UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

The BHF shop on Bold Street had a 3 for £1 offer on earlier this year - I picked up some good stuff, including a Diament Zep 3. But city centre charity shops must get more rapid turnaround on stock than those in more remote areas, so it really is a case of being in the right place at the right time.

2. Ste_S

Ste_S Forum Resident

Don't! There's someone who lives about a mile away from me who has a framed poster of Unity on their wall. They're probably judging me as well.

Siegmund likes this.
  3. andy obrien

andy obrien Forum Resident

Oh no, this means every chancer will be at the car boot I go to this morning hoping to stumble across a similar box. I've got news for them: these kind of records were easy to find at car boots... 15-20 years ago. And they will have to endure flicking through the tat like me for a week. That will put them off!

4. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I think that was the one where I found the The Very Best Of Elton John fatboy CD.... British Heart Foundation? The CDs are located right in the center of the store and the store is on the same side of the street as the Dig It record shop. We were in Liverpool to visit the Beatle homes.

The prices at the Dig It store are sort of high they wanted 400 pounds for an original pressing of the stereo White Album...no way lol. We did get some T-shirts.

We ate at the Jolibee twice since my wife is from the Philippines.

5. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Yes, that's the one. There aren't that many charity shops in Liverpool city centre and they're spaced fairly widely apart. The BHF (not far from the station) is the most central.

fmfxray373 likes this.
  6. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Dig Vinyl is a decent store, IMHO - it's probably the one place I get most of my finds, when I'm record shopping in L'pool. That said, I'm not surprised at the Beatles prices - given where you are, there's always gonna be a premium on Beatles product, as the shops see a lucrative tourist market to be tapped-into.

fmfxray373 likes this.
  7. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

The local Barnardo's still has its 'buy one, get one free' offer on CDs, but it's now re-branded 'buy two, get the cheapest free.' I couldn't find anything though. 7" singles are nearly all 50p each, and I managed to find two priced at £1 - Mike Nesmith - Rio, and The Sweet - Teenage Rampage.

Here's a couple of snaps showing most of the music for sale there. Since last Sunday the number of 7" singles has been reduced by about a third to make room for more CDs, and I can see there being a big clear-out of CDs in a few weeks' time to make room for fresh stock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I spy a vinyl copy of Judy Collins' Bread & Roses, a great and highly underrated album.

9. AlmostHeavenWV

There's also a CD compilation of hers.

10. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

A handful of CDs from the car boots today, mostly 50p each. Very pleased with the Nina and Hollywood Rose. I already own the Watersons one on LP, but I wasn't going to leave it behind. It's a wonderful album, best played in the depths of winter. The Liza Minnelli has a great cover of Bill Withers' 'Use Me' on it.

[​IMG]

Hammerhead, Mylene, MC Rag and 12 others like this.
  11. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Managed to have a few minutes in a Barnado's that I'd never been to before, on the way to somewhere else, but despite a "5 for £1" offer running for CDs and DVDs, I didn't see anything worth picking up (there was a badly scratched De La Soul CD single from 1991 that might have been fun to check out).

EG.

12. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I passed up the chance to own John Lodge's Natural Avenue on CD earlier this week. Listening to it now on Spotify, I think I 'chose right.'

13. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

One thing I noticed is that your charity shops are well organized (genre labeling for music) and clean. Many in America are just a big mess. They don't organize by type of music and often times everything in an aisle is a cluttered mess. I'll take some pictures lol...
    Am I correct in thinking some workers at charity shops are unpaid volunteers?

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  14. AlmostHeavenWV

To the best of my knowledge, the managers of chain charity shops (Oxfam, British Heart Foundation, AgeUK, etc.) are paid, all other staff in those shops are volunteers. Smaller charity shops, such as Cats Protection, I don't know if their managers are paid - maybe part-time?

The bigger charity shops may be better organised, and have enough staff to keep things sorted out. Also helps if someone working in a shop is interested in music.

Plenty of charity shops in the UK are a complete mess when it comes to records and CDs.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  15. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

Got Earth Opera double cd for fifty pence.

16. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Wow! I can remember paying eight quid for that (new).

Tbh, didn’t find either album all that memorable but at that price, who would complain? It’s long out of print in any format.

phillyal1 likes this.
  17. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Most of them are well-organised, though you will find the occasional one where no-one is available and/or bothered to file books or CDs in alphabetical or genre order. Actually, now I think on, CDs are rarely filed in any kind of order, but books usually are.

fmfxray373 and newelectricmuse like this.
  18. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Charity shops (or Thrift Stores) as we call them can be all over the map. You have to wade through all kinds of weird stuff to find something worth listening to. My favorite sources are "swap meets" like bargain bazaars. With those, you just have individuals trying to unload their unwanted stuff. I have found my best deals there and many times nothing over a dollar or even 2 for a dollar. Good stuff too!

19. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

Yes, I think car boot sales are the nearest thing we have to swap meets in the UK.

MC Rag likes this.
  20. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

I have now moved to a new home only a few bus stops from Lewisham/Catford, good charity shop hunting grounds that were up to an hour journey from where I used to live.

Which is great. Downside is there are no charity shops really within walking distance, whereas before I had over a dozen.

Ah well. Reading here about the journeys some American members here take, I should be grateful. Here is yesterday's haul from the local shops:

[​IMG]

Lots of jazz and classical. The Tony Bennett CDs are terrific. I saw him do an in store performance at HMV for the Billy Holiday album in 1997. The Phil Collins is the three CD version. The Johnny Cash is the Legacy Edition with two CDs and a DVD, it was five pounds. The rest were a pound or three for a pound, regardless of the stickered price.

I could see it was someone's carefully selected classical collection. All the ones I got are well-reviewed, and the ones I left because I have them already were similarly prized by reviewers.

21. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Excellent haul. The Klemperer CD is certainly very rare.

rikki nadir likes this.
  22. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

Actually, I forgot I bought a copy of the same CD in the same area in February of this year - I even posted a photo of it in this thread! - post 11031.

So fifty pence wasted! ;)

It would seem someone with several copies lives or lived nearby.

23. AlmostHeavenWV

Think of it as a 50p donation to a charity shop. Your good deed for that day.

24. Balcanquhal

Balcanquhal Forum Resident

Poor pickings, so, I went to a recorod shop.

They had a copy of What the Dickens! by the John Dankworth Orchestra on CD. (It is paired with a lower-tier Dankworth title). which is exciting. I didn't know it had been put out on CD.

Great sound from this CD to compliment my rather atrocious LP copy. £7.50 but I shan't complain as it isn't an easy CD to get hold of.

rikki nadir likes this.
  25. Balcanquhal

Balcanquhal Forum Resident

Frost and Fire

A true masterpiece indeed!

Poignant too as Norma Waterson died in January:
    Norma Waterson obituary

It is the finest tribute possible to the magnificence and genius of the Watersons! A true classic from start to end. The brilliant recording by Bill Leader was ahead of almost every other independent label at the time.