UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWV

3 CDs for £1 in Lancaster's Salvation Army shop. I found Bill Jones - Panchpuran, and the soundtrack to an Indian-language film, Dhadkan, music by Nadeem-Shravan. Added a Cuban Salsa comp to make up the three.

Also found The Bill Evans Trio with Stan Getz - But Beautiful in Barnardos (£1), and then went to Oxfam, as last week I'd seen a Richard Harris comp of his first two albums there for £2.99. Not a bad price compared to Discogs, so I picked that up too.

2. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Looked in my local this morning, nothing of interest to me unfortunately.

A few vaguely unusual things - a Tanya Donnelly solo album, Jon Boden's not-very-good debut solo album (I love his post-apocalyptic trilogy, however), and a late-era Counting Crows album of cover songs, that smacks of artistic decline, still in shrink.

I've actually been buying some new (gasp!) CDs lately so I'm not short of tunes at the moment.

3. Great Face For Radio

Great Face For Radio Sing Hosanna, the jazz snobs are all going home.

Which Tanya Donnelly album was it? If it was Beautysleep I'd rush back and get it straight away. The others are good too.

4. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

I think it may indeed be Beautysleep. Throwing Muses and Belly are two bands that technically should be in the sweet-spot of my personal Venn diagram, but I've always bounced off in the past, and the first Breeders album is one I admire more than enjoy.

It has been there since re-opening, so perhaps I'll give it a shot next time I call in - if nothing else it'll clear a space on the shelf for something new!

5. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Before it closed, my local BHF priced CDs at £2.99 for popular bands/artists (Beatles, Fleetwood Mac), £1.99 for less popular bands/artists (Depeche Mode, Gary Numan), and 99p for popular and the unknown. So you would find trashed Tango in the Night CDs priced higher than highly desirable CDs by lesser known bands/artists. Then they became a clearance shop with single CDs 50p and doubles £1. I found a Velvet Underground bootleg and some Zappa CDs around this time. They once had an US copy of the first Flying Burrito Brothers LP for £15. I meant to have a look at it, but it sold before I did.

6. Great Face For Radio

Great Face For Radio Sing Hosanna, the jazz snobs are all going home.

It's worth it for this gorgeous track alone:

Eric_Generic likes this.
  7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The records are either filed or have been given away traded so no pics, but the CDs from my first two boot sales were still sat in a box, there were a few more, but this will give you an idea, all either 10p or 20p except the Jimmy James which was 50p, "Good Times" is signed. There were other decent CDs from the same people, but I'm trying to only buy things I want or good Reggae, though if the prices stay low I might get carried away and utter the classic "how much for the lot?", we'll see how things pan out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

A showery look round the chazzas earlier today, with a variety of pricing strategies.

BHF - 99p each:
    [​IMG]

Children's Society - 3 for 99p:
    [​IMG]

Sue Ryder - £1.25 each:
    [​IMG]

The Big C - £1:
    [​IMG]

Lots of people ducking into the shops to escape the rain, only to be asked to wait outside due to Covid restrictions!

9. minibreakfast

I'm running out of places to stack the waiting unplayed CDs. They're everywhere.

10. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

I know what you mean. Getting loads lately really cheap.

minibreakfast likes this.
  11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've got loads too. It's now at the stage where anything with a crap cover or booklet, compilations without booklets, stuff I like but don't play much and artists / genres I don't collect or albums I have on vinyl too are losing their jewel cases for thin wallets. But that's OK, it creates space to store more!

minibreakfast likes this.
  12. minibreakfast

All my jewel cases go now. It's just a shame that all the modern jazz CDs from this morning are in digipaks. Too nice to bin!

My Kallax drawers insert should turn up tomorrow. It'll be full of re-sleeved CDs in no time at this rate. :)

Man at C&A likes this.
  13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I can't rid of the jewel cases on the majority of my CDs. It might happen sometime but not in the near future. It makes them seem insignificant! They'd probably end up scattered all over the house in disarray too.

14. minibreakfast

15. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

MC Rag and minibreakfast like this.
  16. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

John Lewis in a 3 for 99p....never knowingly undersold.

EG.

17. minibreakfast

Haha!

Had that on first, it's wonderful.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  18. minibreakfast

It's either that or stop buying CDs... :(

19. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Same here. I'm torturing myself with the decision over whether I should magic most of my storage problems away by jettisoning the jewelcases. But I can't bring myself to do it.

EG.

20. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

:laugh:

To be fair, that's quite a good advert for going that way and embracing the PVC.

Oh that sounds a bit kinky!

EG.

21. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Jagger69 and minibreakfast like this.
  23. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

CD storage has become a major issue, I'm currently pulling out soundtracks and putting them back on display as there is just enough room between the top of some record shelves and the ceiling to fit a row of CDs in, but that will be the only genre that's not partially or completely kept in boxes. Other than a large extension, (I wish), I'm not sure of the solution, I've already become very selective when it comes to CD buying and getting rid of doubles will help, but if they aren't out on display I'm not properly appreciating them, for me losing the cases isn't a route I want to take.

24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That's how I feel too, which is why only ones with crap covers etc are losing jewel cases.

In outside charity shop buying, I got the Bim Sherman Pressure Sounds compilation we were talking about a few weeks ago and more great reggae CDs thanks to the generous and good guy Rossman who posts here. I'm very appreciative and grateful.

25. minibreakfast