UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Before rain interrupted play at the boot sale I managed a couple of decent double soul comps and three Trojan CDs of Reggae Beatles covers in a slip case, 20p each, so seven CDs of music for 60p, record wise a mint Dizzy Gillespie 10", mint Edith Piaf 10" plus LPs by Laura Nyro, Marvin Gaye and The Fantastic Four, between £1-£2 each, tried a second sale which was mostly a washout, but did pick up an Akai reel to reel, just like this one, but a little dustier:

2. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I keep an eye out for still sealed CDrs. Not too many around now though. Old sealed covermount CDs are another source of new cases.

3. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Still sometimes see sealed cased CD-Rs/DVD-Rs at the boots, but not always at the right price, also occasionally see quantities of empty cases, usually Strand ones, but made from good proper plastic, my friend got me around 50 unused double cases a couple of months ago at a boot sale for £4, I have a nice stockpile of cases, will still buy them if I see them at the right price though.

Dave S likes this.
  4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

John Martyn - The Tumbler (UK mid 70s Island pressing of 1968 album)

John Coltrane - Africa Brass (late 60s World Record Club EMI UK pressing of 1961 album)

£2.00 each. Both in near perfect condition and fantastic sounding pressings. I've had some good vinyl in charity shops recently. It's been a long time...

5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Good work all round there! Hope the reel to real works and is a good one.:righton:

Dubmart likes this.
  6. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I've been trying to find an excellent copy of that issue of "Africa Brass" or the HMV issue for probably thirty years without success, looked at a couple of HMVs, but never found one in good enough condition, never even seen the WRC issue in a shop, in the unlikely event you don't intend to keep it please give me a shout.

Dave S and Man at C&A like this.
  7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'll dig out some reels, give it a thorough clean and see what I have, the heads look good which is a good start.

Man at C&A likes this.
  8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Will do, but I do like Coltrane and I'm enjoying the first play. The HMV originals look wonderful with the proper HMV 'Nipper' labels.

If I decide to sell you'll be the first to know. I'm not ruling it out, but not straight away. I like to give records a few listens before I do anything I'll regret!

Dubmart likes this.
  9. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

It's a really nice record, outside of "Love Supreme" probably my favourite Impulse Coltrane so you may well end up keeping it, though just in case you don't I'll be happy to give you a fair price or decent trade for it.:righton:

Man at C&A likes this.
  10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

See PM

11. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

another cracking haul, man. not sure 2 records can be classed as a haul, but I'm going with it

MrSka57, Man at C&A and Dubmart like this.
  12. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

These days I think two really good records counts as a haul, I'm really pleased if I manage one really good record, though I'd also be happy with lots of okay records.:laugh:

MrSka57, Man at C&A and garrincha like this.
  13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Yeah, I've been on form recently! It doesn't always happen, far from it. The Nick Drake LP I got blew me away. I tend to go to charity shops outside of town and also ask if they have more records in. One of the shops keeps the records back for me as I'm honest with them. I try to make fair offers while also getting a bargain, if that's not a contradiction!

But before about a fortnight ago I went months without getting much at all. Very little on vinyl.

D.B. and garrincha like this.
  14. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

I was sorting through some of my remaining records last week and found a mint HMV copy of 'Ballads', totally gobsmacked at its supposed value.

Man at C&A and Dubmart like this.
  15. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

By that I guess you mean the mono rather than the stereo, and "supposed" value is right, out of 7 copies on Discogs 6 have sold below £30, but obviously the value is now above the one copy that sold for £150, likewise on eBay, 2 have fetched over £100 and 28 copies below, mostly below £40, don't get me started on what people think records are worth now, Discogs is a monster that will eat itself and harm the vinyl market due to uncontrolled greed. If you find a mono "Africa Brass" I'm very interested though.:cool:

16. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Well I had to go and check, that's another one of my HMV gaps, I have several HMV Coltranes mono and stereo, but there are just so many to collect and I rarely come across them, I have also had my copy of "Kulu Se Mama" vanish without trace, only a US copy, but it is nowhere to be found and I have no explanation as to where it might be, a real mystery and currently a hole in my Coltrane collection even if it's not one of my favourites.

17. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Wow
    You are a lucky man

Man at C&A likes this.
  18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's persistence as much as anything, but luck has been on my side recently. Works been awful, so perhaps things balance each other out!

Listening to John Martyn now, I love the music Island were putting out in the late 60s and through the 70s. A truly great record label.

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Sounds like a fantastic collection. I've never seen an HMV Coltrane LP at all.

20. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Maybe I'll post a picture,:) not a Coltrane, but I did get a HMV UK issue of an Impulse Clark Terry at the boot sale two or three weeks ago, not an expensive record, but I was very happy to find it, can't remember the last time I found a Coltrane though.

Man at C&A likes this.
  21. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Had a look at the discogs entry and the really expensive one claimed NM vinyl + cover. Condition would presumably push up the price. The others varied from NM vinyl + damaged covers to cat toys.

22. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I get that feeling with some Abba CDs.

Dubmart likes this.
  23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Seems like you have a higher class of car boot sale than we do here! I used to love going to them. I've only been to one in the last few years about a month ago. On the good side I got a Charlie and Inez Foxx LP on Sue, the bad side is it was scratched to hell! I replaced it with a cheap copy from Discogs that had a better record in a tatty sleeve. The car boot copy has a nice cover.

24. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'm not saying a truly near mint one isn't worth a premium, but we both know that now £150 will be the start price for all copies, regardless of condition, that's how Discogs seems to work now and a genuine problem, eBay results are a more accurate reflection of "value".

Man at C&A likes this.
  25. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Bristol is rubbish, has been for more than 25 years, I travel into the countryside, but even there it's noticeably poorer than two or three years ago, having said that I've been talking to people and hopefully have some nice records in the pipeline, I'll definitely share what I get if they come through.