UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

They're magnificent! I bought the 2nd Fairport set to get Rising For The Moon and Rosie, which I didn't have at all, along with Babbacombe Lee, which I only had on vinyl. I already had all the other Fairport & Sandy albums on CD, but what an incredible deal. I hope some people here are lucky enough to get all three.

2. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Rosie is the only Fairport album of that era that I’m missing and it’s not one of their best, so I’d probably pass on the second set. But anyone who’s even mildly curious should not hesitate: some incredible music going incredibly cheap!

On Saturday, I picked up the Rush Hemispheres special edition (2CD) for £4.99. Rush seem to be in this current sales promotion butt the copy of the Permanent Waves SE that I saw didn’t have a price label on it.

newelectricmuse and Eric_Generic like this.
  3. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

ah man - I spent an absolute age online filling a basket with 2 for 6 deal. I had 10 cd's. mostly jazz. anyway, went to check out and 7 are no longer available!

poor show/tin pot etc

Eric_Generic and newelectricmuse like this.
  4. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

It might be worth checking out your local store. I saw quite a few jazz CDs on my visit to Scotland, but haven't had chance to check out my local store.

garrincha likes this.
  5. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

The other one I saw in HMV's sale was Gregg Allman Laid Back 2CD. Was priced at £5.99, but it might have been £4.99 like the Gong reissues or lower.

6. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

Yes I had a look online as well but quite a few of the items people have been mentioning here were out of stock (annoying when it lets you put it in the basket first though!) Guess there is still stock out in stores - I should go into town really to have a look but haven't been in at all since lockdown. It's a charity shop desert, relatively, so I've been going to a few smaller, less busy places nearby that have more charity shops than the larger place. Went out this morning to a few places but came home empty handed. Maybe that's a good thing!

garrincha and Eric_Generic like this.
  7. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

Bob Dylan ~ Blood On The Tracks
    The Real Bob Dylan - 3 disc set
    The Beatles ~ Sgt Pepper

CD - 3 for £1

8. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

yeah, I don't reaaally want to be going into town though! ah, hang on... just remembered I have to take the car in for some work tomorrow morning, so I'll have a couple hours to kill....

HMV it is!

Eric_Generic likes this.
  9. BurntOutBassment

BurntOutBassment Forum Resident

Couple of randomly interesting bits from the local chazzas today, another two Pat Metheny CDs, the Doors twofer is a Russian boot, the SRV is a US issue, the back says Disc in Japan then Now made in the USA, all the discogs entry's for the cd show it without the wee triangle in a circle thing. And Christy Moore is just great . I've probably got Ride On on cassette somewhere but the CD will get played more.
    [​IMG]

10. mradmack

mradmack Roxanne + Geoff.

Two Bob Dylan LP's today, courtesy of Burntoutbasement. UK mono debut. Cover ratty as anything. Record is marked, but plays really nice. Blonde on Blonde, UK mono. Laminated cover with Claudia Cardinale and the "Stuck inside of Mobile with thee" misprint. CBS inners with the current big stars. The cover has the bottom corners pruned off!, but the discs are flat and clean. A few minor marks. Plays really well for a 54 year old record. Both for under £20

11. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

There are a couple of SRV Pitman CDs on discogs with the triangle. I think yours is a standard Terre Haute copy.

12. BurntOutBassment

Aah very possible, didn't look too closely, got more to post...

13. BurntOutBassment

One of my local shops only opened back up last week and been queues outside every time I pass, just caught it there, got ten for a quid. 2 Board of Canada and Stereolab, both Queens are Made in Holland, pre remaster, only had SHA on Cass before . Also Happy... It's one of the only Mogwai albums I didn't have in any format, got the Godspeed... On vinyl , still handy to have the cd. I almost spent £3 on a BITUSA Cass in Oxfam today but 10p on the CD is a better deal. The Dylan is a three disc comp, probably just play disc3 as I'm still missing some of his later albums. Good wee haul.
    [​IMG]

14. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I'm hoping to find an early CBS press of Born In The USA.

EG.

Man at C&A likes this.
  15. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Great haul! Still got the original white tray on the Stereolab too - the presentation of their CDs in that era was just perfect.

I’m a big fan of Happy Songs For Happy People. What’s the BoC album that isn’t Music Has The Right To Children?

16. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I’d be happy to swap you mine for your Go Insane CD.

:D

Eric_Generic likes this.
  17. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Funny guy ;)

EG.

Dave S and Bobby Morrow like this.
  18. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Any particular reason? Early Bruce Springsteen CBS titles are fairly common.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  19. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I just like the design of the early CBS and Epic CDs....the discs, the spines of the tray, etc. I have a later pressing (actually, I have the 73-84 box version now), and have been getting other CBS/Epic early pressings of stuff like Thriller, No Parlez, An Innocent Man and Diamond Life...

EG.

George Cooke likes this.
  20. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I always keep an eye out for these early CBS related CDs (CBS, Epic, plus other labels), but only pick up the ones made in Japan (CSR and JVC), USA DADC, France MPO, West Germany PDO, and Switzerland ICM. On one occasion I did find three early Bruce Springsteen CBS CDs in a Marie Curie shop, including the JVC Greetings that I had been after, but no Born in the USA.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  21. BurntOutBassment

Hi, it's a 3 track Peel session from '98 on warp, disk styled to look like a CD-R.

22. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

And featuring the fantastic "Happy Cycling". Agree that's an incredible haul. I probably spent 100 times what you paid buying most of those albums on release!

Eric_Generic likes this.
  23. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

I’ve found discogs to be pretty good for selling rarer CDs and have sold around 30 items including box sets etc all at really decent prices and pretty quickly during lockdown. The good thing with discogs as well is that you can see how many people are looking for an item and how frequently it’s selling which helps when targeting what to list.

LivingForever and Eric_Generic like this.
  24. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

There's a flea market going on outside my office today and one of the tables has a WG Target Purple Rain, I've already got the regular and deluxe cd, plus 3 lp's, is it work picking up?

BurntOutBassment likes this.
  25. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Get it :)

EG.

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.