UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. IanD41

IanD41 Forum Resident

Latest purchase was a copy of The Unforgettable Fire by U2 (the previous version - not the current remaster) from Oxfam in town (where I also picked up the 2CD Best Of Simple Minds recently) for £1.99 in excellent condition - I just had to change the case that's all - booklet (such as it is with this release!) perfect and only the tiniest of marks on the non-playing area of the disc itself. I'm only a 'casual fan' of U2 but this is a great album, very subtle and atmospheric in places and goes alongside The Joshua Tree and 18 Singles in my physical collection nicely.

2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's a really good album and my favourite U2 one. You can't really go wrong with any U2 album up to Zooropa apart from perhaps Rattle and Hum, but even that has it's good moments.

3. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Unforgettable Fire was my way in to U2. The title track just left me stunned.

EG.

4. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

One charity shop today, and one CD:

Mika - No Place In Heaven - £1

Quite pleased with that, given as it's only from 2015 and didn't do huge numbers, at least here in the UK. Was a massive hit in France! Mika's a great hit with the wider family.

5. mark e

mark e Forum Resident

now that's a list !
    so many on there that i would love to find
    if you haven't already due to the brilliance of that haul, then can i recommend the tranquility bass album.
    they became a thing known for trip hop styled grooves due to their inclusion on the mo'wax headz compilation,
    but their album proper does all that and a lot lot more.

Flannel and MC Rag like this.
  6. Cazale

Cazale Forum Resident

I bought a CD player a few weeks ago after abandoning CDs for streaming over a decade ago. After inspiration from this thread I hit seven charity shops over the weekend but there was very slim pickings in most unless your a fan of xfactor. As a jazz fan I was delighted to pick up the following for a £1 each.

Bob James – The Essential Collection 24 Smooth Jazz Classics
    Keith Jarrett - The Köln Concert
    Miles Davis - The Very Best of the Warner Bros. Sessions 1985 - 1991

7. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Reporting a non-purchase: strolled into my local BHF at the end of a shopping trip. Found two discs that interested me, neither of which I'd heard - Human League's Reproduction and Stan Getz A Sacred Flame (sic?). Stood at the counter while the staff hovered about in the stock room chatting to each other: I was in plain view, they just couldn't be bothered to serve me. In the end, I walked out, leaving both discs on the counter (had I had the cash, I would've left it there and walked). Apparently, the Stan Getz is one of his best albums, so may check if it's still there later in the week.

8. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Can't stand people like that.

9. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I love that Miles set of the Warner years, and became a Bob James convert a few years ago.

EG.

Cazale and Dirty Bertie like this.
  10. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

On the Thrifting subreddit, they call posting about stuff you didn’t buy a “catch and release” - I quite like that.

As someone currently trying to get a copy of Reproduction on eBay, it’s a bargain at charity shop prices, particularly if it’s the original issue rather than the remaster.

11. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

It was the remaster, with bonus tracks.

Alexlotl likes this.
  12. IanD41

IanD41 Forum Resident

It's the reason I bought it to get this fantastic track into my physical collection (most of their other albums I have in digital form on my laptop).

Eric_Generic likes this.
  13. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

The whole of side 1 is still incredible now.

EG.

IanD41 likes this.
  14. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

A couple of nice jazz finds today in Oxfam. The guy said they'd only just gone out on the shelf and he didn't think they'd hang around.

[​IMG]

15. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

A local shop just turned down several hundred, possibly thousands, of Jazz CDs, which have likely ended up in landfill, unfortunately there was nothing I could do after the event. On a positive, they did buy the vinyl, and I've had much fun going through it even though I already had most of what I'd have gone for.

16. minibreakfast

The thought of that many jazz CDs going into landfill is horrible.

17. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

Had a look in Oxfam this morning for a change, and got The Free Story for £1.99.

rikki nadir, MC Rag, Dave S and 4 others like this.
  18. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I wish they hadn't told me, but I suspect it is happening more than we realise. Even if the shop had turned round and given them my number I have neither the money nor space to pick up a big CD collection, plus the lack of transport.

19. minibreakfast

No joy in the chazzas of Beccles today (as usual these days), so here instead are some pics from the racks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I did however buy a great jumper for £4, so all is not lost.

20. Fawltykog

Fawltykog "Nothing Is Real"

Up The Irons!!

21. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

"What time is it, Beccles?"
    "What time is it Eccles?".wmv - YouTube

Always make me laugh.

Fawltykog likes this.
  22. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Selling a copy of Voyage with torn sleeve for more than you can get it brand new on amazon. Oops.

EG.

23. Dirty Bertie

Dirty Bertie Man with golden helmet, drinks water from a faucet

Simply no room for new jazz CDs with all those James Last records in the racks!

24. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I only visit record shops that are certified "James Last Free".

25. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

They save the best (shelves) for Last.

EG.