UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

First Take for the win.

HughMacpherson likes this.
  2. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I kinda assumed the Legacy edition was a remix like many of the others. Apparently there was a remix: the Columbia Jazz Masterpieces edition (the ones with the blue box), which would explain why I heard of a remix.

3. Glennza

Glennza Londoner, lost in the back of beyond

Agreed. Also the Kokomo album is pretty good!

phillyal1 and minibreakfast like this.
  4. Sandy Denny "The North Star Grassman and the Ravens" Island LP (Mint vinyl and Mint Sleeve) - £4.99 at Oxfam yesterday.

It had been placed right at the back of the folk section - like someone was trying to hide it!

Just ripped it this morning and this LP sounds fantastic.

5. minibreakfast

Amazing find. I was lucky enough to find a first pressing in a charity shop last year.

Yours may have been put at the back of the shelf by a staff member hoping to buy it. Some shops have a policy where if they price something up but want to buy it themselves, it has to go out on the shop floor for 24 hours first. They probably hate you now. :)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  6. Yeah I think you are right...

They don't do carrier bags anymore - normally they give you an old supermarket bag for LP purchases.

...but this time the guy on the till apparently didn't have any to spare!

I just knew that this Sandy Denny LP (placed behind **** by The Weavers and the collected works of George Hamilton IV) wasn't at the back by mistake.

7. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

A few nice things today...

Dusty Springfield - From Dusty....With Love
    Aerosmith - Pandoras Box

and a US all-silver pressing of The Unforgettable Fire by U2, which I can't match to anything on discogs. It's got the US cat number and barcode, but none of the ones there are all-silver discs. Pleased to find this as I discovered my 2009 remaster is defective (a common problem with that batch apparently, but I wasn't aware).

EG.

8. minibreakfast

No CDs, but some car boot vinyl:

Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes - Supernova 2LP -£2
    Abstract Thought - Hypothetical Situations promo 2LP - £2
    Solaris vs Bowie - Shout 12" (fantastic remix of Fame) - £4

All unplayed deadstock.

A good start to the season.

9. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

I found that someone had put two dozen CDs into one of the waste bins at the block of flats I live at, not loose but in a plastic box. Most aren't my cup of tea, but there's some I'll keep - Joy Division, Moon Ska comp., a couple of the Bowies. Will give the plastic cases a clean, then give the ones I don't want to a charity shop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Joy Division, The Cure, Sonic Youth, several great Bowie albums. It's incredible how wasteful people can be. Plenty of people would want these and they don't show up in charities often at all. Good rescuing work.

I'm missing a couple of those Bowies!

11. AlmostHeavenWV

If you want them, they're yours. Same goes for any of them, other than Joy Division and Moon Ska, that anyone would like.

Eric_Generic and Man at C&A like this.
  12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Thank you, I would appreciate them. Very grateful.

13. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I think The Man Who Sold the World is the latest remaster, which is meant to be very good, up there with the RCA. Sadly, Aladdin Sane isn't. The others look like 99s. Still, a charity shop would have done well with these CDs.

14. AlmostHeavenWV

It's a 2015 remaster; is that the one you mean? Some of the other Bowies are also remastered. Like Man at C&A said, why on earth would someone throw these out, rather than give them to a charity shop? It's wasteful.

15. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Yes, I'm fairly sure that's a good remaster.

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I didn't ask for TMWSTW. Perhaps I should have done. I have the 1990 EMI CD and didn't want to be too cheeky! I asked for Aladdin Sane, Station to Station and Young Americans as I only have those three on vinyl.

I thought others here would like the rest.

17. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Possibly the person in question is not a charity shopper, or had inherited them from a deceased relative or something like that. They may have just bought into the received wisdom that CDs are now valueless and that the only thing to do with them it to treat them as litter. A great shame, but probably quite a prevalent mindset. Well done you for putting them on here, so they can get decent loving homes! :)

18. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Can confirm the 2015 MWSTW is very good. I replaced it with the WG RCA eventually, but the differences are pretty slim. Pity they couldn't keep that quality up with the reissue campaign.

Joy Division Substance is also good, but as I think I said a few pages ago, ripping it and reburning it in chronological order improves it hugely. The CD version has a really weird track listing, retaining the reduced tracklisting from the vinyl version first, then following it with an appendix with (almost) everything else they did. It's pretty jarring to follow something as mature as Love Will Tear Us Apart with the crude No Love Lost from their debut EP.

19. AlmostHeavenWV

I'll give Less Than Jake a listen. Hadn't heard of them before, but could be interesting. And only just noticed that there's 'Last Splash' by The Breeders, but no booklet.

Dave S and Man at C&A like this.
  20. The Appendix on "Substance" CD was really stupid (even in 1988)...

A throw back to the idea of an original LP and bonus tracks.

..and Wilson was into his tech then - DAT releases, CDV singles etc on Factory.

Should have been re-sequenced for the 2015 CD...

...at least the 2015 remastered CD features "As You Said" from the Flexi and LWTUA (Pennine version) - as 2 extra tracks (but still in the same bloody stupid sequence).

21. minibreakfast

Couple of bits yesterday.

Vegas Fame Index - Leisureland CD (sealed) - £1. No idea, but it's on the Norwich label NR One, who have put out some good stuff in the past.

Atlantic Rhythm & Blues 1947-1974 Volume 1 CD - £1

Daisy Vaughan - Light On Our Limbs 10" vinyl mini album (sealed) - £2.50. Not played it yet, but Discogs says folky, so fingers crossed.

Dave S and AlmostHeavenWV like this.
  22. AlmostHeavenWV

Jazz Greats: Eddie Condon - beat to the streets, from The Children's Society, for 50p.

On the downside, British Heart Foundation in Lancaster has priced all its CDs at £1.99. Can't think why, they're just the usual stuff, Westlife, etc.

minibreakfast and Dave S like this.
  23. starbuck

starbuck Forum Resident

Another good day for CDs today:

Black Sabbath - Never Say Die
    Gang Of Four - Entertainment
    Talking Heads - More Songs About...
    The Fall - A Sides
    Killing Joke - S/T (the one with Grohl on drums)
    Neil Young - Tonights The Night
    Pink Floyd - Relics
    Lee Scratch Perry & The Upsetters - Super Ape.

£5.96 for the lot.

24. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Rubbish, isn't it?

wrappedinsky and Gavaxeman like this.
  25. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Not even an optional extra either

Andy Smith and MrSka57 like this.