UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. zither

zither Forum Resident

Poor old U Roy looked a tad squashed down the bottom there!

MC Rag, Eric_Generic and Dubmart like this.
  2. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

No records were harmed in the taking of the photo and U Roy has made a full recovery.:righton:

3. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Off to my first car boot in ages tomorrow, with my wife and kids off staying with the in-laws, so no other obligations. Weather looks fantastic. I should finally be able to do the 3 hour total-rinse I’ve been craving all year.

Dubmart likes this.
  4. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

Puts my 10p purchase today to shame :)

Eric_Generic likes this.
  5. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

And I was worrying about where I'm going to put the 15 LPs I bought this at this morning's boot!

6. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

Amazing! Do you go round with a cart or something? :) :)

7. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Latest haul, some select picks only:
    1. Traveling Wilburys (original CD)
    2. Traveling Wilburys 3 (original CD)
    3. Rewind: Rolling Stones
    4. Gala: Walker Brothers
    5. Bookends: Simon and Garfunkel (original mix)
    6. On Every Street: Dire Straits
    7. 20 Golden Greats: The Hollies

Plus a stack of original 80's pressed CD's. Too many to mention.

8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I can usually press gang some helpers, today did involve a few trips back to the car, the first one about twenty minutes after arriving which is probably a first, there were records turning up at the very start at 6.00am right up until 9.30am when someone turned up with a stack of original Bowie and Black Sabbath LPs among other things, all of which I entirely missed by being 5 minutes too late, a totally mad day. I will be off at 5am tomorrow, a different county and different boots so we'll see if I find anything, I have zero expectations.

9. minibreakfast

What kind of money do you spend? I imagine these aren't all a quid a pop, unless you're exceptionally lucky! All they all keepers or will you flip or swap a few?

10. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

The first rule of booting is to leave your expectations at home. :)

MC Rag likes this.
  11. Somerset Scholar

I must say I do a heck of a lot of charity shops and the vinyl now is rubbish.

Man at C&A likes this.
  12. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I spent over £500 today, the days of 50p and £1 records are mostly long gone, so you have to spend, sometimes I keep everything, but not today, I gave my friend a record he'd asked me to look out for, my niece is having two or three, I'm keeping about thirty and the rest are getting traded in this week, some of them after I've compared them to my existing copy, I won't get rich, but it will definitely cover what I keep, plus the pile of books and CDs I picked up today as well. As well as all the things I missed which was a lot today I also left behind several LPs which were nice, but the sellers just wanted too much, £30 for an eighties "Dark Side Of The Moon" several overpriced Zeps and Beatles, it must have been national take your vinyl to a boot sale day and I didn't know, remineded me of booting in the late eighties.

13. minibreakfast

Sounds like you got your money's worth! Yeah, the glory days of booting are gone, but there are still some gems out there to be found occasionally. Recent 50p-ers for me have included some wonderful Nigerian highlife and Indian classical, and just last weekend a stereo Decca pressing of Ptooff! by The Deviants (the latter only VG, but still!). Most times though anything worth having is a lot more. CDs are the real bargains now.

garrincha, Dubmart and Eric_Generic like this.
  14. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'd love to find some African and Indian LPs, right up my street, I was chuffed with the six Brazilian LPs today, bit disappointed that the seller had also lived in Somalia and the Middle East, but apparently didn't buy any LPs there though.

garrincha, MC Rag and minibreakfast like this.
  15. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

The Blondie Parallel Lines and Springsteen Born in the U.S.A. couldn't have been expensive, unless I'm missing something. Still, I see some nice stuff that I would to find in a charity shop, or even a regular shop. What's the Blonde on Blonde?

Dubmart likes this.
  16. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

There was a time, not so long ago, that you could find some decent LPs for a £1 in charity shops. Those days however have passed.

17. Somerset Scholar

I know. I built most of my collection from superb finds some number of years back. Been tough hunting for vinyl for a few years now.

Dubmart and Man at C&A like this.
  18. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

The Sam Cooke "The Man and His Music" compilation is a thing of wonder too. Fantastic collection.

Man at C&A, Eric_Generic and Dubmart like this.
  19. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Blondie was £3, they fetch £15 in local shops, Springsteen probably a couple of quid, don't actually remember picking that up:confused:, "Blonde On Blonde" is an early orange label.

Dave S likes this.
  20. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wales?

21. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Rinse done! Small boot today, either everyone hiding from the heat or heading to the coast I think. Was looking like a wash for CDs before I spotted a vinyl trader had about 8 crates of CDs in his car! Had a good dig through and walked away with the following for £18 all in:

Stevie Wonder - Innervisions (original Tamla Motown CD)
    Bob Marley & The Wailers - Exodus (Diament mastering)
    Nico - Chelsea Girl (anonymously mastered old Polydor, early 90s at a guess)
    The Mar-Keys & Booker T & The MGs - Back To Back (Inglot & Hersch remaster)
    David Bowie - Tonight (Japan for UK first run)
    David Bowie - The Next Day (I’ve been stingily waiting for a cheap copy of this for years!)
    Vivian Stanshall - Sir Henry at Rawlinson’s End (didn’t even know this was on CD!)

Plus two Asterix books, some kids books, the Watchmen trade paperback, a big Duplo base plate for 50p (bargain of the day!) and a few decent filler board games.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  22. ANALOGUE OR DEATH

ANALOGUE OR DEATH Forum Resident

Some nice stuff in your pile.As regards the Parallel Lines.It's still a pretty easy find around these parts at about £8-£10 in the record shops in nice shape If someone wanted £15 for a copy I'd expect it to have never been played and look like it had come fresh from the record shop in 1978!
    I find now that even big sellers from the late 70's to mid 80's are getting pricey for really top copies.I mean really properly near mint.Talking about vinyl copies of course.

23. minibreakfast

It wasn't so long ago that Parallel Lines was a common spot at 50p or £1. *sigh*

24. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Wiltshire, but today was a waste of time, three boot sales, and bought three LPs, all at the first one, yesterday was indeed a fluke.

With regards "Parallel Lines", £15 would be for a near mint copy and it's still common at boot sales, I've picked a few up this summer, but they aren't getting any more common and I guess several of the top selling used records by quantity if not value were everywhere for very little a few years back: "Rumours", "Graceland", "Thriller", "Dark Side Of The Moon", "Legend", "Led Zep II", etc.

minibreakfast likes this.
  25. ANALOGUE OR DEATH

ANALOGUE OR DEATH Forum Resident

Yes,I mean finding them in second-hand record shops.Common titles obviously still show up at car boots but not usually minty.I remember when you were falling over copies of Rumours for 50p/£1.

Man at C&A likes this.