UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Jon321

Jon321 Well-Known Member

I've shipped an LP from UK to Canada recently by International Tracked & Signed but had tracking problems once it got to Canada. Apparently Canada Post went in a huff about revenue sharing some years back (there's some online info about this) so full tracking info isn't getting carried over from UK to Canada, and a signature isn't recorded. The package was showing as "delivered" and "awaiting delivery" at the same time. The online help for CP wasn't any help. Eventually got there thankfully, but Canada Post are VERY picky based on past experiences, i.e. postcode formatting (although I didn't know about the "return address on front" issue)

2. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well I don't really like it but thanks!

Eric_Generic likes this.
  3. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Normally stuff doesn't arrive from Canada like a Steve Hoffman mastered copy of Who's Next. I then complain and 4 months later 2 CD's arrive in the space of a few days.
    Baffling why it takes so long or they still only got horse and cart in some parts? :)

garrincha, MC Rag and Eric_Generic like this.
  4. Freekslyde57

Freekslyde57 Forum Resident

Got an "interesting" Led Zep cd on the way from Disc Japan...ordered 23rd March and not here yet....

5. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

BA have stopped all direct flights to Japan.

6. biilyedwards

biilyedwards Todd Browning's freak

Thanks for the new thread, but when I try to access it I get a message saying "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action." Any help much appreciated, thanks.

7. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

You may have to post 50 messages before yoi can access those threads.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  8. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Which one did you get?

I bought the first Japanese pressing CD of Led Zep 4 with the gold obi for £5 from a market trader in Trowbridge a few years back.
    They are rare as hens teeth.

MC Rag likes this.
  9. biilyedwards

biilyedwards Todd Browning's freak

Ah, thank you!

10. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Not true, I normally live in Canada and we get parcels sent, mostly to the kids on birthdays and Christmas, from relatives and friends in the UK and the senders address is always on the back, never had anything returned to the sender.

stepeanut likes this.
  11. MC Rag

Just missed out on an Ebay CD purchase of The Scars -- Author Author, price went too high, but in browsing around I came across a similar Scottish band I'd never heard of called the Prats who I think are genius! So I'm going to have to get their only CD release - Now that's what I call Prats Music, a comp of their 7"ers and EPs from 1980/81.

Was thinking some of you guys might well know more about Post Punk than me. I need to hear more. I've got Rigour Discipline & Disgust (the CD version of the Fast Product 10 Year Plan LP), what else should I be checking out?

Putrifiers II likes this.
  12. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

This is essential reading: Rip It Up and Start Again - Wikipedia

13. MC Rag

14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I second it being an excellent book. I liked the era when I bought it, but ended up buying a lot of records from it after reading Rip It Up.

15. MC Rag

Seems like there's a couple of versions of the book. One Amazon reviewer says the copy he got removed 3 chapters - The Devoto/Subway Sect chapter,
    the Conform to Deform Second Wave of Industrial chapter,
    and the SST/Blasting Concept chapter

I'd like to get the one with these, is the full version Yellow with Pink script or Pink with Black script or got a photo of a punk on on front?

16. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

One of those sold on Discogs in December for $99.99USD. By coincidence I was lookin at older IV pressings on Discogs last night. Surprised it wasn't one of those uber expensive early Japan pressings. Even the Target for IV has sold for reasonable prices.

Somerset Scholar likes this.
  17. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I got all of those books back in HMV/Fopp some years ago, but never got around to reading them. Currently in storage, think I have the yellow/pink edition. Also got the one on Rap/Hip-Hop which followed (Bring The Noise?).

EG.

MC Rag likes this.
  18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The yellow and pink cover is the earlier one and the one I have. It was very cheap everywhere a few years ago so finding a used copy shouldn't be difficult.

Eric_Generic and MC Rag like this.
  19. MC Rag

Thanks C&A

Man at C&A likes this.
  20. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

We've put out tons of Post Punk, Power Pop etc. from local bands, even a couple of books that may be relevant, unfortunately not my side of the label: Discography Bristol Archive Records

21. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The last thing I was expecting to post is some finds, I don't like going out at the best of times and really am trying to limit myself to once a week, but I had to go to the post office today, it turns out my local post office is no longer opening on Saturdays, but everything worked out as I came across these sat on a wall with a sign saying help yourself.:D:D:D:goodie::goodie::goodie:

[​IMG]

22. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

Wow! Those Gabriels, Numans and the Supertramp would be great find for me on any day, but at a time like this would be like an oasis in the desert!

CDFanatic and Eric_Generic like this.
  23. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Totally agree, if I'd found that pile at a boot sale or in a charity shop I'd have been very happy, getting them for free is kind of mind boggling though naturally I do have to wonder whether they've been putting anything else out.:laugh:

24. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

You are going to have to take a daily exercise walk past there now! I bet you won't be able to resist! ;)

[Edit: just noticed the John Foxx too - even better!]

Dubmart likes this.
  25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Top notch find Dubmart!

I can't understand why people would dump decent CDs like that. These are obviously from a music enthusiast and not common titles. At least they didn't go in the bin.

I can see those Numan CDs becoming very sought after in time. I'd love to find those!

Eric_Generic and Dubmart like this.