UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

It was hidden among all the 'Hearsay/Will Young and Dido albums and more dross. And it is practically mint, I doubt it was ever played.

MC Rag likes this.
  2. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

UK Charity shops as mentioned sell second hand, donated items to raise money for charity. Typical items you will find in all charity shops include clothes, books, DVDs, CDs, glassware, tableware, jewelry, sports equipment, etc. The town where I live has around 13,000 people and 7 charity shops.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  3. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Going thru a Britpop nostalgia phase. Managed these last weekend at a car boot sale:

Seahorses - Do it Yourself
    Pulp - This is Hardcore (got this on release, gave it to a mate cos I hated it for not being Different Class. Much better than I remembered)
    Paul Weller - Heavy Soul
    Manics - Everything Must Go
    Geneva - Further (criminally underrated indie band, singer had an amazing voice)

Total spend £1.50. Bargain!

4. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

Poundworld is a great place to pick up brit pop albums. A quid each. All the top bands can be found easy enough in among the Didos and Kylies

5. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

got a nice haul today from Oxfam Plymouth - fill a bag for £2.99....so I did!

all cd

Doves - Lost Souls
    Norah Jones - Come Away with Me
    Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
    Kanye West - Late Registration/The College Dropout
    White Stripes - Icky Thump
    Compay Segundo - Yo Vengo Aqui
    Warren G - Regulate...G Funk Era
    Otis Redding - The Definitive Collection
    Bob Dylan - Modern Times/Blood on the Tracks

6. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

Nice finds in charity shop in Egham, Surrey, this sunny afternoon - The Eagles Complete Greatest Hits double album with booklet, The Essential Neil Diamond double album, Billy Joel's River Of Dreams, Looking Back The Best Of Daryl Hall + John Oates and Linda Ronstadt The Platinum Collection, all in top condition and just ten crisp English pounds for the lot.

7. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

Tommy - The Who
    UFO - Orb
    Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous
    ELP - Essential

CDs 50p each
    Not my usual kinda stuff but at 50p...

garrincha, Dave S and Man at C&A like this.
  8. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

not sure whether this is shop specific, but my local Oxfam annoyingly put tape across the CD opening, so you're unable to check if their scratched to hell or not. not a big problem, as they're dirt cheap and it's for charidee, maaaaaaaan - but annoying nevertheless.

also a ballache when you get them home - as the tape takes quite a bit of scraping off.

this has been the case in my local for a couple of years now. sure, I understand they don't want to take a chance that someone will nick the discs, but there's got to be a better way!

I did approach the manager about this - twice - and suggested maybe using a masking/decorating tape, as that doesn't leave a sticky residue, but she was having none of it. she seemed pretty pissed that I even dared to ask such a question. real uppity woman, I can tell ya!

anyway, the search continues....

Man at C&A likes this.
  9. G00dVibrations

G00dVibrations Forum Resident

The Sam Beare Bookshop by any chance?

10. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

I always pull the tape open and check the CD; good thing too as many have been scratched, despite claims that they are all "checked". If it's a normal jewel case you can just open it from the hinge side.

Man at C&A likes this.
  11. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

The residue comes off easy with furniture polish. :)

Jonpd likes this.
  12. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I often open the CD case to see where and when the CD was manufactured. The condition comes a close second.

13. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Applying some sellotape and pulling it off straight will usually remove the residue. There are also problems with price stickers. The old That's Entertainment store had some nasty ones that were almost impossible to remove.

14. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

99% Isopropyl Alcohol will clear off any sticky stuff. You can even use it (very sparingly, via cotton swab) on digipacks or inlay cards, though it can remove ink.

I hadn’t thought of popping the hinges before. I tend to just neatly slit the tape with my keychain Swiss Army knife. :whistle:

15. Harry Hotspur

Spot on Good Vibrations! Correct charity shop. Either you work there or you are a fellow customer who knows the gems this place can throw up.

16. G00dVibrations

I don't get into Egham much anymore, but over the past few years its become the case that that shop will always have more good quality and interesting books and CDs then the other 6 charity shops combined.

17. Harry Hotspur

You are right Good Vibrations but now the cat is out of the bag those gems are going to be snapped up by other folk. I always like shopping for records in Egham because it brings back memories of the late great Record Wise where I bought most of my LPs back in the day. It's where I first heard and bought Bridge Over Troubled Water for example. Ah, memories. US visitors could combine a visit with a trip to the spot where the Magna Carta was signed a few minutes away. On second thoughts, don't visit. There'll be nothing left for Good Vibrations and me.

18. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Random thought while browsing the racks of my local hospice shop - was there ever a more appropriate album title than “Westlife - Where We Belong”?

19. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

Had a skim round Kings Heath, Birmingham, this morning...It has a High St with at least a dozen chazzers....It's a pretty good area, with some serious money around the local locality (some massive houses in local Moseley/Edgbaston) some student population, as it's near to University, and there's a distinct local Bohemia...lots of gigs/happenings advertised, artisan food shops, and a very arty locality..It seems to have everything;

On the face of it, it should have rich pickings... But is there anything there? Is there heck?..It's a complete absolute desert for pickings. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I think there's some places that have just been picked over, and you just know it..You can walk into a shop in Kings Heath and there's 250 CDs and not one single interesting title...

Need to stick to some out-of-the way places in future, rater than the 'obvious' areas.

20. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

I wonder if it's a kind of vicious circle - the shops have shelves full of stuff they've had for years, so think CDs don't sell any more, so stop taking them?

21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That happened with vinyl a lot. British Heart Foundation were the worst for it.

Phil Tate likes this.
  22. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I know a shop where they look annoyed when you ask if you can inspect a cd, because they are "checked". This usually means they're play-tested but can be full of scratches anyway...

23. G00dVibrations

I seriously doubt they are all play-tested. In my experience they are more "volunteer takes a quick look and its doesn't look like anyone has played frisbee with it".

24. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Hmm, Egham, eh? Just a tube ride to Richmond and jump on the train there. And with my old fogey pass I'd only have to pay from Zone 6. Should be a cheap day out. What are the pubs like? ;)

LivingForever likes this.
  25. Harry Hotspur

There's a pub in Egham High Street called the Crown that in sunny weather always seems to have blokes sitting outside who give off the 'geezer' vibe of ex-cons and/or former police officers. They most likely used to work in planning, but in my imagination they are reminiscing about the Staines post office blag or the Virginia Water savings bank caper.