UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm after that Sony CD, but I've never even seen one.

Dubmart likes this.
  2. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

So weird. That's someone with a decent music knowledge, who's taken the time to build a fine collection.

3. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

That's an esoteric collection, to say the least! It even includes William Shatner's astonishing "The Transformed Man" and the very odd "Soothing Sounds for Baby", (both of which I have). Strange that someone would just give it away for free, rather than donate it to a charity shop. It's obviously the collection of a real music fan with eclectic tastes rather than a casual listener.

4. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

Fantastic! I think I'm most jealous of the Hanna Barbera one. I'd be auntie of the year if I found that for my 9yo nephew - HB is his new subject of interest, including the frankly terrifying Banana Splits.

5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

They've switched to streaming, they had a lot more CDs, it was a very eclectic and good collection, I got most of what I wanted and others got the rest, according to my brother local charity shops are crying out for CDs, I don't know what they've done, but this is the second collection in a month where the person would rather give it away than donate it, possibly something I'm not seeing, but I'm very happy with what I'm picking up.

6. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

That was my favourite disc in there, possibly not the best or rarest, but definitely the most fun and my mind was flooded with all the theme tunes, it took me back to being 9, slightly disappointed it's missing "Wait To Your Father Gets Home" though.

7. minibreakfast

I've a CD of Hanna Barbera sound fx, which I put to peurile use here:

BeSteVenn, Albiegator and Dubmart like this.
  8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I did find myself laughing at that.

minibreakfast likes this.
  9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The charity I'm in isn't getting a lot of CDs donated, mostly just a trickle of the usual fodder. DVDs are coming in at an incredible rate though.

Miles1968 and minibreakfast like this.
  10. minibreakfast

Then my work here is done!

Eric_Generic and Dubmart like this.
  11. Albiegator

Albiegator Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    This weekend
    [​IMG]

12. minibreakfast

Pearl Jam's Ten is an incredible album.

13. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

My brother told me none of the shops were getting many CDs when I saw him yesterday to collect the vinyl, I was surprised because my local record shop that still sells CDs seems to be getting plenty in, perhaps some charities have gone too far and actually discouraged CD donations, as I said that Jazz collection a couple of weeks ago would have gone to the tip if I hadn't gone and collected it for my friend and that was a fantastic collection, not sure, but even today's may have ended up binned.

14. Albiegator

Sorry, a bit previous clicking on 'post reply. This weekend's CDs

Love Over Gold Dire Staits '96 remaster
    Five Miles Out - Mike Oldfield early repress
    Ten - Pearl Jam 90's reissue with bonus tracks
    The Score - Fugees US 90s repress
    Warehouse: Songs and Stories - Husker Du early 90s reissue

15. Albiegator

I had no time for Pearl Jam in the 90's and it's taken me a while to realise how wrong headed that was. Never owned a copy of Ten though, so happy to pick this up for £1.

johnnywas and minibreakfast like this.
  16. mark e

mark e Forum Resident

"we" !?!?!

i would love to find a pigbag cd in a charity shop.

17. mark e

mark e Forum Resident

good grief.
    i can see several cds there that i KNOW are wanted by folks who follow a certain record label.
    thats an insane collection to give away.

newelectricmuse and The Sprawl like this.
  18. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I've been involved in putting music out for more than twenty-five years, we did this one nearly ten years ago now, which is scary, we even put on a launch gig, I remember being there and at times getting transported back to the early eighties, though I wouldn't claim this is their best release by any means.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Fawltykog

Fawltykog "Nothing Is Real"

I'll take the lot, ta. :)

20. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

On-U Sound? I've been collecting them for forty years, someone else on here, perhaps on the Crucial Reggae thread has some really nice bits.

21. Flannel

Flannel Forum Resident

I just listened to Getting Up via an embedded video on discogs. I liked it. Thanks, I wasn't aware of them before today.

Dubmart likes this.
  22. Rossman

Rossman Forum Resident

I bought the banned Gary Clail 12” with the sample of Maggie Thatcher through the pages of Record Collector. Even though I paid for it to be insured the seller just pocketed the extra and sent it standard post. Naturally when it arrived it was damaged, a semi circular piece about an inch into the vinyl had cracked off (I’ve only ever seen this phenomenon twice in a lifetime of buying vinyl). Gutted and angry didn’t begin to describe my feelings and the seller didn’t even have the decency to give a full refund.

Edit: in my memory the banned sample was from Maggie but looking on the On-U Sound in the area website it mentions a Billy Graham sample.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  23. Rossman

Rossman Forum Resident

On a brighter note, my good streak this weekend continues. £4.20 for this lot. The Dan Penn was the most expensive at £1.50.

[​IMG]

24. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

We actually put a Gary Clail record out.:laugh: I wouldn't claim it's his best release though, but Gary's good to talk to for On-U/Sherwood stories.

[​IMG]

Ste_S, MC Rag, mark e and 3 others like this.
  25. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Well worth £1.50 though.

minibreakfast and Rossman like this.