UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. johnnywas

johnnywas "London Calling to the faraway towns."

:)
    All the time.[/QUOTE]
    It's really difficult to leave a Floyd, Zeppelin, Dylan, (insert your fave classic artist etc.) cd when they're only going for 20p:)

2. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

It's really difficult to leave a Floyd, Zeppelin, Dylan, (insert your fave classic artist etc.) cd when they're only going for 20p:)[/QUOTE]

But conversely there are usually a shed load of albums that the shop would have to pay me a fair amount to take away.

3. saw119

saw119 Forum Resident

Wow! That is a haul and a half. I'd love that LFO and those Warp comps. Pretty incredible finds.

Flannel and englishbob like this.
  4. biilyedwards

biilyedwards Todd Browning's freak

Badlands - Badlands
    Badlands - Voodoo Highway
    Thought these were interesting, but a tad expensive. Checked Discogs to see whether £3.50 was a good price. Turns out the median selling price was £73 and £60! So I grabbed them.

[​IMG]

And here's the other CDs I bought, most three for a pound.

[​IMG]

And finally some 50p vinyl.

[​IMG]

5. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Nice bit of synchronicity there, with a Bobby Womack comp and the Gorillaz CD that he so memorably featured on.

EG.

6. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

You'll be paying off that tuition fee in no time!

7. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Lol - just read the notes on the back of the "Electronic" CD - Remastered in November 1993 - that's about 2 years after it was originally released - madness o_O The emperors new clothes in a 2 year period.

The music business

8. Flannel

Flannel Forum Resident

Great haul!
    Especially the Warp comps and LFO. I played 10+1 so many times.

MC Rag and Reamonnt like this.
  9. Reamonnt

Reamonnt Mr.T

All the time.[/QUOTE]

Used to but now leave them for others to discover

10. Eiszeit

Eiszeit Forum Resident

I popped into a couple the other day, both only had small cd sections, one was the usual rubbish but the other had stuff that surprised me, stuff like Cradle Of Filth and Korn is what I recall, not what is usually seen. There was also a Kitaro CD I would have bought but when I opened it up for a look the disc was missing.

11. Ste_S

Ste_S Forum Resident

That'll be during the time Factory went bankrupt? 1991 version on Factory, 1993 version on Parlophone?

Lost In The Flood and Flannel like this.
  12. Flannel

Flannel Forum Resident

those are good songs, but the songs on RD are by bands that I don't really care to explore further so the OST is enough.

johnnywas likes this.
  13. Flannel

Flannel Forum Resident

Erh, maybe the George Baker Selection is worth looking into?

Anyone?

14. englishbob

Yeah but remastering it ? Unless Factory burnt all the previous versions in a throw-it-out-of-the-window screw you session

15. englishbob

Lars Medley likes this.
  16. Balcanquhal

Balcanquhal Forum Resident

I bet it sounds stunning on a boombox surrounded by beers at the beach in 35 degree heat.

englishbob likes this.
  17. mark e

mark e Forum Resident

been a pretty dry spell of late.

however, the last couple of weeks i have picked these up for £5

d-Bridge - Fabriclive 50
    Afrocelt Soundsystem - Volume 3 : Further In Time
    The Buddy Rich Band - Very Alive At Ronnie Scotts (2cd)
    Dope Dragon - Wayz Of The Dragon
    Black Grass - A Hundred Days in One
    Dido - Life For Rent
    Michael Franti/Spearhead - Everyone Deserves Music

most chuffed about : the d-Bridge Fabriclive mixtape.
    i expected the usual kind of d-n-b stuff, but no, this mix takes a very different path. all the tracks are exclusive, made to order, and are downtempo styled bass music.
    perfect sunday evening soundtrack. one of the best fabric mixes i have heard.
    also, 'dope dragon' : saw the cover and remembered seeing it years ago here and there.
    looked closely at the chaotic artwork, and saw the 'full cycle' logo.
    took a chance, and boom, turns out it's roni size and krust (and a couple of others) in alter ego mode.
    billed as a compilation, but it's basically them working in old school sci-fi d-n-b/jungle. loving it.

as for the rest - well, you can't go wrong with buddy rich, the michael franti/spearhead is a mellow summers day spin, and i have always wanted to hear some afrocelt soundsystem stuff due to their name, and yeah, the clues all there - a 'real world' release via some extra levels of production/electronica.

not too bad all in all.

18. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The vinyl version of "Wayz Of The Dragon" comes with a comic book illustrated by Nick Walker if you like that sort of thing, personally I don't really rate him. Dope Dragon was a sub-label of Full Cycle, though I'm not sure of the ins and outs of why it ended, can't believe I didn't ask at the time.

If only they'd got Banksy instead of Nick Walker.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
    mark e likes this.
  19. mark e

mark e Forum Resident

amazingly, the cd edition is cardboard (a la mo'wax cd editions), with a small comic inside.
    its all in perfect condition.
    so, yeah, was quite chuffed when i realised what i had picked up.

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  20. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I have a very vague memory that the vinyl was quite limited, probably not the CD though.

21. mark e

mark e Forum Resident

discogs seems to rather confirm that - but hey, i was still glad to pick it up for a coin ...

Dubmart likes this.
  22. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I had a spare unplayed copy of the vinyl for at least twenty years, I think I finally traded it in, but who knows, Nick Walker's art was fetching money at one time, I sold some prints for a friend, never helped "Wayz Of The Dragon" take off though, unfortunately.

mark e likes this.
  23. mark e

mark e Forum Resident

to be fair, i have never heard of nick walker before this.
    and the comic with the cd edition is so small, and the txt so scrappy, it's impossible to actually read it.

24. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Would probably have been better if printed in Japan.

25. saw119

saw119 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    It was a Miles Davis kinda day yesterday. Needless to say I'm very, very pleased with what I bought. The bottom cd was probably the find of the day though. It's the most recent Godspeed You! Black Emperor album for a mere £1.50.