawling music collection on physical media OK, I don't want to have to ALSO try and keep track of digital files, which have to be backed up, and hope they'll port from OS upgrade to OS upgrade every 2-3 years (like that's going to work for 20 years or more, without fail). I know physical media is prone to failure too, but at least I don't have to actively manage "not loosing" it, the way I have to digital.

And with digital, I also don't have any convenient way to listen to it on a real stereo system -- and I'd rather not be bothered with having to burn stuff on CDR, just to listen to it on something other than my laptop's built-in speakers, or on through my even crappier iPhone speaker (or ear-buds).

I've downloaded stuff, sure, but I never material that I expect to necessarily be able to enjoy more than a few years or so.

WarEagleRK likes this.
  23. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

While I certainly have the ability to upload all my CDs to digital/cloud/whatever - I do not have the TIME required to do so.

telepicker97 and mark winstanley like this.
  24. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I'm with you brother.....for a while I did try and download singles from artists I enjoy. Those who chose that as the only format to release the material (and not available on physical albums) and I now have this big collection of files I have heard maybe once...twice...for 2 reasons.

Never understood the point of singles....3 mins approx. and then you have to choose something else to play....what's the point.o_O
    Download singles......silly little files that are instantly forgotten about....they songs themselves don't belong anywhere, and I hate playlists....so don't even mention them.:tsk:

25. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

I don't see any info on a CD version of Springsteen's upcoming Volume 2 set. Looks to be vinyl and download only at this point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.