Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Forum Resident

Who are you to say that?

minibreakfast likes this.
  2. serendipitydawg

serendipitydawg Dag nabit!

UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting.

Not SPAIN

Man at C&A likes this.
  3. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

I've no objection to non-UK people visiting the thread. But the forum has a "no thread-crapping" rule for a reason.

Hammerhead and BeSteVenn like this.
  4. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

OP Here! Basically we chat about all Charity Shop, Boot Fair & 'Free on your neighbour's wall' finds on this thread whether they be valuable or not.

Remember one person's garbage is another man's treasure!

If you have such shops in Spain we would be happy to hear about your finds.

5. AveryKG

AveryKG a keen gardener no more

As these things do, I think the discussion has also evolved to include pretty much all sources of cheap music. Acquisitions from Poundland and MusicMagpie have been declared here, and I don't think anyone objects, despite those organisations' notable lack of charitable status.

6. Mist3rCe

Mist3rCe Well-Known Member

Understood! I don't pretend to be a troll. Apologies if anyone has been offended. And thanks @alexloti

These days, at least here, is difficult to find bargains. The only 'valuable' item I recently found in a trash shop is this, 6€.

The Beatles - Revolver (CD, Europe, 0) For Sale | Discogs

7. MC Rag

Just to explain UK Charity Shops a bit more, you can find them in most towns in the United Kingdom. My town has a population of about 15,000 people and there are 8 charity shops all within about 5 minutes walking distance.

Charity shops sell used clothes, household items, kitchenware, books, CDs, LPs, DVDs which have been donated. They are usually staffed by volunteers, and money raised goes to the charity - maybe for brain cancer, or deprived children, or heart disease research, or animal welfare, etc.

8. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV Forum Resident

I bought a Sir Winston and The Commons EP on TodoColeccion for a very good price.

*TodoColeccion is a Spanish version of eBay. Don't remember how I found it, but I've made a couple of purchases there.

MC Rag likes this.
  9. Mist3rCe

As far as I know, this does not exist here, at least not on a large scale. I was wrong thinking this was just a normal second hand store! Now it is clear. Thank you

10. Mist3rCe

Yes, but I never found something interesting to buy there, sometimes it's a matter of luck.

MC Rag likes this.
  11. AlmostHeavenWV

3 for £1 in a Garstang shop this morning, could only find 2.

Ray Charles - The Collection (early stuff, quite bluesy, nice)
    Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue

12. JonW

JonW That's just the name of the shop, love!

"The joy is in simply not having a clue what you will find inside." That's it in a nutshell!

Great Face For Radio and MC Rag like this.
  13. MC Rag

Exactly, I think most of us are old music addicts who happily paid full price for CDs back in the 90s and now we still can't quite believe what can be found for tuppence!

Except for young Billy that is, you never had it so good! :)

14. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

Personally, I'd love to find those Lizzy & Jam CDs here in the US!

15. AveryKG

AveryKG a keen gardener no more

I'm an old music addict who steadfastly refused to pay full price for CDs back in the 90s. Not that I had any disposable income in the 90s (poorly paid job, new mortgage, child to clothe and feed), but I like to think that even if I'd won the lottery I would have still declined to shell out £15.99 0r whatever it was for a CD.

Man at C&A, MC Rag and Joseph.McClure like this.
  16. AlmostHeavenWV

17. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

don't be like that man

Django, mark e and AlmostHeavenWV like this.
  18. stepeanut

stepeanut Holmes Boy

We both had our second jab today, then went on a long walk that took in a few charity shops as well as the grounds of the local stately home.

I picked up these two factory-sealed country CDs for 75p each. The Reader’s Digest one is three discs, so excellent value for money:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Man at C&A

No worries :righton:

20. Man at C&A

Curve - Clipped EP on 12" for £1

I had this back in 1991 when it came out and know I loved it. I can't remember anything thing at all about what it went like. I haven't played it yet.

21. biilyedwards

biilyedwards Todd Browning's freak

You sound just like my mum! :laugh:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021 at 1:38 PM
  22. mark e

mark e Forum Resident

ooh, Curve.
    that's a cracking ep.
    whenever i come across anything by them on cd in a charity i feel like jumping and hollering with joy.
    such a brilliantly visceral sound.

MC Rag and Man at C&A like this.
  23. mark e

mark e Forum Resident

this to the power of many tens.

hence when i set up ireallylovemusic over 20 years ago i wrote a little 'mission statement' about why i had set the site up, (was a thing back then), that said the following :

"
    over the years i have scoured the second hand racks and built up a substantial collection of odds and sods. amongst the collection is a variety of styles the likes of which amazes even me. i refuse to pay the extortionate prices that the high street insist on charging and whole-heartedly recommend the little hidden away back street shops. personally i would prefer to spend £15 on 6-7 cd's of all sorts of stuff as opposed to the latest major-label hype. amongst the collection i have recently come to realise that many of the releases are absolute classic albums which don’t deserve to get forgotten.
    "

and i think its fair to say given my posts in this thread, very little has changed for me in such regards.

BeSteVenn and AveryKG like this.
  24. Man at C&A

I remember and loved Coast Is Clear, Fait Accompli and Missing Link. I also remember being disappointed in the album though it probably sounds great now! Looking forward to playing this because it will come back to me almost immediately.

mark e likes this.
  25. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

Today's foraging.

[​IMG]

Already had the Herbie Hancock one on (50p), and it's excellent.