UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Makes you wonder who buys that stuff because someone eventually will. I've never seen any Beatles music in a charity shop, did see an Exile on Main Street, early pressing but was £50 which I'm sure was way too much.

2. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Just bought Travis - Singles and an original Led Zeppelin Houses Of The Holy for 99p each from a local charity shop when out for lunch!

crispi likes this.
  3. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

Picked these two up at lunchtime, I've not come across this Jimi one, but for £0.99 I couldn't let it pass, the Rumer cd I'm looking forward to listening to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I went yesterday and unless the weather is really bad go all year round, yesterday it was raining all the way, but every weather forecast had said it would be dry so we went anyway and it stopped raining about five minutes after we got to the boot sale, the weather kept most of the competition away and I picked up about forty decent LPs, a Shure M75ED for £1 and a very nice Sony music centre which I will get a new belt for and offer to someone as a very nice alternative to a Crosley as a public service. In the thirty plus years I've been seriously buying records I've never had any finds in a charity shop, I've had Hi Fi and the odd other thing, but not one great record, even back in the eighties there were people creaming off anything good, they still are and what's left is usually trashed and over priced, local record shops are usually cheaper and grade properly.

My brother who doesn't collect records does get some nice CDs and DVDs from charity shops, but I can get great CDs for between 20p and £1 at boot sales so have no inclination to look in charity shops, likewise books are usually better and cheaper at boot sales.

5. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I found a copy of the Genesis P. Orridge book Painful but Fabulous for a couple of quid. Cheapest copies on Amazon: £250.

6. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Andrew J likes this.
  7. JQW

JQW Forum Resident

You do occasionally come across something out of the ordinary.

A few months ago I spotted a double-album in a sleeve that was plain white, other than for a couple of stickers bearing the title of the album. The record labels were printed, but neglected to credit any artist. There was also a printed insert with a list of performers. I suspected it was a promotional or test pressing of an obscure concept album.

However a brief dig on the history of the obscure record label that issued it revealed that virtually all of their albums came in blank sleeves. The label was tied to a small recording studio based in a seaside town that mainly produced albums or EPs of acts performing in summer season there. The album title was similar to the name of a private school in the area, and this was simply an LP of one of the school's annual revues.

Still, someone went and bought it, as it disappeared from the shelves after a few days.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  8. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Thank you!

9. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

I can confirm that this is true:
    Charity Shop Diary: 17/01/15: No Parlez (Barnardo's)

Gibson67 likes this.
  10. Saturday Oxfam Hertford picked up :-

Miles Davis - Birth Of The Cool (Dutch 1989 Capital CD)

The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead (Rough Trade CD)

Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene (Near Mint 1976 UK LP issue)

....none of these are particularly rare but I was pleased with my haul none the less.

Previously in this store I have got The Beatles Million Sellers EP and Please, Please Me (UK 60s Stereo LP) both in decent condition. Also Mark Lewisohn's The Complete Beatles Sessions Hardback book in near new condition for £10.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    domfjbrown and Dave S like this.
  11. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

I agree with a lot of the posters re: Oxfam and others' pricing'.
    Every charity shop epoch has its own book. Currently it's Fifty Shades of Grey, where previously it was Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code. Agree with other posters - vinyl hunting in charity shops is no fun anymore - ridiculous prices, a lot of the time for rubbish in bad condition.

12. Brummie

Brummie Forum Resident

My problem is that I am an avid book reader so I look for vinyl and come out with paper instead.Records and CDs have nothing on the room taken up by hard back books.

13. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I kinda like hunting for early CDs in charity shops because you can come across plenty of unusual items. 99p for this Japanese classical CD.
    [​IMG]
    Sure, it's not the black triangle, but pretty cool anyhow. I once came across a CD set of Chinese music. Didin't know much about it, but it may have been a gold CD. Pretty weird.

14. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I saw the latest hardback by Graham Norton for 99p last week. Bet he'd be thrilled to see that!

15. JQW

JQW Forum Resident

I popped into a couple charity shops this afternoon. The usual mish-mash of junk CDs on display - still sealed magazine cover-mounts, Ibiza dance music compilations, a Ministry of Sound compilation with a tatty slip-case, and many budget-label classical releases.

One shop also had a slew of budget label jazz issues, mostly 50-year rule out-of-copyright issues. They also had an odd looking Bill Evans CD with no recording date credit, and with brief notes in French - I presume this was a collection of live takes from the 1970s based on the track listing, but I could be wrong. I may go back and pick it up tomorrow.

16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I hope it went to somebody who genuinely wanted it.

17. Bobby Morrow

Yeah. Probably some greedy beggar who went and stuck it straight on eBay though. Like I would have done.:)

I was so shocked at seeing it I almost knocked over the pile of Beyoncé, Will Young and Robbie Williams CDs that were directly next to it!

18. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I suspect it went to someone who scanned the barcode. Thankfully, a lot of CDs I buy don't have barcodes.

Man at C&A likes this.
  19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

You must be collecting very early CDs. I think I only have one CD without a barcode, The Stranglers Collection 1977-82.

20. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Found an excellent copy of Ambrose Slade LP at a Car Boot sale many moons ago. Car Boots have downsized & you don't see them on every Pub Car Park on a Sunday like to you use to!

21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

For somebody who's supposed to be one of the great artists of today and gets a nauseating amount of reverence, a lot of people want to get rid of Beyonce's albums.

Erik B. likes this.
  22. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Wish I had luck like that! I'm still missing several RCAs including that one!

23. Bobby Morrow

Trust me, it's not a common occurrence. I should've bought it for 99p... If only to see if it sounds better than the SACD. Which it probably does.:)

JP Christian likes this.
  24. Bobby Morrow

All her albums seem to have about 80 songs on them. Perhaps it's too much of a 'good' thing?

Man at C&A likes this.
  25. stunner2020

stunner2020 Forum Resident

Never found anything good in a charity shop. Get the odd Harry Nilsson or something like that in Oxfam but have you seen their prices? I saw them charging £60 on their website for a copy of Queen's A Day At The Races, when I paid something like £7 for my VG+ copy a couple of years back.

The other charity shops only ever seem to have James Last or ethnic folk tunes.

I can also relate to the sheer lack of anything electronic. I did all the charity shops near me a few months back to see what popped up - the only one that had any electronics had a couple of stereos and a PlayStation 2.

It is, to further echo most other posters, fairly decent for CD's and DVD's though.