UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

Good lord those Gabriel sacds were an amazing find. As a fully masked up member of the isolation police I hereby demand that you hand them over.

2. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Wish that happened to me!

Dubmart and Man at C&A like this.
  3. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Bloody hell :faint:

EG.

4. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

Cracking haul!!

Anyway, my allotted cycle ride today took me near a branch of Poundland, so I thought I'd take a detour. Came away with

Tori Amos, Strange Little Girls
    REM, Life's Rich Pageant (original 1986 press, I think)
    Deacon Blue, Fellow Hoodlums
    Chvrches, The Bones of What You Believe
    Mercury Rev, The Secret Migration
    Simon and Garfunkel Greatest Hits (again, I think this looks like a 1980s vintage disc)
    Am listening to the Tori Amos one just now. Very impressed so far. Its a covers album and some of these versions seem unique and beautiful.

5. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Is that Life’s Rich Pageant a Nimbus disc?

I have Fables, LRP and Document on Nimbus, all sound great. I seem to recall from deep in the forum’s past that Fables has a bewildering number of CD masters and that the Nimbus is quite unique - don’t know if that’s the same for the others.

6. Fuller

Fuller Forum Resident

Lots of houses round here with help yourself boxes outside, mainly books but a few CD's, seen absolutely nothing I'm remotely interested in though. Dubmart you done good.

Eric_Generic and Dubmart like this.
  7. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

Yes it is a Nimbus. I've just looked it up on Discogs and it doesn't look unique. It's actually a 1994 reissue.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  8. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I have 2 versions of the CD now, an IRS Masters one from the 90s (I think) and one on Columbia/Epic from the 80s. I bought the latter simply for the novelty (to a UK fan) of REM on that label with the in-house spine design.

EG.

Grower of Mushrooms likes this.
  9. stem

stem Forum Resident

Wow, that person with the wall has good taste !
    What is that first DVD Audio on the left ?

10. biilyedwards

biilyedwards Todd Browning's freak

11. Useaname

Useaname Forum Resident

When this is over I'll enjoy the chuggers on my way to the charities

When immunity passports come about we could visit and root through each other's collections :)

Eric_Generic likes this.
  12. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Just back from a successful trip to the post office, no SACDs, but my local garden walls are like a giant spread out free boot sale, tons of books, games, puzzles, toys, plants, shoes including what looked like barely worn Timberlands and a load of other stuff, I'm not planning to leave home the rest of the week, but it is getting tempting.

Actually I've been to boot sales with less stalls and worse stuff.:laugh:

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    MC Rag and minibreakfast like this.
  13. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

Sounds like you live in the middle of some kind of bazaar. It's bizarre! :laugh:

MC Rag, Eric_Generic and Dubmart like this.
  14. Useaname

Useaname Forum Resident

I'm not going to press like on this post due to envy. :D

15. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

I still haven't got over @Dubmart 's haul up there ^^^

Eric_Generic likes this.
  16. Useaname

Useaname Forum Resident

I'm going to have to move to Bristol, but until then, how about we give each other a little therapy over Zoom? :D

Eric_Generic likes this.
  17. Useaname

Useaname Forum Resident

I just passed a nearby row of houses and picked up a nice Mexican Fender Tele and a lovely Martin acoustic. Oh, and three Bowie boxsets. Thought I'd let someone else have the Gibson SG seeing as I already have one. ;)

phillyal1 and MC Rag like this.
  18. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

Are you in St Werburghs? You have a very fine community around you.

19. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Lots of nice music collections in St Werburghs, but I'm near Gloucester Road, that box was in Bishopston which along with Redland is a cornucopia of free stuff on walls, no idea about anywhere else as I'm staying very local, plus there are lots of garden walls around here which seems to help. :)

MC Rag likes this.
  20. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nice, I haven't spotted anything like that around me though people do it with fruit, veg, eggs, etc when they have excess in the summer. I think I am going to try doing it on my garden wall and see if it catches on.

Useaname, Dubmart and Eric_Generic like this.
  21. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Ah bait, good idea, a note always helps, especially if people aren't used to it locally, also remember that just like fishing only take what you really need/want, (yeah I grabbed all the discs, but I've left everything else):).

MC Rag likes this.
  22. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

There's a bit of it going on in York too, my mum has picked up a few books for my kids that way, and we got rid of our glut of strawberry plants in about 2hrs by just popping them on the end of the drive with a note.

It would be nice if it stuck around after lockdown, but I'd imagine it's dependent on the higher footfall.

MC Rag and Useaname like this.
  23. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

It's always happened around here, just not to the same extent, my biggest regret was about fifteen years ago, long before I had a flat screen TV, someone put a TOTR 36" Panasonic TV out near me, fully working to take, I would have loved it, but being CRT it was huge and not only too big to move on my own, but likely too big for my room, I did get my brother one of those TV/DVD combos, last year I got a Dual record deck, I've also had a big Target Hi Fi rack and best of all the wild west fort Lego set, still waiting for the Garrard 301 though.

24. Useaname

Useaname Forum Resident

It's nice that people are putting stuff out free for others to give a new home to. I never cease to be amazed and appalled at what some will throw out. With council dumps shut (I think some have been opening up again very recently) and people at home to spring clean it's been on mind about how much kit will end up wasted in landfill. Stuff staying away from the dumps and getting used is more than good with me. Even if I don't get to enjoy of it myself.

Dubmart likes this.
  25. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Never seen this phenomenon round here, only some fruit or whatever at certain times.

I won't be giving all my CDs and DVDs to charity, so if the small store I visit (and plan to donate this stuff to) go under, then I will have to look at other avenues.

EG.