UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

A George Harrison record would be special as I rarely encounter him on any format. Even a Bon Jovi record would be special these days.

HughMacpherson likes this.
  2. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

Very first trip out today, to the chazzers... Went to at least a dozen of my usual places, but only 2 open; still managed to break the seal..

£3 got me;

MBV - Loveless
    The Best Of Neil Diamond
    Bryan Ferry - As Time Goes By
    Genesis - Trespass (1994 CD)
    Paul Simon - Capeman
    Joy Division - Closer (my favourite album of all time, which I've got in several editions, but couldn't pass it, for the sake of half-a-dollar; it's the 1992, which inexplicably had a yellow cover. Not white, not off-white, but yellow!)

Good to be dipping a toe back into the water :cool:

3. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Brilliant find! I’ve never encountered ANYTHING by Chicken Shack in any charity shop.

Fawltykog likes this.
  4. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

5. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

The latest CD issue of Closer has the yellow cover.

Eric_Generic and johnnybrum like this.
  6. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The weather held yesterday, but as the forcast had been bad turnout was down, I bought records from two sellers, the people with the 1950s US pressings were back, I got in second so missed 20 good classical, did get a few good classical including two Mercury Living Stereos and the last record which is the Angel version of Peter And The Wolf, I have haven't checked, but assume it's the same as the British ASD, the US stuff was still 50p a go so I bought one for the sleeve and decided I'd get a six eye "West Side Story" in nice condition as it seemed rude not to. the first few were from a different seller and were £2-£3 each, Queen and Tracy Chapman will be good trades with local shops, this seller supposedly has a couple of hundred records I want, but haven't sorted them out so far, likewise I need to hit the people with the US pressings first next week as I think there's an outside chance they may have a six eye "Kind Of Blue" among their records. Apart from the records I bought two soundtrack CDs and managed to find my brother all seven seasons of "Law & Order UK", six of them sealed for £1 each, they fetch very good money so he's lucky he mentioned he wanted them and that I only charged him what they cost, I guess they were my find of the day.

[​IMG]

MC Rag, Eric_Generic, MrSka57 and 3 others like this.
  7. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Several years ago, I found that Tracy Chapman LP in the local Cancer Research for 75p.

Dubmart likes this.
  8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

`
    I think mint copies fetch £15 around here now, I remember when they were only £1 or £2 in record shops, it's a nice album, but I already have a mint copy, I may get a pound or two more in trade for it than I paid plus I'm still trying to get some nice records out of the seller so bought what I could.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  9. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I would need to see it under a bright light to see if my copy was mint, but it looked and sounded nice enough at the time (I tend to grab a CD copy when I want to listen to the album).

Eric_Generic likes this.
  10. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I know mine's mint because about 18 months ago I discovered I had three copies which was a pleasant surprise, one was EX- , one NM and one absolutely perfect so I kept that one, that's also why I know what they fetch.:righton:

Eric_Generic likes this.
  11. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

Shelley Manne, always worth grabbing his stuff.

Dubmart likes this.
  12. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

Elbow ~ The Seldom Seen Kid
    Housemartins/Beautiful South ~ Soup
    Kings Of Leon ~ Because Of The Night
    Eminem ~ Slim Shady
    Totally Two Tone
    CDs - 5 for £1

I have so missed the buzz you get from finding a new pile of CDs :)

13. InPurpleRainbows

InPurpleRainbows Well-Known Member

Best charity shop CD find for me is still Rachid Taha's album 'Zoom' in Cambridge RSPCA a few years ago.

Was 50p but gave them more because i couldn't believe my luck. Condition was barely played with a just slightly worn digipak case which made me think that it was unwanted and probably unlistened. I already had a couple of his albums from the early 2000s but hadn't kept up with later releases of his so I didn't even know of Zoom's existence. I took it home pretty happy but not expecting much, but it got even better to find out it was a really great album.

For those not familiar with Taha, he was a French Algerian singer songwriter who was a big self-confessed Clash fan and made albums of melodic and rhythmic dance-rock often featuring crunching guitar riffs and hypnotic drum beats, shot through with a bit of social commentary, politics and a sense of fun. Worked with Brian Eno and Steve Hillage among others before he died a couple of years ago far too young at 59.

14. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

This statement made my day.
    I found a sealed mono King and I prior to lockdown for $1.

Dubmart likes this.
  15. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

There's a "King And I" in that pile as well.:laugh:

I'd have loved to have seen this collection intact and know the story, it's about 95% US pressings from maybe 1955 through to the early sixties with the odd later thing, lots of Classical, some Jazz and lots of stage shows/soundtracks, almost all in excellent condition, US albums from that period are really scarce over here, imports were prohibitively expensive, the only time I've seen them in quantity is from people who worked on cruise liners, in this case I suspect it belonged to an American or someone who lived there for a period and had both money and taste, I can only wonder what their record deck, amp and speakers were.

MrSka57, MC Rag and Eric_Generic like this.
  16. HughMacpherson

HughMacpherson Forum Resident

£3 for MBV and Closer is great. Nevermind the others - well done!! :righton:

johnnybrum and Eric_Generic like this.
  17. HughMacpherson

A quick run-round of Clacks charity shops, out of 6 places visited, only 1 (British Heart Foundn) was open, with handwash, one-way systems, poly screen at till and masks for staff. The Salv Army shop was closed, but staff were working inside which appeared piled high with donation bags. Some shops had signs up indicating opening later in the week/next week.

In BHF, got 6 CDs in a 3 for £1 deal, but nothing startling (Lamchop/Fiona Apple/Tanita Tikaram/REM/Deacon Blue /Idlewild).
    A slow start, maybe some better results later on? :shrug:

Dave S, Eric_Generic and johnnybrum like this.
  18. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Decent haul! What was the Tanita?

EG.

HughMacpherson likes this.
  19. HughMacpherson

Ancient Heart. Don't know how I haven't got one before now. Must have sold shed loads.

Turns out I have the Deacon Blue one already (the 2CD Ooh Las Vegas compilation in a "fatboy" case). So its available if anybody wants it. Could've sworn I didn't have it. Memory cells playing up.....:rolleyes:

Eric_Generic likes this.
  20. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Ancient Heart's a classic. Such a great sounding CD, too.

Hope someone snares that Deacon Blue...it really is a terrific set. But then I always loved their B-sides and outtakes.

EG.

21. BurntOutBassment

BurntOutBassment Forum Resident

Went into town today to visit Missing, got an early US CD of NY Everybody's Rockin, on the way home noticed that The Ice Box, a kind of community non-profit shop/space in The Gorbals was open again, got some cool stuff there. Prince - Purple rain Half Target, Pat Metheney - Zero Tolerence of Silence CD, Crosby & Nash - Whistling down the wire , Cassette and a Saudi Cass of NY After The Goldrush. The result of the day was Mike Oldfield - Killing Fields Soundtrack, UK Chrysalis Blueface in a smooth case. Tenner all in including the CD from Missing. Also spotted a DVD-A , which is unusual, Steve Forbert - From The Front Row, If anyone from the CD Trading Thread interested in that let me know and I'll go and grab it. Good day back.

AveryKG, Dave S, garrincha and 3 others like this.
  22. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

The Killing Fields is on Virgin, hence the blue face. Early Chrysalis CDs are grey faced. I visited Missing last year, where I found a Phil Collins Face Value blue face and Eagles On the Border target. I remember the Phil Collins disc was still in the case (normally it would be a Nimbus disc). The Eagles disc had West German inserts, so always worth checking.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  23. BurntOutBassment

Yeah was looking at some Jethro Tull stuff and had a few beers when I got home , hence my confusion. Spent a few hours there ,the only WG inserts I saw were for Clapton Backtracking , had a check incase it was the full red, but it was the silver RSO. Loads of Eagles but all Germany Alsdorf. The other place I went say they've got a large room full of donations to sort thru , Killing Fields was in a double stack of soundtrack Cds 3 feet high, I'll go back end of the week .

24. BurntOutBassment

Was playing a few Runrig lps last night as well, probably why I had chrysalis on the brain .

MC Rag likes this.
  25. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I got one of these myself at the weekend.

EG.

BurntOutBassment likes this.