UHQ CD now yet a other format..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Optimize, Jun 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

fair enough...did CD kill vinyl? Hmmm...

2. Michael

just like vinyl still is and was...

jusbe and Scratcha like this.
  3. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

No, but it niche-fied it for awhile. Then it came back.

CD isn't vinyl, though, so I think any hoped-for parallels rest on shaky ground.

At the same time, I don't see CD disappearing completely, either.

bever70 likes this.
  4. Michael

yea it came back with a whisper..

5. Cyclone Ranger

Now who's engaged in wishful thinking? ;)

No need to be mad at vinyl, though. Vinyl isn't most of what's hurting CD... streaming is.

6. Michael

Wishful thinking? NO...LOL.
    Yes- streaming... vinyl is a freckle...can't and will never hurt the CD...

apesfan likes this.
  7. Cyclone Ranger

Sigh. If vinyl's a freckle, CD's a slightly larger freckle.

Soon to become a smaller one. :(

But why should anyone care about that, when streaming's the 800-lb gorilla in the room?

bever70 likes this.
  8. Michael

exactly!...very sad ain't it...BUT, I'm good with my collection...and I'm sure many others are as well. : )

9. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Good point. The new hipster cd’s will be 10 times as much as they were in the 90’s.

10. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Great! Another chance to sell us overpriced reissues of The Allmans Each A Peach,Elton’s Goodbye,Beck-Sea Change,Steely Dan-Gaucho etc.-lol

11. Scratcha

Scratcha Forum Resident

UHQ CD's most likely have a far superior recording material/medium than the normal CD; similar to comparing MAM-A or B CD-R's to say a normal Sony CD-R's.
    Just speculating about the secret of the UHQ CD's.

But I do know for certain that the MAM-A or B CD-R's ( I forget which is better A or B ), are superior to the normal stem of Sony, Maxell, etc..... It's all to do with the recording surface/coating.

12. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't hear anything superior SQ. What we know the matrix/stamper is exactly the same.
    It is also so when I take one of the discs out and put the other one in. The CD player starts playing exactly at the same place as the previous disc. So they are identified as one and the same disc of the CD player.

The ONLY thing UHQ CD does differently is that when they use "Photopolymer" closest to the stamper. And its lower viscosity makes it to fill better all the cavaties. In the stamper.
    Then the photopolymer need curing/hardening. Most likely by UV-light.

But here is the big question mark. Without this altered manufacturing process. We have not have a issue/problem that the pits has been not enough defined in >30 years..

The CD "track" is going by the laser with a constant speed. A defined parameter scanning velocity (SVY). So the pits and lands is measured in how long time it takes the pit/land to pass the laser. If it takes 3 time units or 4 time units.
    Will gives us a 3T or a 4T.
    (There are other lengths, but I am trying to keep it simplified)

The issue or problem that we CAN get is that we have length variations for the lands/pits.
    This is length variation for a specific length like 3T is what we here call Jitter.

So imagine a long 3T that can be taken for a 4T. Or the opposite a short 4T that is regarded as a 3T.. then jitter levels has passed its specifications. We will have an error in the read data. :sigh:

But to the funny part. :winkgrin:
    In the CD standard we also have error corrections! So the CD format can correct errors very well. In my opinion. Of course to a certain limit.. more on that later.

Reflect on that the same CD can contain computer data. And as we know that that application in computers. We are very dependent on that the bytes is correct read out from the disc otherwise we will get bugs in programs or wrong pixels in our images on the disc. :hurlleft:

Now when we know that the CD drive electronics correct the data stream before the data stream is passed to the for example decoding chip.

So IF I could hear a difference on the two sample discs. That should then indicate that the two disc is not using the same stamper (and may be from different masters).
    Or that something is VERY wrong. :winkgrin:

Because it should NOT in my opinion be ANY difference in the data stream that are going to the decoder if the same stamper is used. And that with or without the use of photopolymer in the manufacturing process. :agree:

Yes if we go to the extreme there are of course going to be discs that has so much errors that the are not correctable. Those is called E32. And are not allowed at all in production.
    But if you scratch a CD enough then it will not be played by the drive at the end.

So with that condensed background I do not believe that there any sonically difference to obtain from these types of media. In short it is still a CD that follows the CD standard.. :hugs:

13. Scratcha

Scratcha Forum Resident

MAM-A Inc., The Gold Standard

It was MAM-A; I don't know where I got MAM-B from.

Interesting site.

Optimize likes this.
  14. Scratcha

Scratcha Forum Resident

Personally, from what I've heard; there's a difference between MAM-A and the standard stem of CD-R's out there.

Optimize likes this.
  15. moops

moops Senior Member

At least Japan are still interested in CD. If they want to try different stuff and reissue back catalogue in different variations of redbook, more power to them. No one is forcing you to buy it.

16. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

This strikes me as the equivalent of making improvements to the buggy whip in 1920.

bever70, Scratcha and Optimize like this.
  17. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

You laugh, but you know there will be a thread here running into the hundreds of posts announcing the inevitable Beatles reissues, and another equally exhaustive thread dissecting the mastering and sound quality of those CDs.

goodiesguy, bever70, Scratcha and 2 others like this.
  18. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

What would be really interesting would be an announcement that the remaining Beatles would be reissuing their entire catalog on SACD. Everyone would be scrambling to find an SACD player then!:whistle:

goodiesguy, Dave, andrewskyDE and 4 others like this.
  19. moops

moops Senior Member

With the best audio quality naturally found on the now out of production Oppo players. :D

Litejazz53 and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  20. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

CD is not dead in Japan.

21. moops

moops Senior Member

It certainly isn't ...... and it's a wonderful thing. :edthumbs:

longdist01 likes this.
  22. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

UHQCD has been around for a while now. I have some in my collection.
    IMO: UHQCD was developed to compete with XRCD2, Blu-spec2 & SHM-CD.
    All seem to be variations on a theme.
    IMO: IF mastering is excellent these materials or techniques may enhance sonic quality slightly.

BTW: Preferred the American technology HDCD but unfortunately it seems to have fallen by the wayside.
    Why HDCD was sold to Microsoft and why they killed it I haven't a clue.

Optimize and longdist01 like this.
  23. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Neither anywhere else yet.

andrewskyDE and Scratcha like this.
  24. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

Rip the regular CD and UHQCD and do a binary file comparison between them. If they're identical, then it's the same snake oil as Sony's "Blu-Spec CD":

And that demo CD doesn't even sound as good as the same tracks I have on older, regular CDs, due to its modern "Loudness War" mastering.

goodiesguy, Sevoflurane, Dave and 3 others like this.
  25. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes that is a excellent idea.
    The video shows what I suspected that it has nothing with SQ to do at all. As I wrote before.

It is only a different production method. And nothing else.
    It is a shame that they are trying to device the consumers. By greed and trying to maximize profits even if they just came up a different way to do something, and end up with the exact same result!

Shame on Sony.
    "Feel the difference" they're stating on the cover. But they misspelled it they should write "Feed the placebo". Thanks Sony. :sigh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.