UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Boot sale had plenty of buyers and sellers today, I didn't see many CDs, none worth buying and the vinyl was pretty poor although I missed a Tom Waits LP for a five, on a positive I may have a house call from today's sell, anyway here's my haul, the first LP looks like it has a cover of "The Sweeney" theme so I took a chance for 50p, very pleased to find another Tandberg, now I have a pair.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Rossman

Rossman Forum Resident

I managed to slightly satisfy my cheap CD buying today with a visit to Goodwins bargain store in Redcar

They have cleared a lot of the CDs but at least there was some new stock. I didn't have long so only bought 3 to make up to 99p, otherwise it's £1.99 for one CD. I'll go back again and have a thorough search another day.

Bela Fleck/V.M. Bhatt/Jie-Bing Chen - Tabula Rasa
    Dawn Upshaw - I Wish It So
    Various - Latin Jazz volume 2

I got Tabula Rasa because it was a Water Lily Acoustics recording.. I don't know Dawn Upshaw but it looks like it could be jazz.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    minibreakfast and Eric_Generic like this.
  3. Rossman

Rossman Forum Resident

Have you heard the Out of the Box LP by the Royal Artillery Mounted band? Some of my favourite tv theme covers Royal Artillery Mounted Band* - Out Of The Box - Top T.V Themes

Dave S and Dubmart like this.
  4. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

If memory serves, she was the vocalist on the popular 90s Symphony No.3 album by Henryk Gorecki album.

EG.

MC Rag likes this.
  5. Rossman

Rossman Forum Resident

The album is more showtunes, it sounds like something that would have been played on the Elaine Paige show on radio 2 on a sunday, not my cup of tea at all. I probably could have lived with it if it wasn't for the singing, the backing music is well played.

Oh well, recycled back into the charity shop box.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  6. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Not one I've come across, though I do have quite a few, the Poly Music, seems to fetch £10-15 so is obviously known, I always give school bands and similar a good look to see what they are covering which usually gives you a clue, this one is all over the shop, but you can't go wrong with the Sweeney, I'll file it next to my copy of "Shut It", glad to say that after a nice long nap my spelling has recovered, I'm finding it very hard to get back into those 4am starts.

7. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

A visit to Sense, the only charity shop open in town.

Nearly took a chance on Jellyfish Split Milk, Tindersticks Curtains, and Barbirolli Mahler Symphony No. 2 (EMI), but they were £2 each or 3 for £5. The 50p shelf was a washout.

mradmack and Eric_Generic like this.
  8. biilyedwards

biilyedwards Todd Browning's freak

Popped into the bank, they had restocked their CDs on the charity stall. Another addition to the Elton Collection, Joe Walsh was a really nice find and beautifully mastered, the ELO will be nice for a friend and Kick Inside was brilliant to find cause I’ve been kicking myself lately over how I passed on a £3 vinyl copy before the lockdown!

[​IMG]

9. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Yes. Her appearance on that crossover hit almost gave her a mainstream presence. She’s a staple of opera recordings made in America during the 80s/90s and I’m still after her Sondheim recital disc.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  10. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Charity shops still seem to be, by and large, closed. This is no great surprise, of course, given that most of their staff may fall into the ‘at risk’ category.

There seems to be no policy on which charities are opening their shops - it all seems to be down to staff in local areas.

On a visit to Chester last week, I picked up a double disc of Stravinsky ballets - it had been in the shop before lockdown and I remembered passing on it then. Thought I’d make good on my omission. :)

The shop was Hope House Hospice, but the equivalent shop in Nantwich was closed. The only shop open in the town was the Salvation Army.

I don’t foresee this situation changing for a good while yet.

11. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

That’s a pretty brilliant haul for a bank, where the pickings tend to slim/obvious in my experience. The Joe Walsh in particular is a good find.

biilyedwards, Dave S and Eric_Generic like this.
  12. mark e

mark e Forum Resident

i went into a charity shop yesterday and bought some cds.
    felt good, and weird at the same time.

- merz : moi at mon camion
    - kid rock : the history of rock
    - galliano : in pursuit of the 13th note
    - cornershop : handcream for a generation
    - the streets : everything is borrowed
    - new young pony club : fantastic playroom

most chuffed about the galliano find as i have been revisiting and enjoying the acid jazz/talking loud groove in the sunshine.
    however, the best of the bunch is the brilliant cornershop album. so much fun.

13. biilyedwards

Three from yesterday as another reopened.
    Carly Simon - The Very Best Of. I like soft rock and singer-songwriters. Nobody Does It Better is probably my favourite Bond theme too. Cost £1.
    Peter Green Splinter Group - Reaching The Cold 100. I’m a big fan of early Fleetwood Mac so it was cool to find this, his most recent album, pretty good from what I’ve heard so far. Contains a bonus CD of Mac covers which are interesting. £1.50.
    Bruce Springsteen - 18 Tracks. I had to look up whether this was a compliation of random songs or outtakes, I was pleased it was the latter and I’m really enjoying it. It’s my fourth Boss CD, I have Born to Run, Greatest Hits, We Shall Overcome. The song ‘Hearts of Stone’ is really fantastic.
    [​IMG]

14. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

That's a really good haul! 18 Tracks I think has 1 or 2 songs which weren't on the main Tracks 4CD set, making it an essential/necessary purchase for completists.

EG.

biilyedwards likes this.
  15. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Trying to get back into a 4am Sunday start is killing me, I've just woken up from a rather long nap, I did get a few bits at the bootsale including some CDs, I'll stick some photos up later or tomorrow, nothing exciting, but a couple of things that pleased me. I didn't buy any, but there were at least two complete old school NAD systems with 3020 amps and even the NAD cassette decks, fun or a profit for someone.

Other than Cancer Research changing their window display, something of a windup if you happen to want a pair of small Monitor Audio speakers, none of my local charity shops show any signs of life or intention of opening. I was speaking to a lady who volunteers in a shop today, she told me she isn't going to go back at all, I suspect she isn't the only one, I think there's going to need to be a rethink.

minibreakfast and Eric_Generic like this.
  16. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I could easily have bought a few more CDs and twice as many LPs if I hadn't been beaten to them, all CDs and LPs were 50p each, the sleeveless LP is an original UK Otis Redding "The Soul Album", al the CBS classicals are six eyes in excellent condition, other than below I also picked up a SONY DVD recorder for a fiver.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Wow, I would have loved those Bond soundtracks! Nice finds.

EG.

Dave Gilmour's Cat and Dubmart like this.
  18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That Solid Gold Soul LP changed my life! I love the sleeve too.

19. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

My local Cancer Research is scheduled to reopen on the 30th, no sign of any other charity shops following suit.

MC Rag and Eric_Generic like this.
  20. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

From last September's post...

CEX gave me £11 voucher for the the Rammstein today :) better than a poke in the eye...

21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

A few charities have reopened in the Teesside area, mostly the Teesside Hospice shops. I've only been in one which had pretty much the same stock as before lockdown.

Rossman likes this.
  22. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Nice faces vinyl too

23. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I was pleasantly surprised the people in the box before me missed that one, they did grab a pile of Soul I'd have liked though, the Classical and other US pressings were from another seller and I missed a load of Classical and some Jazz vocal, one guy had bought the Oscar Brand LP on Impulse, it's not an expensive record, but being on Impulse I quite fancied a listen and asked if he wanted to sell or even swap it, he didn't even know he'd bought it and of course because I showed interest he then probably thought it was worth a fortune, (is he going to get a surprise).:laugh: It did look lovely though.:cry:

Gavaxeman likes this.
  24. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Thames Hospice appear to be the only ones (in terms of chains) opening around here.

EG.

Rossman and Dubmart like this.
  25. biilyedwards

Nice, well done on the Star Wars soundtracks too, they always sell like hotcakes in charity shops, even the shoddier films.

Dubmart likes this.