UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

No 'donut' spare tires in the USA anymore either. They give you a can of Fix-A-Flat
    (tho my 2012 Chevy Sonic came with a CD player, USB port [in the glovebox] and a spare).

2. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

I bought a new BMW X1 last year and specified a CD player in it.

MrSka57 likes this.
  3. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

And yet I'm finding more stores now who are choosing to clear out all of their CDs. Troubling times we live in!

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  4. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

My car has a CD player, but I only use it to listen to stuff I’ve just picked up while driving home. Rest of the time I use the USB connection for my iPhone and play my music (or podcasts) off that.

USB/Bluetooth and analogue line in (as a backup against obsolescence) would be required features for me, but I’m happy to let the CD player disappear. Physical media and cars were never a good mix.

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  5. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Not an option in a 118i M for a new model in the U.K. (or at least that’s what I was told)

6. Gavaxeman

Yep just checked they phased them out from 2019.. wife just ordered a 2020 model and no option for CD players now

7. serendipitydawg

serendipitydawg Dag nabbit!

If you like early jazz this Marshal Cavendish part work is highly recommended. 80 volumes. In the past couple of years I have bought over 40 of them in charity shops.

Not the one you found though ! I'll take it off your hands if you decide to part with it.

8. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

Getz/Gilberto
    Charles Lloyd + Lucinda Williams

CD - 99p each

9. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

I just found that last week too.

10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I got four of the Bowie CDs from AlmostHeavenWV this afternoon. All in near perfect condition with no scuffs and near new condition booklets. I expected them to be a bit scuffed and tatty but not at all. It's generous of him and I'm thankful. It completes my Bowie CDs up to Let's Dance.

The 2015 The Man Who Sold The World does sound fantastic! I love it.

11. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

These are the best stories.

Good reminder that I need a Bowie collection, also.

Eric_Generic and Man at C&A like this.
  12. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

her

13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Sorry! I was going to make sure I got that right too. Not good of me.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  14. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

I had a good laugh!

15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Thank goodness! No offence intended at all of course.

Eric_Generic and AlmostHeavenWV like this.
  16. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

One of those days I had a good haul and that's a tenner for charity (yay) but I feel like I wanted more sweet classic rock finds. It felt a bit gap filling rather than exciting.

Kylie - Kiss Me Once £1.99
    Kylie - Rhythm of Love £1.99
    Sheryl Crow - Wildflower £1.50
    Lita Ford - Stiletto £1.50
    Janet Jackson - Rhythm Nation £1
    Oasis - The Master plan £1
    All Saints - Saints & Sinners £1
    Genesis - Invisible Touch £1
    Prokofiev -Romeo and Juliet 2 CD (Maazel) £1
    Dvorak -Symphony 8&9 Kubelik £1

The Kylie I only picked up at that price because I've been on a Kylie kick and I was going to Magpie them at that price anyway. The classical purchases probably the nicest finds. I've never heard the Lita Ford but it's not a pricey disc usually. Resolved I gotta buy Oasis at some point though I still left a Nevermind on the shelf, I don't know why...

17. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Great finds! These are all personal favourites. I'd be amazed to see any Lita Fords in the charity shops, and would snap them up.

EG.

18. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Big fan of the Maazel Romeo & Juliet here, £1 is a bargain. Is that the slim-case Double Decca or the old fatboy?

Rossman likes this.
  19. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

Have been meaning to check out Rhythm Nation for a long time. Glad to get the positive rec :D I missed this Kylie back in the day somehow ... Step Back in Time has long been my favourite single though...

Putrifiers II and Eric_Generic like this.
  20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Along with Definitely Maybe, that's the best Oasis CD to get. The hits on What's The Story Morning Glory have been massively overplayed over the years and the rest is patchy. Still a very good album though.

Thorpy, juss100 and Eric_Generic like this.
  21. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

I'm not sure I've ever even heard the full ballet, just suites, so this should be interesting ( I think I saw a performance of it a long time ago. Maybe). It's a slimline double Decca, the best £1 can buy! (If it were a double Decca or Philips duo at £1 I'd probably buy it whatever it was tbh!)

MC Rag and Eric_Generic like this.
  22. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

RN1814 is an album I always rated, but I prefer it to Control now. Perhaps because I recently created an 8-disc super deluxe of RN1814 and it hammered home just how incredible those tracks are.

EG.

Dave Gilmour's Cat and juss100 like this.
  23. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

Thanks to that britpop thread I've been listening to them again. Definitely Maybe holds up well, I think, but I never actually heard The Masterplan properly. I've been seeing it around a lot, might be nice to get some fresh Oasis, like you say the old ones are overplayed as hell!

Eric_Generic and Man at C&A like this.
  24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Some of their best ever songs are on it. I'll have to pick one up myself. I had the CD singles back in the day but sold them as I got tired of Oasis very quickly. I gave away the double vinyl Morning Glory but still have the double LP Definitely Maybe. I can't remember the last time I played it!

Eric_Generic likes this.
  25. Gavaxeman

C’mon ..you gotta pick up Nevermind..it’s a seminal album