UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Considering it was very damp the boot sale was busy today, but very poor for music, I bought half a dozen records, none of which are even worth mentioning, though my friend picked up a Free Design LP which was a nice find, I did get some Lego as the usual dealers weren't around and more Britain's soldiers, actually knights, but the boot sale has lost it's spark and feels more like the middle of winter than summer.

minibreakfast and Man at C&A like this.
  2. BurntOutBassment

BurntOutBassment Forum Resident

Apologies for straying off-topic here, I saw a Julian Cope CD in missing yesterday in a smooth case. From '92. Never considered that it could be the original case.
    Back to the shops , couple of early WG classical and another US Blue Note CD, Best of Wayne Shorter. Got Dire Straits Brothers in Arms SACD for £6 in Missing. That doubles the size of my (non-classical) SACD collection.

Dave S and Eric_Generic like this.
  3. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

Same here. Drizzly but well attended, lotsa junk. Bought three records.

BurntOutBassment and Dubmart like this.
  4. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

3 for £1 at the Cancer Research.

The Beastie Boys Anthology: The Sounds of Science
    Various Back to the Future - Music from the Motion Picture Soundtrack
    Various Point Break - Music from the Motion Picture

Given the popularity of The Beastie Boys, where are the CDs? Never seen the last two soundtrack CDs in a charity shop. At least it makes a change from Dirty Dancing.

5. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Nice one, if just for the exclusive (at the time) Lindsey Buckingham track.

EG.

6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Got a still sealed CD of The Rolling Stones - Blue and Lonesome for 50p today.

I love the Stones but wasn't even slightly inspired to buy this one on release. It just seems a lazy effort, but at that price I'll give it a go. The original owner obviously found it just as inspiring!

7. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

I think I got mine for 50p too - most things are worth a punt at that price. Mine wasn't sealed though so I assume my previous owner had at least given it a listen!

8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That doesn't bode well!

9. biilyedwards

biilyedwards Todd Browning's freak

Back to the Future soundtrack?! You've given me an idea for what I might ask for my birthday, great find. That Buckingham song is terrific.

10. BurntOutBassment

BurntOutBassment Forum Resident

Chazzas round here seem to be staying closed on Mondays. Did get Police - Synchronicity yesterday. UK Nimbus with a stick-on barcode for some reason.
    Had a look in my shelves, Ill Communication is the only Beasties I've found in a charity shop.

mradmack likes this.
  11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I tend to find only the last few Beasties CDs show up in charities and not often. The only Beastie Boys CD I've bought from a charity is The Sound of Science double. Possibly Paul's Boutique too. I can't remember buying that one.

12. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

I bought that Beasties CD, but in the big book format, in a chazza,many years ago (10 years?)....I seem to remember, it wasn't that cheap, maybe as much as £5, but it was sealed so I figured it was worth it...

This edition, here... www.discogs.com/Beastie-Boys-Anthology-The-Sounds-Of-Science/release/3068897

So I stuck it on eBay, and didn't get so much as a sniff, even on a 99p start... :sigh:

I've still got it, and it's still sealed !! Love the B-Boys anyway; right up there as one of the all-time greats... :)

13. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Maybe that explains why the soundtrack is so uncommon. It also explains why I've never seen the LP.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    Eric_Generic likes this.
  14. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Beastie-wise, I found The In Sound From Way Out instrumental compilation years ago, but the digipack was utterly munted so I let it go. Pretty sure I've seen The Sounds of Science and Hello Nasty too, and I picked up Licenced To Ill from the car boot years ago.

15. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

In Carnforth this morning, and I found AgeUK open. Came away with a-ha 'East of the Sun, West of the Moon,' and Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark 'The OMD Singles' (1999 reissue), for 99p each. There was also Cornershop 'Handcream for a Generation,' also 99p, but no foldout insert, so I passed on that one. Maybe I'll call in again next week and see if it's still there.

16. newelectricmuse

My local Age UK also houses an advice centre for the elderly - it's quite a large shop so hopefully it will stay open (it's back open although I haven't been yet).

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  17. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

I'm thinking of asking around for a volunteering job locally, but having just started my retirement 1) I don't want to commit myself to too many days stuck in a shop, as I want to get out and about travelling and walking, and 2) I have no idea if someone of my age would be taken on as a volunteer now. Having only had one weekend off in four at work for the last six years, I don't really want to do any more weekend work.

18. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'm pretty sure people will be glad to have you and on your terms, if not go elsewhere, all I'm hearing is of people who are not going to go back, regardless of whether charity shops are worried about older or other vulnerable volunteers I suspect their pool of potential staff is now much smaller, due to people being scared or in many cases deciding they want to use their time for other things, I've talked to a couple of people who have volunteered for years and still support the charities, but even they have said no to future involvement, things are going to be very different moving forward.

19. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

I hope you got their book from last year - great stuff.

johnnybrum likes this.
  20. newelectricmuse

I'm still working (or would be if I wasn't still on furlough) but for me it would be like an alcoholic working in an off licence!

21. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

like Dracula in a blood bank... :agree:

22. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

In my experience a lot of volunteers only do a couple of hours a week, most shops are happy with that if you can do something useful.

Miles1968 and AlmostHeavenWV like this.
  23. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

Atomic/Atomix ~ Blondie

50p - CD

24. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

Amazon currently have a bunch of £2.99 CDs. Nothing collectible, and some dross, but several good collection fillers for thrifty types: Amazon.co.uk : cd

25. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I remember after the financial crash a decade ago, Amazon had loads of cheap CDs (with free shipping). They were of course competing with play and other online vendors. Most cheap CDs I will pick up from charity shops for pocket change (something that wasn't happening 10 years ago).

I can't remember what I paid for a Japan for Europe copy of Neil Diamond's Beautiful Noise, but it similar to Amazon's price including shipping.