UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I was! All I remember saying is that people had some great CDs in the photos. Perhaps if only relevant posts were removed it might not have got anywhere near 107. But I suppose the same as everyone else, the Gorts must be looking for something to do while stuck indoors.

MC Rag likes this.
  2. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

A, B, C and E.
    The thought of doing a database is too much like work in these gloriously sunny lockdown days.

MC Rag and Dubmart like this.
  3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Great for buying, barely worth the effort to sell to. Their exchange was OK when they had the That's Entertainment shops though. I cleared out my collection and traded a lot of stuff I didn't need at all for a few full price CDs I wanted but couldn't afford all of.

MC Rag, Dubmart and Dave S like this.
  4. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Never been stung for the collection fee, but the exchange rate hurts. But the exchange hurt when I lived in the US (over two $ to the £).

5. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

A - bought some new speakers and cables recently, so spending a ridiculous amount of time deciding whether they're keepers and the best placement. the latter is driving me nuts, truth be told!
    B - been buying quite a few bits, including a couple of pretty expensive records the other night after a few wets! damn
    C - offloading a few to counter B!
    D - D is for Discogs!
    E - I think my CD collection will forever be in piles all over the shop

6. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Same. I could do a bit of B and D. Unfortunately, I got bogged down in the coronavirus threads. Oh boy.

7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The best trade in was when Fopp and later HMV would give £1 trade for pretty much any CD in good condition, I didn't have tons of spare CDs, but did get my Blu Ray machine from HMV and a lovely Ghana Special 5 LP box set from Fopp, I know someone who traded in 100s and 100s of CDs with them.

Eric_Generic and Man at C&A like this.
  8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

What were they thinking?! I offloaded some real crap off then and exchanged it for new stuff. It's was predictably short lived.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  9. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

I wonder whether during these times that stuff will fly through customs without the usual stringent checks? got a few bits on the way, so I for one sure hope so!

MC Rag likes this.
  10. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Volumes of international mail are way down. Customs staff now have too much time on their hands.

MC Rag and Eric_Generic like this.
  11. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

yeah, I was thinking from a social distancing perspective, but you're dead right

12. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

They're stopping airmail as there are hardly any flights everything is going to be sent surface and with reduced traffic I imagine everything will get caught, even internal UK post is taking days and days to arrive.

MC Rag and Eric_Generic like this.
  13. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

damn! I was hoping for happy hour!

14. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I still hear flights (not many and I'm on a busy flight path). I think there may cargo flights, but many of those may be restricted to shipping medical supplies. I sent something out to Lanzarote and it took two weeks.

15. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

something I didn't know until today - and it could be BS as the guy in the post office was a bit weird and excitable - is that parcels sent to Canada need the sender address on the front, or it'll get returned to the UK. chap said he had numerous examples of this over the years. seems a bit....unlikely?

anyone else experienced this?

16. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Totally true, Canada has very specific rules and are real sticklers for them.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  17. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I see no problem with that. Great idea! But it has to be in Classifieds, under WTB/FT forum. No going rogue! :)

18. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

A) hasn't changed much for me, as I can only tolerate a finite amount of music per day due to health issues.

B) has dropped due to not much being released of interest, and the Royal Mail virtually ceasing delivery to our area.

C) is something I am really needing to do, and trying to work on. But with no outlet for the CDs that need to go (no charity shops, no small indie/collectors haunts I use regularly), I can't move on with anything. It's just bogged. I couldn't even junk them if I wanted to (I don't), as the recycle depots are all shut as well!

D) I avoid doing that as it would just take too much time. I last updated mine in 1994.

E) I don't keep music in bags :D Boxes...yes. Bags...no.

EG.

MC Rag likes this.
  19. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Right UK and EU members you now have your very own trading thread in the classifieds section so feel free to trade away.......

The UK/EU Only CD Trading Thread

20. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Thanks to the GORTS! :righton:

EG.

Dubmart, garrincha, MC Rag and 4 others like this.
  21. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well stuff certainly isn't flying through. I have a very pricey CD coming by EMS that seems to have been stuck in Jakarta for over 10 days. I'm wondering if I will ever see it!

Eric_Generic and garrincha like this.
  22. MC Rag

I always ask, most oblige.

garrincha likes this.
  23. MC Rag

Wow, good to know.

garrincha likes this.
  24. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I believe Jakarta is in total lockdown. Of course, people fled the capital before it happened, so the coronavirus is probably spread over all of Indonesia.

MC Rag likes this.
  25. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Oh! Canada....

EG.