UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have that disc that he holds up: Alfred Brendel - Mozart Piano Concertos K450 & K467 :)

Putrifiers II likes this.
  2. Balcanquhal

Balcanquhal Forum Resident

The disc clearly made its mark: to quote him, a "lovely new toy"!

Putrifiers II and MC Rag like this.
  3. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Especially when it is a blue face Philips disc.

4. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I did buy sometime there, both in store and online. The online purchase was Marc Masters No Wave book. The in store purchase was a technical book. They were very good for obscure technical books.

Putrifiers II and Eric_Generic like this.
  5. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I have that disc.

6. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Lol let the audiophile in you go!

I thought the report was a lot like BBC reporting today - here is a problem with something that exists, here is a response to that problem that in no way addresses the original in the first place. The original problem at the start of the report was the decline in vinyl LP sales - too expensive for the consumer. The answer, a new format that is twice the cost! Errrr

7. Great Face For Radio

Great Face For Radio Sing Hosanna, the jazz snobs are all going home.

That's a great haul. Each and every one of those has plenty to commend it. I've been on the look out for McCartney and Lennon solo stuff without any great success so I'm a liittle envious. Warren Zevon's Excitable Boy is a great album and I'd imagine that BBC broadcast is good too, although I haven't heard it. Can't go wrong with Sly, Marvin or Kim either.

8. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

After a very dry period for CDs, went to one of my usual stops this morning which has two charity shops. Went in the hospice one first - nothing. Then to the RSPCA - a man was there in front of the shelves making a large pile of CDs - lots there I would have wanted such as Motörhead and Rainbow, all for 50p. He seemed to be taking the lot! I didn't stop to wait for him to finish. If I'd gone in there first...

I know we must miss out on things all the time...I just don't particularly want to see it happening in front of my own eyes!

Lee Davis, Siegmund, PIGGIES and 11 others like this.
  9. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

10. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

IIRC, CDs were actually launched during a recession, which probably explains EMI's reluctance to jump immediately on board. CDs were typically twice as expensive as vinyl in the early 80s, which might explain why so many titles were classical recordings (ones most likely to appeal to wealthy audiophiles).

11. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWV

If I remember right, the early pop and rock CDs were nearly all new releases, and for the first year or so after my first CD buy (June 1985) I really struggled to find CDs I thought worth buying. Wasn't it just Beatles and Stones albums that were the oldies that first got reissued on CD?

12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I think The Beatles were quite late in mid 1987.

MC Rag, Siegmund and Gavaxeman like this.
  13. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Two CDs for 50p each:

• The Pogues – Rum Sodomy & the Lash (1985)
    • Massive Attack – Mezzanine (1998)

14. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I think you are right. Most of the first pop and rock were new or fairly recent releases (in 1983). The selection got better in 1984 and onwards, although you probably struggled to find CDs being sold.

Apart from Abbey Road, which had a limited release in Japan, The Beatles were released on CD in 1987. I have a Hot Rocks 2 with the digitally remastered banner on the front (first release), but it is not especially early as far as CDs go. Neither are their CBS releases. Bruce Springsteen did a lot better with Born to Run in 1983 (1982 in Japan).

15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I think I saw a Sex Pistols Bollocks CD early on as a kid. Pink Floyd albums must have been released early on. Some stuff on Warners like The Doors and Led Zeppelin too, but I'm just guessing. I was about 10 when CDs started to appear in miniscule amounts in shops and they seemed fascinating. No-one I knew had a CD player until they were common though. I didn't get one until mid 1994. They seemed futuristic and were so expensive in the 80s and here we all are getting loads of them for less than the price of a packet of crisps now. That was unthinkable!

Lars Medley, MC Rag, Siegmund and 7 others like this.
  16. Dirty Bertie

Dirty Bertie Man with golden helmet, drinks water from a faucet

I've had this experience once or twice :D

phillyal1 and newelectricmuse like this.
  17. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

I’ve previously read that the RCA Bowie CDs were the first major reissue campaign on CD, in part because RCAs rights over the material were due to expire by the mid-80s. Looking at the dates though, the London Stones stuff must have run it close.

MC Rag, Putrifiers II, Dave S and 2 others like this.
  18. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

This has happened to me a few times. But then statistically there are other days when we all must be that guy, walking in just after the gems are put on the shelves and stopping the next person from even seeing them. So it probably all balances out.

19. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

That's true! Wise words, DG's Cat!

20. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Slightly OT, but this seems like a good place to ask, I've been wading through some of my boxed up records and found a couple of NOS albums in their master bags, but without covers, if anybody has a decent condition spare cover for Radiohead's "Hail To The Chief" or The Beatles "Let It Be Naked" I'd be very grateful.

Incidentally, so far this week I've binned 13 LPs and given 50+ 12"s away, I'm sure bad records are breading or somebody is breaking in and leaving them here, I even found some Nolans, I know wouldn't have let that in the house.:shake:

21. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    WEA - Stars on CD from April '84. CD titles listed include
    The Doors - The Doors
    Eagles - Hotel California
    Eagles - Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975
    Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    Fleetwood Mac - Mirage
    Led Zeppelin - IV
    Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark
    Van Morrison - Moondance
    Neil Young - Harvest

Future releases include The Griffith Park Collection (what happened to this one) and Prince - 1999 (2CD set that got truncated to one disc). There was a later yellow version.

I'm fairly sure that the Bowie disc predate The Stones on London, as the Bowie West German discs often don't have symbols at the end of their matrix numbers, meaning mid '84 or so. The Japan made Denon discs can be dated from the last two digits (or ocassional) letter of their matrix number.

As @Man at C&A said, the Pink Floyd reissues came out early. Wish You Were Here was part of CBS/Sony's first CD releases in October '82.

22. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

The Griffith Park Collection was released on Wounded Bird in 2008, and by a Japanese only Elektra Musician release in 2013. Both OOP and very expensive secondhand.

23. serendipitydawg

serendipitydawg Dag nabbit!

Somewhere in the depths of my garage, I think I still have a pre-fame fully-autographed Nolans LP. Bought in a charity shop, of course !

Putrifiers II and Man at C&A like this.
  24. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

An early signed LP makes complete sense, they likely played the same circuit as all those folk acts whose worthless records always turn up signed, I guess those bands were much closer to their audience/fans, do the Japanese still buy Nolans?

25. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Don't Love Me Too Hard was one of the first CDs released by CBS/Sony in 1982.

You don't see any Nolans CDs in charity shops. But someone must be buying them because the UK version of Don't Love Me Too Hard, Portrait was reissued by Cherry Red on CD in 2010, and is OOP and very expensive.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022