UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I guess they went out and bought a pile of CDs in the eighties at great cost to market their products and just never updated the discs even though they updated the storage. I remember one of the local record shops, long a holdout against CD buying their first CD rack, prior to that the few CDs were on a window sill, that first metal and wire rack cost something like £600, another shop I knew was paying over £1000 per unit for face on displays, there was a lot of money to be made selling commercial and domestic CD racking, we forget how things were before Ikea.

2. Great Face For Radio

Great Face For Radio Sing Hosanna, the jazz snobs are all going home.

Finally a few items of quality at a quid each on my local beat. Digitally remastered Da Capo by Love and two promo only albums I didn't have by the Liverpool post punk band Clinic, Do It! and the rarities compilation Funf.

There was also quite bit of interesting stuff I already have/don't want eg Husker Du, Joni Mitchell, Wedding Present, Frank Zappa, Pretenders, James.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  3. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

I think they were perhaps the victim of a bit of inverted snobbery from the music press. Britpop was seen as a working class movement, and Crispian Mills had poshness built into his very name. Fairly or not, he seemed to fit in with the familiar template of private school kid who goes on an (unaffordable to most) holiday to India and comes back thinking it's, you know, really spiritual, yeah?

4. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWV

Are we back to Space again? :doh:

The current issue of Shindig! magazine has an ad for a UK tour by Space next year.

Putrifiers II likes this.
  5. stanleyb

stanleyb Forum Resident

Picked up three CDs in Lewes yesterday:

Macca - All the Best
    Belle & Sebastian - Tigermilk
    Simon & Garfunkel - Parsley, Sage, etc

6. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Tigermilk is a lovely find.

As is the S&G, depending on the mastering! Worth complementing it with the mono needledrop from Prof Stoned, if you can find it.

stanleyb, MC Rag and Putrifiers II like this.
  7. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Just bought Auberge for 50p. I especially like the cover.
    [​IMG]

Mark B., Dave S, rikki nadir and 5 others like this.
  8. RJDG14

RJDG14 Forum Resident

I found several late 1980s CDs of interest in a charity shop earlier today. All of them appeared to have been donated by the same person given the fact that they all shared the same slightly yellowed jewel case, were all more or less completely free of scratches on the disc, and all had the same Gift Aid number:

*Cheap Trick - Lap of Luxury
    *Marillion - Clutching At Straws
    *Heart - Bad Animals
    *Hooters - One Way Home

9. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

:righton:

Yes, the "racing green" is my preferred sleeve of the two (the original Feb 1991 cover was cream, this was the re-promoted 2nd version with Winter Song added). I kept both, even when I bought the Rhino 2CD deluxe.

EG.

10. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Excellent batch of 1987/88 discs ! :)

EG.

rikki nadir and RJDG14 like this.
  11. RJDG14

RJDG14 Forum Resident

One of the 1987 discs here looks to have been reissued in 1989 with a different catalogue number. The one I have has the 1987 catalogue number. All of them appear to have belonged to the same individual, and they all have sturdy dark grey jewel cases and no IFPI source code on the disc, so I'd imagine these were likely purchased in the late 1980s (or early 1990s at the latest).

I happened to also buy 3 other discs that had belonged to the same person. One of these has "MADE IN W. GERMANY BY PDO" on its matrix. Did PDO continue manufacturing discs of old releases with mention of West Germany after reunification in 1990, or did they switch to simply Germany on all new pressings?

12. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

They were naff, but the single Govinder is a great upbeat indie Hindi pop track. I like that one.

Man at C&A likes this.
  13. Rossman

Rossman Forum Resident

The painting is by Alan Fearnley. Former proprietor of probably the best independent record shop in Middlesbrough. Unfortunately the record shop has closed down and is now, I think, a fashion shop run by his daughter.

14. Fawltykog

Fawltykog "Nothing Is Real"

A nice kinda rare find for a £1 today in the local Chazza, lot's of great tunes and it sounds great too. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mark B., Dave S, Mandocello and 12 others like this.
  15. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

didn't know that - what a great shop - back in the day

16. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

That’s a great track listing! I really should look at compilations a bit more in chazzas, I tend to pass them over.

I’d love to find The Normal on CD. There was a single reissue on Mute of their two tracks, but it’s pretty hard to find.

17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I didn't know that! I saw and had a quick chat with Alan Fearnley at a record fair a couple of years ago. It's local legend of a record shop! It's still very much missed. His daughter's fashion shop seems to have closed now.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  18. RJDG14

RJDG14 Forum Resident

Which Husker Du albums were they? Candy Apple Grey and Warehouse definitely seem to be the two most common CD albums by them in the UK.

Dave S, Man at C&A and Eric_Generic like this.
  19. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

I've got that one! (Also from a charity shop, a few years ago). Some great tracks on there. Lots of music for a £!

Fawltykog likes this.
  20. Great Face For Radio

Great Face For Radio Sing Hosanna, the jazz snobs are all going home.

It was Candy Apple Grey. It's a brilliant album but of course I already have it.

Elsewhere my luck seems to have turned. I wandered into a local Oxfam this morning and picked up a copy of Silence Yourself, the debut album by Savages for 50p, They're a band I've heard a lot about but not heard much by, so I'm looking forward to listening to this one.

21. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWV

I haven't found much this week. One LP and four CDs from three shops in North and East Lancashire.

Merseybeats Greatest Hits. A re-recorded hits album which would have been sold at concerts, and this copy is autographed by all the members of the band, though the only one I can decipher is Tony Crane.
    Herbie Hancock - Day Dreams (live), £1.99
    Duran Duran - Arena (live), £1
    The Best of Chris Rea, 50p
    Barry Nelson Band. A 3-track CD, autographed by Barry Nelson at a solo show he did at a Lancaster pub in 1999. I'd never heard of him before, but this is good, a little like what Trapeze sounded like after Glenn Hughes had left. 50p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I believe Crispian was quoted as saying that, although people in India lived in terrible poverty, it was 'OK, because they're in touch with their spiritual sides.'

A Nazi-approving author was also quoted in their liner notes (I forget for which album, though) I recall.

Kula Shaker went through the floorboards with the release of their second album. Suddenly, they looked dated, rather than retro. I can remember at big window display for that album in Tower Records, Piccadilly.

23. saw119

saw119 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Speculative pop in as I walked by a PDSA led to these beauts yesterday. The dvd I bought primarily for the '62 RFH gig. CDs 99p and dvd £1.49. you really can't go wrong.

24. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

That Herbie CD is good, but the pic of him on the front is from a totally different era to the music, as I learned when I bought it at a boot sale this year!

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  25. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

The Louis and Ella album is superb.