UK Blues guitarists - your favorites?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marmil, Jul 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zaza_3121

zaza_3121 Forum Resident

Sure, it's debatable. But keep in mind that G'N'R brought blues back to mainstream when everybody else was just shredding on guitar. Let's make him a honorable mention then :)

2. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I think I read somewhere that Edmunds was not all that happy about playing the blues.

3. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

Anybody who says that Eric Clapton hasn't played any great blues guitar since The Dominos days is boarding on total clueless. Listen to the Live In The Seventies box set, From The Cradle record and the Nothing But The Blues video. Not to mention Riding With The King and Robert Johnson Sessions. I also forgot to mention Live In Hyde Park, a master class in Blues Rock guitar playing.

4. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

What Guns & Roses plays is not blues or even blues-rock, it's hard rock/heavy metal. Just because Slash didn't shred, does not mean he's a blues player. It just means he played regular rock guitar without shredding.

Stevie Ray Vaughan helped bring blues back to the mainstream. :uhhuh:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    0476pearljam and Aftermath like this.
  5. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

Peter Green
    Jeff Beck
    Gary Moore

DTK likes this.
  6. Except that Rory was born in Ireland in March 1948, several months before the Republic of Ireland Act of 1948 was signed into law in December 1948, and before it went into effect in April 1949. He was born still under King George VI.

Moreover, for instance Pakistan is its own country, yet genetically they are identical to Indians. This is the same for Ireland, N. Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England. Within a 1-2% degree the genetics are the same, assuming there is no Germanic, French, Belgium, blood etc., which happens all of the time. Even at that, within the last 200 years or so, I'm not sure if you can genetically delineate a person from Blackpool who might have the same genetic profile as someone from Cork, no more than you can separate somebody from Chad, Nigeria and Mali.

You've got Jews in Ireland, so if their family has been in Ireland for 200 years, always marrying other Jews, are they Irish by birth or Irish by blood?

Rory Gallagher, count him. He was born in a country without an Irish president, under the UK's monarchy. He began learning music by playing an Hawaiian instrument (before it became a US state, I might add), and he played American guitars, in a style that was developed in the United States, largely by people who were transplants from the African continent.

Anyway, my vote goes to Mark Knopfler, whose blues work shines with the best of them (despite the fact that Mark's father was born Jewish in Hungary).

Aftermath likes this.
  7. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

The way the "logic" about UK guitarists is going here, my vote goes to Randy Bachman.

Can we close the thread, before it gets any dafter...?

Frank Field likes this.
  8. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Peter Green
    Paul Kossoff
    Mick Taylor

Slack Babbath, 0476pearljam and DTK like this.
  9. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Yes, it has gone totally daft. I made a simple observation earlier on but other people have chosen to take the discussion down an uncomfortable route and furthermore need to get their facts straight. I will say no more.

10. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I'll add Paul Kossoff as a personal second choice. Quite an amazing player.

Slack Babbath likes this.
  11. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Agreed. For me, his peak period began with the Bluesbreakers and ended at the Rainbow concerts.

DTK likes this.
  12. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

I'm not an Eric Clapton fan at all, but the top REAL blues guitarists (B.B. King, Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, etc.) all put Clapton at the top of the list of white blues players.

13. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Well EC helped them make some money! Peter Green's was BB's favorite, and Johnny Winter was like Muddy's adopted son.
    I dunno why BB, Buddy and Muddy are more real blues guitarists than others, but that's a real can of worms and let's not open it. :)

14. Gary Moore and Peter Green for me

15. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Well he never felt more like singing the blues...

16. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

if I cant list Gallagher then

Page
    Clapton
    Peter Green

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.