UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

The Cinematic Orchestra are always worth a listen although 'Ma Fleur' strays away from their usual "one chord for ten minutes and let's see where it goes" to be a little too Coldplay in parts for my taste. That 'Edits, Loops and Soundbeats' though, I never even knew existed, so that looks interesting.

LivingForever and minibreakfast like this.
  2. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

[​IMG]

Recent finds.

Today I went to Crystal Palace and there was not a lot tempting me, but I got a promo of the Tummy Touch Records mix double CD Sounds Good In The Nude for 50p
    The Fugazi was a recent find in a '3 for a Pound' bin of DVDs and CDs. I spotted a couple of John Le Carre audiobook CD sets there for a friend, and needed one more to make up the three. The Fugazi debut is a great set, it is a remastered copy.

The Tenet DVD I got for one pound fifty, which is great. I went over to a friend's recently, and she wanted to rent it online, but the prices were quite high so we watched something else instead. Now I can take it over and leave it with her to pass on to another friend after we watch, with my sincere apologies to the multi-billion dollar film industry. As my best friend says, when thinking of paying to rent or download, ask yourself if you might be able to find a physical copy around and save a bit of money.

The stuff from St Christopher's Hospice I got yesterday is much treasured. I actually like and approve of their policy of marking the good stuff high, as it then sticks around, passed over by the flippers and the casually interested. Plus the guy who does the physical media now knows me and says stuff like 'have a look out for Doctor Who on the bottom shelf'. Pleased with everything there, which is all on my want list, and the money goes to a good cause.

David Gilmour In Concert DVD - £5
    Doctor Who - The War Games DVD - £4
    Mission Impossible Season 3 - £7

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  3. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Mission Impossible S3 is a cracker. That's as far as I've managed to get up to, as Seasons 4-7 are in storage, but it's the peak of the classic M:I line-up.

EG.

rikki nadir likes this.
  4. Duncan Day

Duncan Day Middle Aged Savage

Nothing happening around here at all. Best I’ve found this week were a couple of those dreadful double CD New Order reissues from a few years ago - Power Corruption & Lies and Brotherhood- which I left behind. Not even worth the £1 price sticker. And some Peter Tosh disks which I’ve already got.

rikki nadir likes this.
  5. Duncan Day

That Who one is 3 disks isn’t it ??? That’s a good find although personally I think it’s a dreadful story. Some great extra features though.

rikki nadir likes this.
  6. JonW

JonW That's just the name of the shop, love!

Had quite a good day in Tunbridge Wells. Barnados had some sealed CDs marked as "Pre-owned and Refurbished" at £1.99 each or 3 for £5. I wasn't sure if I would be able to find anything but saw The Doors "Strange Days" and then Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man "Out of Season" (very happy to find that one). Decided to try Lionrock "An Instinct for Detection" as the third disc. On getting home and opening them, I came to the conclusion that "Pre-owned and Refurbished" actually means "let's seal up the more scratched CDs and see if they sell" as well as "unnecessary single-use plastic waste".

The "Strange Days" is from 1985, and it seems from discogs that there are two different West German releases of "Strange Days" from 1985 but with the same barcode. The one I found is this one, but it seems the other one is a bit more collectable.

From other shops I was able to start an instant Sinead O'Connor collection with "I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got" (£1) and "Sean-Nos Nua" (50p).

Lots of listening for the week ahead!

7. Duncan Day

That Rustin Man album is fantastic (apart from the last track). Shame the other Rustin Man albums are so patchy.

Eric_Generic and JonW like this.
  8. JonW

Good to know, thanks! I haven't heard any of it yet, but looking forward to it and so far I'm considering it to be a "good find"! :laugh: Luckily it's not as scratched as the other two. "I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got" is at the other extreme, it might even be unplayed (so far as one can tell with CDs).

Eric_Generic and Duncan Day like this.
  9. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

CDs are 50p in the Leeds Hospitals shop, and I found
    Status Quo - Rocking All Over The Years comp.
    Enya - Watermark. I only noticed last week I hadn't got this one, so it was a nice find even though I've seen them quite often before.
    My pot luck choice was Yann Tiersen - rue des cascades. The 6-page fold-out insert is stuck together, looks like someone spilt coffee over it, but the disc is okay.

Remember a few weeks ago, I was asking if anyone ever saw Bucks Fizz CDs in charity shops? I finally found one today, in Sue Ryder, Knottingley - 2CD Up Until Now...The 30th Anniversary Hits Collection for £1. Well chuffed with that one.

JonW, MC Rag, rikki nadir and 3 others like this.
  10. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

That's a cracking album. I have most of Tiersen's stuff, and everything up to L'Absente is fried gold. I think he lost his way a bit after that after the success of Amelie made him appear a bit chocolate boxy. That soundtrack is largely a selection of a certain kind of track from those first five albums, but other tracks from those albums reflect his more experimental, multi-instrumental side. His gigs are famously deafening, earplugs required.

He went in a slightly post-rock direction after that which I personally felt was a bit less distinctive. I absolutely love Eusa though, his fairly recent solo piano album.

AlmostHeavenWV and LivingForever like this.
  11. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

I am enjoying the story so far. It is considered a classic among some fans, and of course it is the last story before Patrick Troughton left the show. It is also the first introduction of time Lords and the Doctor's race.

'Historically significant but a few episodes too long' is the consensus. :)

Yes, it has three discs with loads of extras.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    AlmostHeavenWV and Duncan Day like this.
  12. Duncan Day

Yeah don’t listen to me :). My Who taste is often at odds with general fan wisdom. I mean, I enjoy The Dominators:D

rikki nadir likes this.
  13. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

I saw that CD today for 50p. Didn’t buy it. I only know THAT single. Is the album any good?

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  14. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Watermark is an excellent album...it's very ethereal, and not just a dozen variations of Orinocco Flow. Maybe even her best (Shepherd Moons possibly just pips it to that honour).

EG.

15. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Thanks. I might go back and see if it’s still there.

AlmostHeavenWV and Eric_Generic like this.
  16. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

If it says mastering by Rothschild et al., then it is from the 1988 remastered series. The Polygram disc is the original issue. Strange Days is the only original mastering I'm missing as I recently found the Polygram Waiting for the Sun in a record store.

JonW likes this.
  17. JonW

Yes, you're right, I think it must be the 1988 remaster. The copyright date on the back is 1985 which might be why discogs have dated it in that year: discogs isn't very reliable for dates in my experience. It's probably the album by The Doors that I am least familiar with.

18. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

When I was over in north Cornwall (Where I've got family) in the summer of 2019 I picked up a few of these:
    - Elton John: Candle In The Wind '97 CD Single, Songs For The West Coast.
    - Monkees: Best Of The Monkees
    - Texas: Greatest Hits

I think that's all but there could have been more

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  19. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

Thanks. I like what I've heard so far of the CD I picked up, and will look at getting a better copy online, also investigate further his catalogue. Sometimes random picks can come up trumps.

Yes, it's good. I do feel some of the songs would have benefitted from being extended a bit, but maybe the album is of its time. Definitely worth 50p for a listen.

There must have been ten to a dozen CDs of Hebrew music at the Leeds Hospitals shop, mostly religious, which was a bit different for a charity shop.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    MC Rag and Dave Gilmour's Cat like this.
  20. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Having missed last week's boot sale due to the rain I took a risk this week, it did eventually start raining and the weather meant there weren't many sellers, but £10.50 total got me these, CDs were 20p each, LPs 50p except the Frontline comp which was £1 and "Bad" which was £2. I'm particularly pleased with the original British Vogue issue of the Hampton Hawes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

MJQ sapcor Apple £1.00 mint.

mradmack, Mylene, BeSteVenn and 2 others like this.
  22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Waiting for a thrift store to open ( first in the queue) see this big guy carrying suitcase to hold stuff in.... Him .. “ this shop any good”. :)

23. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Enya has a decent number of albums, most of which can be found in charity shops with little effort. Her first album was reissued as The Celts.

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  24. louderthan1

louderthan1 Forum Resident

A couple of days ago in my local Scope, I picked up the first 2 White Stripes albums on CD for £1 each. The last 2 I needed to complete my collection.

25. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Windows 98 and NT4, late 90's, early 2000 at latest. Obviously not earlier than mid 98 when W98 was launched. Win 2000 replaced NT4 in Feb 2000.

Dubmart likes this.