UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

Nothing. Not a thing.

Eric_Generic and FramboGND like this.
  2. jon10g

jon10g Forum Resident

Picked up Divine Madness compilation for 99p today

3. Liquid Len

Liquid Len Forum Resident

Yesterday at two S Yorkshire 'chazzers': Roxy Music 'For Your Pleasure' (remastered), Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel 'The Best Years Of Our Lives' & The Blue Nile 'High' & 'Peace At Last' - all for three quid. A just reward after a long, fruitless hiatus methinks.

4. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Sound the BLUE NILE klaxon!!! :goodie:

EG.

5. Scooby

Scooby Well-Known Member

Today at Keswick Cumbria...Peter Gabriel - US (I'm a bit late to the Peter Gabriel party) £1.00 and still had its original price sticker of £12.00 from Woolworths...my god we were buying cds in 1992 for 12 quid

6. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Or more. My copy of Tubular Bells II and Lindsey Buckingham's Out of the Cradle were 12.99 and 14.49!

EG.

7. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

I have a copy of the Imagine remaster with a Virgin price sticker for £15.99! (It cost me £1...)

8. Scooby

Scooby Well-Known Member

Just ripped it to my laptop & noticed it's
    actually £12.99........even worse than I first thought:yikes:

Jagger69 and Eric_Generic like this.
  9. Artificial Man

Artificial Man Forum Resident

Love Grant Lee Phillips and his early band Grant Lee Buffalo.
    Nineteeneighties isn’t one a listen to very often, fairly faithful covers of some great songs from the 80’s.
    Maybe not the place to start with Grant but if you like it there are plenty more band and solo albums to discover

Jagger69 likes this.
  10. Artificial Man

Artificial Man Forum Resident

:)
    £12.99 was pretty standard back then. I remember buying Eric Matthews It’s Heavy In Here in 1995 as an import for £18.99 from HMV as it hadn’t received a Uk release at that point. A couple of weeks later saw it in the main racks for six quid less! Still pricey compared to now. The joys of of pre internet cd buying :)

11. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Agree Mansun we’re one of the great singles bands - all the cd singles are worth getting

12. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I bought the original CD in 1997, the 3CD fatbox reissue and the big 12x12" super deluxe (it was a ridiculous £20 on amazon, brand new, at one time).

EG.

13. serendipitydawg

serendipitydawg Dag nabbit!

I get quite a kick out of buying cheap CDs with the original outrageous price stickers still intact on the front. At a record fair recently, I bought a 2CD opera box with a Virgin sticker for £30.99, for a £1 !

mark e, Gavman, Alexlotl and 10 others like this.
  14. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Yes, I found a Chess (The Musical) original 2CD fatbox with the thick booklet for £3 last summer. Our Price sticker had 26.99 on it.

EG.

15. Fawltykog

Fawltykog "Nothing Is Real"

Found this the day the local Chazza opened after the worst of the pandemic, posted it before on here but yeah i paid £1 i seem to recall for it.

[​IMG]

16. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Not chaz per se, but Magpie’s most recent 20% off on eBay had an unusually low minimum purchase price (£9.99) so I indulged. £9.43 for this lot:

[​IMG]

Elliott Smith - New Moon (2CD). Unreleased tracks from the Domino era, unusually well received for a posthumous release.
    Charles Avison - Concertos Op. 3 & 4 - Avison Ensemble. 2CD, sealed.
    Robert Cray - Midnight Stroll and Shame + A Sin, both WG Polygrams.

I’m slowly working my way through Cray’s albums chronologically, with Midnight Stroll next on the list. It should have been I Was Warned after that, but Shame + A Sin was in a Buy 2 get 40% off with Midnight Stroll, so I skipped one. This is the first of his post-Dennis Walker albums, looking forward to hearing it, as I think it marks a move towards more soul-influenced material. They’re remarkably consistent albums, although they suffer from the production values of the times.

17. minibreakfast

I've not yet ventured out today, but these just arrived in a package from a friend who's had some incredible charity shop luck recently. I think most if not all of these cost him 10p each.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Low Down is a film soundtrack and looks to be jazzy stuff.

18. Jagger69

Jagger69 Forum Resident

Robert Cray "Midnight Stroll" is a very good album. I don't have "Shame + A Sin".

19. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Floating Points is fairly new. An amazing find.

20. minibreakfast

Just now in my local: Dollar Brand - African Piano, on ECM. £1.

Also, they'd moved the CDs down to a more sensible shelf, so no more cricked neck trying to read the spines.

21. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I'm missing Shame + A Sin as well...I have Midnight Stroll and then I Was Warned. Terrible artwork, symptomatic of the mid-late 90s aesthetic which I disliked.

EG.

AlmostHeavenWV and Jagger69 like this.
  22. Gavman

Gavman Forum Resident

‘Now that’s what I call a bargain’.

AlmostHeavenWV and Fawltykog like this.
  23. mark e

mark e Forum Resident

the weeks finds for £4 :

Various Artists - Gilles Peterson In Africa (2cd)
    Parliament - Live (P Funk Earth Tour)
    Racey - The Best of Racey (EMI/Germany reissue of debut album + extra tracks)
    Mike Oldfield - Hergest Ridge

most chuffed about : all of them !
    i love the other Gilles mixes/comps that i have, and this one is a proper keeper.
    when i saw the spine for the Racey cd i pulled it out expecting a cheesy compilation featuring re-recorded tracks by one member type of affair,
    so was very pleasantly surprised to see it was an EMI/Germany release, with the same coverart/typeface etc as their debut album.
    and yeah, Mike Oldfield !
    very chuffed to find that, as its not often you see MO cds other than TB of course ..

Dirty Bertie, MC Rag, jon10g and 11 others like this.
  24. Gavman

Gavman Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    No charity cds today. Yet I got another £2 Charity shop vinyl find. Sounding great after a thorough clean. A ‘Nice Price’ reissue with ‘sunburst’ labels. I’m not sure if original masters/stampers were used, yet I like the sound of this one. In fact I think it’s compares well with my great Vic Anesini mastered cd and the hi-res on Apple Music.

25. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

And all the vinyl pressings were riddled with noise, so the CD is definitely the way to go here!