UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Ah yes, thanks. Surprising how often that happens. Enough to make me think that I should check that's what's inside is "what it says on the tin" as they say, but I usually forget to do so.

2. saw119

saw119 Forum Resident

I had that disappointment a few weeks ago when I found a copy of Orbital 2, I was very excited. I opened the case on my way to the till only to find it contained a cd by Michael Kiwanuka. :D No offence but that wasn't what I wanted.

3. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Two finds today at £1 each.
    Orff - 'Carmina Burana' - Berlin Philharmonic, Hampson, Gruberova, Ozawa. Original 1989 Philips 422 363-2 CD
    and...
    Saint-Saëns - 'Carnival of the Animals / Ravel - 'Ma Mère Moy' - André Previn, Pittsburgh Symphony Orch. Original Blue Face Philips 400 016-2 CD

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's annoying but Diversions does have some of Orbital's very best tracks so soundwise you're up.

Eric_Generic, Rossman and saw119 like this.
  5. saw119

saw119 Forum Resident

The funny thing is that the In Sides disc must be out there somewhere. Probably in the Diversions case. :D

Eric_Generic, Rossman and MC Rag like this.
  6. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

Finding a Philips blue face is always a good day!

Dave S, Rossman and lwh1 like this.
  7. Great Face For Radio

Great Face For Radio Sing Hosanna, the jazz snobs are all going home.

No CDs this week but I did pick up this fantastic good as new T-shirt from my local North London Hospice for £4.50:
    [​IMG]

8. Flannel

Flannel Forum Resident

Is it disc 2 of a 2CD? I have a 2CD version of In Sides. I'd have to find it to be sure, but iirc the second disc is Diversions.

'90s techno is one of the things I've been enjoying a lot lately. Even some Trance, which I wasn't into back then. Is there a lot of it where you are? Cheap?

MC Rag likes this.
  9. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

Nice one! When I remember (after looking at the music) I have a look for band t-shirts, but without much success (so far). That's a great find!

Great Face For Radio likes this.
  10. Great Face For Radio

Great Face For Radio Sing Hosanna, the jazz snobs are all going home.

I also once got a really nice Dr Feelgood T-shirt plus a Keith Richards sweat shirt and a couple of good non-music ones. A Trump piss-take which says "Make Orwell Fiction Again" and another with "Have You Tried Turning It On And Off Again" which is a standing joke for us broadcasting types.

11. Flannel

Flannel Forum Resident

Passed on The Fantastic Plastic Machine eponymous. I heard this when it was new, but can't remember how much I liked it. Also a Styrenese single, but it was a Christmas thing from the '90s.

Safety Scissors vs. Kit Clayton - The Ping Pong EP | Releases | Discogs exciting to find a Kit Clayton release for fifty cents, but this isn't great.
    Orlando Julius. O.J. Ekemode - All Over the World We Pray for Peace. This doesn't seem to be on discogs
    Do Make Say Think - & Yet & Yet | Releases | Discogs
    The Dillards - Roots and Branches/Tribute to the American Duck. Might be a bootleg, I haven't checked.
    Chrystal Belle Scrodd – Beastings (1993, CD) - Discogs some kind of Nurse With Wound involvement.
    Tonal Y Nagual – The Unseen Deserts (2007, CD) - Discogs
    The Tower Recordings - Folk Scene | Releases | Discogs

whoa, one of the songs on the Julius/Ekemode CD is pretty corny! So far the rest are good.

12. Flannel

Flannel Forum Resident

Oh, a different thread reminded me of an Elvis Gospel CD that I passed on. I'm sure it's at least good, and probably better than at least two of the CDs that I did get.

And there were a pair of '50s Hits CDs with great songs. One had Sanford Clark - The Fool

13. saw119

saw119 Forum Resident

No it's definitely only a single disc. It's the reissue case from '97 with the Saint single tacked onto the end. However, as I say, it's got the Diversions disc in the case. As for the dance music I've picked up some more Orbital, Leftfield and Chemical Brothers so far. They were always music I enjoyed at the time but never bought. They're usually about a pound each. I've also been picking up any trip hop/downtempo stuff.

14. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I have found that Orbital cd here in the States. Is the power plant on the cover of the cd beneath it Fiddler's Ferry Power Station?
    That was the one I saw last month on the Avanti West train from Liverpool to London near the Mersey Gate Bridge.

That place looks scary...it looks like the nuclear power plants we have here but I know it is not a nuclear plant.

15. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Nice haul from two shops. All 50p except for Miles (£1). Pleased with Leave Home (Ramones) and the New Basement Tapes thing. No idea what John Scofield sounds like. Was wary of Alanis Morissette until Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon sang along and discussed her in The Trip to Italy.

16. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Jagged Little Pill's an ace album, if you filter out all the other stuff. It was overplayed and overhyped.

EG.

17. saw119

saw119 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    An embarrassment of riches and all from my locals that my earlier purchases came from. It's a little bit addictive this charity shopping for CDs.

18. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Is it her best album?

19. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Of the 4 or 5 I know, I would say so. Not a dud track among the 12. About 6 or 7 of them were singles.

Like everyone, I got sick of it by the end of 1996 but listening these days, I can hear why I found it so refreshing.

EG.

20. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I love that Primal Scream comp. Has all the 7" versions, plus a great cover of Some Velvet Morning.

EG.

21. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

Found a few bits n bobs this morning. The Billy DVDs are both still sealed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These three were bought earlier in the week, the Leopard Lounge one being a double:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Thanks. I’m looking forward to playing it.

23. saw119

saw119 Forum Resident

I'm not a vinyl collector but my local hospice shop, St Luke's, had a copy of Green on Red's debut Gas Food Lodging for £8.

Flannel and Putrifiers II like this.
  24. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

I'd planned on going to Southport this morning, then I changed to going to Blackburn. Eventually I gave up and have stayed in all day, because, apart from half an hour in mid-morning, it's been raining non-stop since at least 6 a.m. Still coming down steadily twelve hours later, and the forecast is for it to continue until late tomorrow morning. No charity shops for me this weekend.

25. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

It's a very long time since I heard that album!

saw119 likes this.