UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Are those Bond soundtracks the expanded editions from the 40th Anniversary?

Eric_Generic likes this.
  2. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

Stevie Wonder ~ Music of My Mind

CD - 50p

3. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The Bonds are standard editions, from the 1990s based on the receipts with some of them.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  4. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Ah okay. I have a couple of the '03 reissues from the 40th anniversary and they have the complete scores of the films.

Eric_Generic and Dubmart like this.
  5. Rossman

Rossman Forum Resident

Popped into the Saltburn branch today, last time looked before lockdown it was closed for refurbishment. It looked exactly the same as before but I did manage to pick up Ali Farke Toure with Ry Cooder - Talking Timbuktu for 50p

6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I was in yesterday too and saw that. I picked up The Stax / Volt tour Live in Paris - Volume Two. Volume One wasn't there but I got that from eBay straightaway very cheap.

It's worth keeping an eye on that shop. The lady in there said there's more CDs to go out but they have to wait for 72 hours.

Another charity shop in Saltburn was open, the one that isn't on the same street as Teesside Hospice. I can't remember the charity but it had a mint Robert Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters CD in which I didn't buy.

Dave S, Eric_Generic and Rossman like this.
  7. Rossman

Rossman Forum Resident

That will be Saltburn church charity shop. I've got to pick up a prescription so I'll try Teesside Hospice again at the weekend when I collect it.

Man at C&A likes this.
  8. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

Had my first chazza trip yesterday, in a warehouse-sized shop that opened this week. Couldn't get to the CDs as someone had parked their kid in its buggy in front of the shelf, but I didn't mind as I've never found any CD worth having there anyway. The vinyl was mostly the same as before lockdown, with a few new bits. Came away with five records including an interesting-looking Persian one for 75p that I recall passing over on previous visits. Not played it yet as it's quarantined in the cupboard under the stairs for a few days, but the YouTube clips I found are excellent. Artist's name is Shusha.

Better than that was a school band LP for 50 pence (Microwave - The World Is Still Revolving), which seems to go for upwards of £50 on Discogs. I shall decide whether I'm willing to part with it once it's out of quarantine, but this sort of stuff is usually my cup of tea!

Bumped into a couple of familiar faces (masked, of course), and had a good, socially distanced chat about records, among other things, which was lovely after months of no charity shopping or booting. So all in all a good time, and it felt safe and well managed. Got another handful of shops opening next week, plus a local boot sale restarts on Sunday, so all good!

9. minibreakfast

Another charity shop visited today, and again no CDs bought. Got three LPs though, probably the best of which is by one "Chico Lopez", an alias of library composer Syd Dale of KPM, Bruton and latterly his own label Amphonic.

The Mr got a really nice shirt for a pound, which is ridiculously cheap. It looks great.

10. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

I have been keeping an eye on local charity shops, but many are just not ready to open yet. Thankfully, Oxfam gave specific details on their website about which shops were open and when, so I took a chance on going to the two shops in nearby Herne Hill. I also popped into the local charity shops in support of St Christopher's Hospice.

This was the first stuff I bought from a charity shop since March, when I got the Five Original albums Series from Free for a fiver in a local RSPCA shop. Yesterday I got:

[​IMG]

I was made up (that's pleased to the ham shanks :)). Gavin Harrison is the King Crimson/Porcupine Tree percussionist (that is the original edition with a DVD 5.1 surround mix), Karl Jenkins was with Soft Machine and now composes, the Dylan book is by Sid Griffin, it is the original edition which has since been updated. The BST is the Dutch/European pressing, I really love those, I have one of Sly and the Family Stone Greatest I play in preference to all other comps. Muddy Waters had some tracks I don't have on other CDs.

Quality not quantity!

Safety precautions were strict in all of these shops - customers asked to use hand sanitizer, limits on people in the shop, donations put in designated crates, one store had a door monitor to explain the new rules of engagement. So well done.

11. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

12. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Not charity per se, but finally got to visit my favourite little used store in Surrey today. Found a great haul.

EG.

13. Fawltykog

Fawltykog "Nothing Is Real"

Found 'Chicken Shack The Complete Blue Horizon Sessions' 3cd set for £1.50 in the local re-opened charity shop which was nice. :)

Man at C&A, Dubmart, MC Rag and 3 others like this.
  14. biilyedwards

biilyedwards Todd Browning's freak

Raising Sand - Robert Plant and Alison Krauss. £1 from Havens Hospices.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  15. HughMacpherson

HughMacpherson Forum Resident

Only one local shop open in last few days. Hoping for a few more opening tomorrow.

The one visit generated 3 x Bon Jovi CDs (stop sniggering at the back..), a 2CD special edition of Neon Ballroom by Silverchair and a promise of a George Harrison record from the shop assistant who has been unable to bring it in to the shop since lockdown. Best of the bunch was a Soundtrack CD by Joe Hisaishi, My Neighbour Totoro, which has sold on discogs for £27+

All CDs were 50p each, total spend £2.50.

Mylene, Dubmart, MC Rag and 6 others like this.
  16. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I did see some Bon Jovi CDs at my local Air Ambulance shop. As they sell CDs 10 for £1, they would have been essentially free. But ultimately I passed.

17. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Saw an original/early Slippery When Wet today, but I've got the remaster so it'll do for me. I'm not enough of a fan of the album.

EG.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  18. minibreakfast

First car boot in months today. Well organised, not too busy, but barely anyone masked, and plenty of f****wits going the wrong way down the clearly marked one-way system. And male crate diggers seem particularly unwilling/unable to socially distance.

Got some records though, hurrah.

19. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, Blood Sweat and Tears! Great.

rikki nadir likes this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I bought the Blu Ray Audio disc of that. Actually has video content for once. Disc sounds good, though it’s louder than I like.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  21. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Some of these later European Columbia CD use the mastersound gold mastering. I remember someone pointing out that my copy of Bridge Over Troubled Water was the same mastering as the fabled mastersound gold CD. It probably only cost me £1 in some charity shop.
    Album details - Dynamic Range Database

I don't think BST's Greatest Hits has ever been remastered though.

rikki nadir and HughMacpherson like this.
  22. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

From my local Air Ambulance yesterday.

Genesis The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (the old Virgin made by EMI Swindon).

I was surprised to see it as they are a clearance shop. It must have been a local donation. As it was 10 for £1, I decided to help myself to some other CDs.

Prince Purple Rain (didn't need it, but it was a nice copy. I'll put it up in the trading thread)
    The Very Best of The Smiths
    The Singular Adventures of The Style Council

Genesis Duke (definite edition remaster)
    Mojo Presents Stax Soul Power
    Come On Let's Go
    (compiled by Paul Weller for Mojo)
    Mojo Presents Move On Up
    Kaiser Chiefs The Future Is Medieval
    A Secret History - The Best of The Devine Comedy

23. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Great comps.

EG.

24. Chris Treece

Chris Treece Forum Resident

That's a divine comp.

LivingForever and Eric_Generic like this.
  25. HughMacpherson

HughMacpherson Forum Resident

I can take/leave Bon Jovi. It was really a donation to the shop till and also keeping in with the shop asst in the hope she brings in that George Harrison record for me!! :agree: