UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Dirty Bertie

Dirty Bertie Man with golden helmet, drinks water from a faucet

Have that Beat at Cinecitta comp (or maybe it's Vol 1 that I've got...) on gatefold LP. Very saucy gatefold picture spread! Great selection of tracks too.

Flannel and Dubmart like this.
  2. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

One of the very first CDs I bought - it was the first ONJ CD I'd seen. Was so disappointed with Soul Kiss, compared to Physical, that I only played it a couple of times.

3. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Slightly off topic, but while listening to my recently acquired Ultravox! CD posted a few pages back, I was reading up on John Foxx on Wikipedia. I read that when he quit music to become a full-time illustrator, he did a few of the Arden Shakespeare covers, amongst other projects.

I pick up Arden Shakespeares from charity shops and car boot sales whenever I find them (not often, it must be said), so I rifled my bookshelf, and bingo - cover illustration by Dennis Leigh. This was a £1 car boot buy from a few seasons back!

[​IMG]

4. biilyedwards

biilyedwards Todd Browning's freak

Their take on Bohemian Rhapsody is a worth a listen as the operatic section is a dead ringer for Russell Mael - imagine a great parallel universe where Sparks had done it.

minibreakfast likes this.
  5. Rossman

Rossman Forum Resident

I’ve managed to pick these up over the last couple of weeks.

I was really pleased to find Songs From The Wood, it means that I’m only really looking for Heavy Horses for my limited Tull collection now.

I enjoyed the Jeff Beck album more than I thought I would. I was expecting guitar pyrotechnics but it’s more bluesy and laid back than I had been led to believe.

I’ve struggled to find compilations that satisfy me for Rose Royce and Chic but this one covers both groups best tunes plus a few others nicely.

The place where I got the Bobby Thurston LP had around 40-50 metal albums, mainly NWOBHM. Not my cup of tea but the right buyer would have very happy. Bands like Raven, Anvil, Saxon etc

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

Couple of Friday afternoon picks. I already have the LP of Morris On, but.. well, you understand.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Great haul! I picked up that Traffic CD ultra-cheap a while back. It's still the best single disc comp of their work.

Putrifiers II and Rossman like this.
  8. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Queen collectors edition for £1.50? Mamma mia!

EG.

9. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

Magnifico-o-o-o-oh!

10. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

I love picking up books with a Dennis Leigh cover, having been a fan of Ultravox! since the first LP, as well as his solo efforts as John Foxx. I am still looking for this Salman Rushdie to turn up:

[​IMG]

11. Dirty Bertie

They are great covers. Had no idea about his talents in this regard.

rikki nadir likes this.
  12. Dirty Bertie

Saw a Rose Royce comp today but looked cheap and nasty. If you ever see either of these two Chic comps in the wild make sure to pick them up - both excellent. Bought them new probably about 15-20 years ago.

[​IMG]

13. Dirty Bertie

Finally got to visit a couple of oppies today - zilch, nada! Except for a cool Seinfeld t-shirt that my 21-year-old nephew will dig - which is a nice thing. Continuing the James Last thread: is Andre Rieu the new James Last of op shop CDs? Is Susan Boyle the Nana Mouskouri? And Robbie Williams the new Andy Williams?

14. Balcanquhal

Balcanquhal Forum Resident

I'd have bought that Bill Coleman 10". Great fun.

Rossman likes this.
  15. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I was already thinking Andre Rieu was the next James Last.

16. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

Can't put on Sky Arts without falling over him.

Putrifiers II likes this.
  17. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

Went to Longridge this morning - first stop was the YMCA shop. CDs were 2 for £1, LPs were £1.50. Got
    Alison Moyet - Alf LP. There was another copy of this, so I went for the earlier pressing (the one that had "also available on cassette" on the back cover).
    B.B. King - Blues On The Bayou CD
    Glam Slam - a K-tel comp CD Glam Slam (1989, CD) - Discogs
    George Ricci and The Improverts with Lol Coxhill CD. Wasn't going to pass on something featuring Lol Coxhill.
    Bryan Ferry - In Your Mind CD. Was going to pick up a Rounder Records' zydeco release to make up the number, but there was a different disc inside it, so settled for the Ferry CD.

So that should have been £3.50, but I was asked for £1. Gave 'em an extra £1.

At the North West Air Ambulance shop I got, for £1 each, a Nat Gonella and his Georgians comp (with a Sounds Good shop sticker - anyone know where that is or was?) and an Al Bowlly comp, with a hideous, cheap sketch of him on the front cover - unsurprisingly uncredited.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

These look great. Interesting that the first once isn't mastered by Bill Inglot, who did most of the Atlantic & Atco Remasters, while the second volume is (although no sign of Dan Hersch)

There's a later Rhino 2CD set, The Definitive Groove Collection, with a suspiciously similar track listing to those to comps mushed together, credited to Inglot, Hirsch & Schultz, but the DR figures, while very decent on average, are a bit all over the place.

Dirty Bertie and Eric_Generic like this.
  19. Balcanquhal

Balcanquhal Forum Resident

Martin Carthy & Dave Swarbrick / But Two Came By

Very pleased with this as it's not an easy CD to get hold of. It says copyright 1994 on the disc although the case is one of the smooth ones.

Otherwise very poor pickings, and there was a fellow who hogged the 'just in' CD section, not only was he intent on opening every CD he saw, taking the trays out to inspect the back insert, but he moved them to a free section in the rack for additional checking…

20. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Very nice find! I recently rounded out my set of the first five Carthy/Swarbrick albums on CD, and none are easy to get hold of. Fortunately I already had Second Album from back in the day, and lucked into a copy of the self-titled for £4 at the car boot sale, as those two seem to be the hardest to find. I think Prince Heathen was the last one I found.

Poor Murdered Woman is always the one from that disc that sticks in my mind. Somewhere between nihilistic and coldly matter of fact.

21. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

That album really threw me back in the day - 1977. The previous three solo albums had been grounded in cover versions (the third mixed in solo rearrangements of early Roxy songs). In Your Mind was all Ferry originals. And had added significance because no one knew if there was ever going to be any more Roxy Music records.

It took me a few years to appreciate it, your mileage may differ. Now I really like it, and feel two of the tunes - Love Me Madly and the title tune are among the best things he has ever done. Both are just pure representations of everything Ferry has brought to popular music.

Some great musicians - Phil Manzanera, Chris Spedding, John Wetton, John Porter, Paul Thompson, Ray Cooper, Mel Collins. Although as with later albums, there is no indication who is playing what and on which track.

Here's a tv performance of the second single Tokyo Joe with a fair complement of the above mentioned musicians:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
  22. Albiegator

Albiegator Forum Resident

I've had a couple of really barren weeks for CDs at charity shops. I haven't picked up anything at numerous stores around NW and SW London, so please indulge me while I go off topic with another badly taken picture of my Saturday afternoon LP purchases at my local library.

[​IMG]
    Fruity - Various £1.
    This is a Warner Bros sampler from '72 of bluesy rock artists on their roster, such as Van Morrison, Fleetwood Mac, Grateful Dead and, er, Fanny. However, the highlight is a tremendous live cover of 'Maybe I'm Amazed' by The Faces.

No Regrets - Walker Brothers £1
    This is their '75 comeback album, which I've always steered clear from as it's not supposed to be very good. But it looked near mint, so happy to pick it up. Forever the reluctant popstar, Scott covers his face on the front cover, despite being one of the most photogenic singers of the time.

Rhythm Of The Saints - Paul Simon £1
    Definitely one of my favourite Paul Simon records and, although I've already got this on vinyl, this will replace my rather shabby copy.

Hammerhead, MC Rag, Mylene and 13 others like this.
  23. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Ok I’m eight time zones away but I did have a sort USA-UK themed score found Lola the original American Reprise CD version by the Kinks. Also found the hybrid SACD Come Dancing greatest hits comp at the same store. Both a $1.99 USD.
    Picked up the reissue of Muswell Hillbillies (not at a thrift) and heard the song about Oklahoma. I guess people from both sides of the pond like to imagine what it’s like to live on the opposite side. That’s a really cool thing about the Kinks very British but obviously fascinated with America too.

24. Flannel

Flannel Forum Resident

I haven't been on here much lately, here's the stuff I've bought recently (quite a few were new/sealed and still half a buck):
    Equations Of Eternity - Equations Of Eternity | Releases | Discogs
    James Ferraro – NYC, Hell 3:00 AM (2013, CD) - Discogs
    Kuedo – Slow Knife (2016, CD) - Discogs
    Mark McGuire – A Young Person's Guide To Mark McGuire (2011, CD) - Discogs
    Michael Mayer – Mantasy (2012, CD) - Discogs
    Martyn – Voids (2018, CD) - Discogs
    Model 500 – Starlight (2008, CD) - Discogs (MC Rag, this is also worth checking!)
    Phon.O – Black Boulder (2012, CD) - Discogs
    N. Marriner Brahms 1&2 St. Martin in the Industrial Wastelands
    {iirc, that was all the sealed ones}
    Brian Wilson - Smile
    Nonplace Urban Field debut album
    Saloon - What We Call Progress (sounds like wimpy Stereolab at first, but either turning it up or repeat listens make it better
    Hank Ballard & the Midnighters - 20 Billboard Hits on King Federal
    Vivaldi Bepres something in a fatboy... with a bonus Four Seasons thron into it
    A Choir of Angels by Cantori I or something, can't find on discogs. Choral works, including interpretations of obscure stuff from Incas and such
    Orton Socket - 99 Explosions
    Tranquility Bass - Freak Flag flim flam
    While - Lock
    Unit - Narcoleptic Symphony
    Wizards from Kansas eponymous
    Banco de Gaia - Live at Glastonbury (it's alright, ehh)
    the 3 CDs of the Rhino box of gospel - Testify (this is great)
    jgrzinich - insular regions
    Kalyanji Anandji - Geet | Releases | Discogs
    Cumbia Cumbia (1989, Vinyl) - Discogs

Yay!

- Got this a while ago, and it from before your cutoff year, but I listen to it a lot and it's a 10/10 for me Intermix – Future Primitives (1995, CD) - Discogs

Also saw, some pages ago, that someone got the Parsley Sound CD in bunch of nice finds. I found it a few months ago and was surpised at how good it was.

Mylene, Dave S, mark e and 10 others like this.
  25. IanD41

IanD41 Forum Resident

Agreed - I love both!

Albiegator and Man at C&A like this.