UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

Car boot was pretty good this morning. These were a fiver each. One still sealed.

[​IMG]

And these were £3 and £2.

[​IMG]

I also picked up a Hanna Barbera record for my nephew; hello Auntie of the Year award.

Hammerhead, Dave S, Mylene and 9 others like this.
  2. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Death Wish OST, nice find!

EG.

minibreakfast and rikki nadir like this.
  3. Great Face For Radio

Great Face For Radio Sing Hosanna, the jazz snobs are all going home.

She grew up in Windsor Road, Palmers Green which is about 400 yards from where I live. Unfortunately there's no blue plaque.

She was ubiquitous on Page 3 in the 1980s and her brother Mark was indeed a recording engineer; mainly reggae, I think.

minibreakfast likes this.
  4. minibreakfast

I have the soundtrack to the first film, on CD, by Herbie Hancock. I imagine this one will be quite different!

Eric_Generic likes this.
  5. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone near Oxford? Jazz collection being offered for free on Facebook:

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  6. Rossman

Rossman Forum Resident

I really do hope they go to a good home. I would hate to think that they just get picked up by someone who is going to flip them.

Although I wouldn’t be bothered by some of those I think at least 80% would be worth hearing.

7. johnnywas

johnnywas "London Calling to the faraway towns."

A nice pick-up. Not heard that Melody Gardot one, it's a great cover reminiscent of the 70's Roxy albums. The Cowboy Junkies is a bit special, a great ambience to it. They are currently in the news with a follow up album to The Trinity Session that wasn't released. it was also recorded with one microphone, this time in a temple.

Dave S, Dirty Bertie and Eric_Generic like this.
  8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Not being on Facebook, they won't even let me see what I'm missing, I'm guessing Big Band or Trad rather than Hard Bop.

9. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Going back a number of pages, about spotting a Technics CD player at my mum’s Oxfam:

Finally got a chance to check today, £29.99. No idea how that compares, but it has been there for a while now.

10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Not too bad, quite expensive for a charity I suppose but a good price for a Technics if it still works perfectly. I'd pay if it was here for a back up player.

Alexlotl likes this.
  11. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

The version of Autobahn is decent, the cover of Pretty Vacant is errrr........interesting.

minibreakfast likes this.
  12. Rossman

Rossman Forum Resident

Quite a few Miles Davis and ECMs, even a copy of Voodooism by Scratch.

I’m not on Facebook but for some reason I can see the pictures.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
    MC Rag likes this.
  13. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

300 discs. Quite a bit of Miles Davis, Coltrane, Jarrett, Monk, Mingus, Hancock + 1 Magma that I can see!

I just got covid today so I'm not going anywhere.

14. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Boot Fair CD's at a £5 each! What

The Sprawl likes this.
  15. minibreakfast

LPs.

AlmostHeavenWV and MC Rag like this.
  16. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

CDs :rant: But OK :)

I had that Bollywood one on my Amazon wishlist for years but never did get around to it

17. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Wow, I'd be all over that, if I was in Oxford, did Facebook and had a car, even if I already had most of it, plenty of family members would like those, I know people who hang around Marketplace and from what they tell me those would have been grabbed within five minutes.

I hope the Covid is mild, booked my next jab last week.

MC Rag and AlmostHeavenWV like this.
  18. minibreakfast

I have most of the tracks on R.D. Burman and Asha Bhosle CD compilations, but I wasn't going to leave it behind all the same!

englishbob likes this.
  19. Balcanquhal

Balcanquhal Forum Resident

I don't know the answer to that, but throughout lockdown 2020, every Tesco which I went in was playing the Co-Op's radio feed. It was exceedingly odd.

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  20. Dirty Bertie

Dirty Bertie Man with golden helmet, drinks water from a faucet

I just checked. Val Doonican, Harry Secombe and James Last are all adequately represented and preserved on streaming services. Begin the eradication!

Dubmart and observerstation like this.
  21. Dirty Bertie

Dirty Bertie Man with golden helmet, drinks water from a faucet

I started buying thrift shop records probably about 30-35 years ago. The same ones that no one bought then are still there now. These records failed to get picked up during the easy listening/exotica revival of the 90s and were left behind again during the Great Vinyl Revival of the past 10 years. Time they were put out of their misery. I just can't foresee a big revival of interest in Barry Crocker/Kamahl/Max Bygraves/Andre Kostelanetz, etc happening anytime soon.

22. Rossman

Rossman Forum Resident

There are several James Last LPs that I would buy if I could find them and they were cheap. I couldn't say the same for Val and Harry though. There is a James Last track (Bolero 75) on the excellent D-Funk compilation that I found some time ago.

23. minibreakfast

Well Kept Secret is one I'd like to find. Voodoo Party is very good.

Mylene and Rossman like this.
  24. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Yes, there are a few James Last tracks, and I think there's a Japanese LP that fetches money, but that's no reason to keep all the other James Last LPs out of landfill, there's possibly some in my bin, unless they went last week, with zero regret, I do have those mentioned by Minibreakfast, along with a couple of others, I'll let her know if I find more copies for pennies though postage is a killer these days.

Rossman and Man at C&A like this.
  25. minibreakfast

I'd much rather find one myself in the wild, so no problem! I agree that the vast majority of Last's enormous catalogue belongs in landfill. It's just unlistenable.

Dubmart and Rossman like this.