UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

Went into a newly re-opened chazza today. There was a stack of LPs (nothing good), but no CD section. This particular town only has two charity shops remaining, both of which now don't carry CDs.

Dave S, Eric_Generic and biilyedwards like this.
  2. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

Great stuff. Any targets are good, and those ones have decent music on them!

biilyedwards, Dave S and Eric_Generic like this.
  3. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

Kraftwerk ~ Tour De France Soundtracks

Cd - £1.10

4. Fawltykog

Fawltykog "Nothing Is Real"

Goes green with envy here.!

5. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

My two bargain CDs from Amazon came today (delivered seperately by different carriers). A bit annoyed that BOTH had cracked cases. I know I can replace the cases but... Obviously the plastic packaging they use now isn't up to the job. I don't know what happened to the sturdier recyclable cardboard packaging they used to use. Still, despite this annoyance, two good bargains!

Eric_Generic likes this.
  6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Mine all arrived today too. Thankfully all perfect.

newelectricmuse and Eric_Generic like this.
  7. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I've had 3 of the 4 (Knopfler isn't expected until September!). Two are perfect, being jewel cases, and sealed.

The other, a digipak, was crushed on the spine/corner. Sent it back yesterday, and a replacement came today. Perfect this time. I no longer assume a digipak will always be damaged and try at least another copy (or more if they allow).

EG.

Man at C&A and newelectricmuse like this.
  8. newelectricmuse

I looked to see if I could return them for a replacement but it was only offering me a refund on these (which of course I didn't want, as the prices have gone back up). Mine were sealed jewel cases as well. Digipaks are definitely a lottery!

Eric_Generic likes this.
  9. Rossman

Rossman Forum Resident

I had to go to Darlington today so obviously checked the charity shops. Most were open but I was disappointed to see that the Dog's Trust is no longer there.

First stop was the out of town St Theresa's Hospice superstore where I got 6 CDs for 10p each

Lester Young - Jazz Masters 30
    Clannad - Magical Ring
    Sinatra - At The Sands
    Shirley Bassey - Shirley/with Nelson Riddle twofer
    Pont Blank label Sampler - We're Not Jivin', We're Jammin'
    Tina Turner - Private Dancer

I wouldn't usually go for Tina Turner but it didn't have a barcode and was an A1A variant. I am loving the Point Blank sampler of early 90s blues, Albert Collins and Walter Wolfman Washington especially.

The town itself was quite poor for music purchases. I did get an upgrade on my Sade - Diamond life to a unscratched earlier DADC copy for a pound in Cancer Research. I deliberated about Eagles - Hotel California Alsdorf issue with a slightly torn booklet but bought it in Scope, again for a pound and had a punt on Dario Domingues - Children of South America for 50p in Oxfam but I'm not impressed, pan flute, brasilian percussion and "experimental" guitar and vocals, just boring imo.

10. newelectricmuse

I'm planning to revisit my pre-Covid charity shop circuit tomorrow morning so I'll see what's open and what's not. I have two vulnerable people in my bubble so I've been extra cautious up to now. But as face masks become compulsory in shops from tomorrow I'm feeling a bit better about going out.

minibreakfast and MC Rag like this.
  11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The Dogs Trust one closed before lockdown. A shame, they got some good stuff in. Were any of the record selling places open? I'm thinking of the one in the front of the indoor market and the one across the road from and near Oxfam that sells games and stuff too. That shop is great for cheap CDs.

12. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

The Thames Hospice in town, which was first to re-open, has either closed or (more likely) moved elsewhere or been subsumed into a bigger alternative venue. Couldn't tell from driving past, but it's been cleared out, and there's a sign on the windows.

EG.

13. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I don't go there often enough to know when it happened, but one or two shops slightly further afield for me appear to have gone, the local ones are still below 50% open, although the ones that are seem to be doing okay, other than food shops, the post office, two record shops and the local toy shop to say hello to the owner as I hadn't seen him since before lockdown, I haven't been in any shops and with masks coming in I'm even less likely to venture in, funnily enough I couldn't tell you the last time I bought anything online other than the Gillian Welch/David Rawlings record, other than boot sales I've pretty much given up on shopping, not missing it either.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  14. Rossman

Rossman Forum Resident

The indoor market one didn't appear to be open. I'm not sure where you mean opposite Oxfam, I've never noticed a games store there but the one on Post House Wynd opposite Cancer Research was closed as well.

Man at C&A likes this.
  15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I don't know the street names! It's quite a big shop that hasn't been there long, about a year, but it has a lot of CDs and vinyl. Same street as Oxfam, across the road but not directly opposite. Quite near though. If it's open when you're next there it's well worth going in, particularly for CDs. I know Saxosoul records is open there, he's a good guy but it's quite expensive. He has good records though.

16. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm the same, haven't been anywhere yet, but once everyone is wearing facemasks I might check some places near me. Mainly being extra cautious as my mum is on her own and I want to minimize any chance of passing anything on to her through my visits.

17. newelectricmuse

I enjoyed my charity shop circuit this morning - mostly quiet, sanitiser on entry at each shop, just a little more waiting get into the book/CD corner in a few shops. Went to four places - 4 shops open (2 shut); 5(0); 1(1 now closed on Fridays); 6(3). I only bought one CD - Ram It Down by Judas Priest. But I passed on several things that I would have bought pre-lockdown. I think that going cold turkey for all these months has cured me - a miracle!

Dave S and MC Rag like this.
  18. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

Elton John ~ Yellow Brick Road
    CD -50p
    Gong ~ Live At Melkweg.
    DVD - £1

19. newelectricmuse

The Gong was a good find - don't see them around much. I would have bought that too.

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  20. newelectricmuse

Today it was offering a returnless refund to my Amazon account for one of these so went with that!

Eric_Generic likes this.
  21. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Wow, congrats on the Doors targets. The Morrison Hotel one is the forum favourite pressing, preferred over the various audiophile labels. I was looking for it a few years ago and came up with nothing in the UK (although Europe did get its own unique unremastered Silver + Black faced pressing, which I think sounds great).

biilyedwards likes this.
  22. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Nice! Is it the copy protected cd-shaped-thing, or the proper redbook? Got to tread carefully with EMIs of that era.

EAN 724359170824 is the proper redbook.

Dave S and Eric_Generic like this.
  23. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

It turns up now and then on ebay. I picked up a copy just before Christmas for £2.99 plus postage. I got the self titled and LA Woman targets early in lockdown for around £3 each including shipping. I never seen a cheap self titled target before.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  24. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

Went to Warrington today, and on my walk back to the railway station, I saw the Salvation Army shop open. Only found one CD I wanted - Love And Affection: Joan Armatrading Classics (1975-1983) 2-CDs, for £1.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    garrincha, Dave S, Dubmart and 2 others like this.
  25. BurntOutBassment

BurntOutBassment Forum Resident

From mt local Barnardos, Santana - Supernatural/Shaman 2fer, Van Morrison - TB Sheets, Joana Newsom - Ys ( in a nice slipcase). and Elvis - Aloha from Hawaii ( JVC US).
    A new shop opened about half mile from me just before lockdown. Finally managed to catch it open yesterday, 10cc - Changing faces ( WG Polygram), Byrds - Sweetheart of the Rodeo, Blondie - Parallel Lines and New Order - Get Ready. A few West German Jazz and Classical as well.