UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

When I first I saw it I thought it was k.d. Lang.:D

2. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

:laugh:

Roddy is perhaps the only male popstar I ever had a man-crush on.

EG.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  3. Station2Station

Station2Station Forum Resident

There's a lot of incredible finds listed on this particular page.
    My finds are so very few and far apart, here in Australia.
    Count yourselves lucky!

rikki nadir, wrappedinsky and MC Rag like this.
  4. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I'm guessing it is either an US (CD-3601) or European (CDA 63601) market issue, rather than one of the numerous Japanese market releases. Nice work. I like to find those early Japanese A&M master plus discs.

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  5. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

Yes, CD-3601, booklet and inlay printed in U.S.A., no barcode, but the disc is Audio Master Plus, Made In Japan. So was it made before the US manufactured CDs?

6. Rossman

Rossman Forum Resident

I don't know about Melbourne but I've always had lots of finds in Sydney on the occasions that I have got to visit.

rikki nadir and MC Rag like this.
  7. Fawltykog

Fawltykog "Nothing Is Real"

Talking of Bootlegs this is the only one so far i've found in the local charity shops around a year or so ago...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rikki nadir, Jagger69, Mylene and 6 others like this.
  8. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

The one on discogs is made by Matsushita. If the matrix is stamped (not hand etched), then it is not so early. I think the DADC plant was one of the earliest US plants manufacturing CDs (in 1984), but they probably didn't make discs for A&M. AFAIK A&M mostly used Denon for their early US market discs. Denon discs can be dated. Also, the earliest A&M discs have inserts printed in Japan.

9. Albiegator

Albiegator Forum Resident

Earlier this week, I was in Hillingdon and popped in to a Cancer Research shop. Got 'The Original Soundtrack' by 10CC for £2. I've got a couple of their compilations but don't really know their stuff other than the many hits I used to hear on the radio as a kid in the 70's. The vinyl is a bit scuffed and crackles a bit (but doesn't jump thankfully) and there's a fantastic monochrome gatefold sleeve design from Hipgnosis. Fellow Queen fans may have heard that some claim 'Une Nuit A Paris' could have possibly inspired Freddie when writing Bohemian Rhapsody...
    Back in North London today and in a St Lukes, I picked up a UK late 70's/early 80's reissue of Band On The Run for £3 and a UK 12" of the '88 mix of Blue Monday for £5. Already got a few copies of BOTR, but not a UK pressing on vinyl and this one was cut by Harry Moss. Never thought the '88 mix of Blue Monday was as good as the original, but pleased to have got this. Apparently, Quincy Jones supervised production. Who knew?

10. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

NO are/were on his QWEST label in the U.S. at the time. Almost as strange as Chris Rea being on Motown!

EG.

11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Was he? A local lad ended up on Motown? Incredible. He was a Motown fan as a kid.

12. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Yeah, around 1986...not sure how long the contract lasted but Let's Dance definitely came out on Motown in the US! He mentions how chuffed he was, in the liner notes to one of the reissues.

EG.

13. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I never really thought about it even though I have some NO releases on Qwest. Joy Division also ended up on Qwest.

Albiegator and Eric_Generic like this.
  14. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

I have UP and Closer on lp on Qwest, they didn’t release Still
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dubmart, Eric_Generic, D.B. and 3 others like this.
  15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Years ago I got a few 60s Motown / R'n'B records from a charity shop in Newcastle and they had his name wrote on the labels. They were almost certainly his, the right era for his youth (he'd have been about 15 / 16) and such an unusual name.

They were great and I still have a couple, unfortunately not the ones with his full name wrote on them. They were all playable but very scratched and scuffed without sleeves. There was The Temptations, Spencer Davis Group, Jimmy Cliff and Sugar Pie DeSanto (fantastic!) that I bought, but a lot that I left because I already had them.

16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That label design really doesn't suit the music!

17. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Wonder if there are some James Ingram LPs on Factory.... :D

EG.

18. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I'm surprised they didn't go on Sire, which would have made more sense.

19. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I'm in Melbourne and I never have any trouble finding stuff. Plus I'm not a hoarder so I leave everything I've already got or don't want.

20. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

In a city of 5m people, there must be good areas and bad areas for finding stuff.

The little Melbourne near me is a dead loss.

21. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The difference between a good thrift and a bad thrift is down to the management. There's some Salvos shops I'll go into every day but others once a year ( and that's usually a waste of time).

rikki nadir and minibreakfast like this.
  22. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

My best haul for ages. A fiver in total for this lot (17 discs):
    • Weather Report – Heavy Weather (£1)
    • Adrian Sherwood – Never Trust a Hippy (50p)
    • Pretenders – Get Close w/bonus tracks (50p)
    • Cowboy Junkies – Lay It Down (50p)
    • Various – Right Now: Atlantic Club Soul and Deep Cuts 3-CD set (50p)
    • Various – Doo Woo Chartbusters 10-CD set (£2)

23. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Obviously that last one should have read Doo Wop, not Doo Woo. I need glasses!

24. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

Some £1 CDs today.

[​IMG]

Plus a few LPs including these two. A bit pricier than my usual spend, but it seems they are well worth it, especially the US pressing of Juice.

[​IMG]

25. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

I read it as Doo Doo ...