UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Artificial Man

Artificial Man Forum Resident

Is that your blog? Think I have see the site before, probably from a link you have posted before, when I was still a lurker here.

Nice write up of the Black Cadillac album, I now have to search for any footage of the bbc documentary…

Jagger69 and Eric_Generic like this.
  2. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Thanks, @Artificial Man :) Yes, it's the music blog I've had since about 2017. Those top 100 write-ups were all done in a short space of time, so I kept them brief but that BBC documentary needs to be aired again. Don't think I've ever seen it repeated.

EG.

Jagger69 and Artificial Man like this.
  3. Artificial Man

Just having a skim now, definitely remember reading the Fleetwood Mac 1988-93 article and one about Howard Jones which brought back a few memories.
    Have bookmarked a few more pages to read as they tie in with me reacquainted myself with all things 80’s :righton:

Jagger69 and Eric_Generic like this.
  4. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

:D

Dirty Bertie and Jagger69 like this.
  5. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

I’m sure he can write it off as a tax loss.

6. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWV

The Sprawl, Jagger69 and Eric_Generic like this.
  7. IanD41

IanD41 Forum Resident

A truly wonderful collection....of jewel cases and clear disc trays!

8. Dirty Bertie

Dirty Bertie Man with golden helmet, drinks water from a faucet

I’m back, baby! Much like an Australian summer, I’ve been experiencing a drought here when it comes to CDs. Pleased to say that my thirst has now been quenched. Returned to a regular haunt and came away with a fantastic mix of stuff. $2 each so $20 in total! Very happy.

[​IMG]

MC Rag, The Sprawl, Dave S and 14 others like this.
  9. Dirty Bertie

That Chic Vol. 2 has some brilliant stuff on it. Well worth a listen.

10. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Cooper Temple Clause made it all the way to Australia!

EG.

Jagger69 and Dirty Bertie like this.
  11. Dirty Bertie

The name rang a faint bell so I thought for $2 I would give it a go. Read something about them sounding a bit like Hawkwind too, which sealed the deal.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  12. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

It's their debut...initial UK copies came with a bonus disc. The 2nd album was more electronic.

EG.

AlmostHeavenWV and Dirty Bertie like this.
  13. saw119

saw119 Forum Resident

Herbie Hancock, Sun Ra, Ravi Shankar and some Studio One Dub! That is one blissful day of listening right there, doesn't get much better.

14. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

Fantastic!

Dirty Bertie likes this.
  15. saw119

saw119 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I am a charity shop junkie, they're like catnip to me. Pound each and bought to replace lost, missing or different formats like cassette. I'll be interested to hear this Beatles cd as I'm a mono lover Revolver.

jon10g, Hammerhead, Mylene and 13 others like this.
  16. Gavman

Gavman Forum Resident

Visited Hull. Oxfam a little more pricey than charity shops in my locale. Yet I didn’t begrudge paying £2.50 each for A-ha’s debut (2015 remaster) and the mono remaster of Otis Blue as they were ‘new looking’ and albums I love.
    [​IMG]
    They were in cases, just took out inlays as I’m currently reading the credits.

jon10g, Mylene, IanD41 and 14 others like this.
  17. CTank

CTank Forum Resident

[​IMG] Three more ACT Music CD’s from my local between Aldgate & Whitechapel. This must be towards the end of the Jazz CD’s they are putting out, surely. Left behind a John Schofield album on Impulse! The record label, not my motivation. It was missing the back cover, but I’m slightly regretting it now. If in doubt buy, should be the motto of all charity shop searchers.

18. JonF

JonF Forum Resident

Recent CD finds:

Billy Bragg - Best of at the BBC 1983-2019 (2CD set) £1.00
    Jack White - Boarding House Reach £1.00
    Jack White - Fear of the Dawn £1.00
    Jack White - Entering Heaven Alive £1.00
    Various - The Essential Guide To Africa (3CD in slipcase) £1.00
    Suzi Quatro - The Very Best Of (signed by Suzi on front of booklet) £1.00
    Tal Farlow - Finest Hour £1.00
    Flatt and Scruggs - The Essential (2CD) £1.00
    Santana - Greatest Hits £1.00
    John Power - Happening For Love £1.00
    The Adverts - Cast of Thousands / Complete Radio Sessions £1.00

Cassettes:
    Judie Tzuke - Left Hand Talking 25p
    Commander Cody - Let's Rock 25p
    John and Mary - Victory Gardens 25p

Top find: The Adverts, obviously. Also really enoyed the John Power album - far superior to Cast, that's for sure.

Miles1968, Dave S, MC Rag and 13 others like this.
  19. CTank

CTank Forum Resident

That Africa set should be interesting.

JonF and Mylene like this.
  20. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWV

Only went in a couple of charity shops this morning because the wind and the snow were a bit nasty—the sort of driving snow that stings your face when it hits you—and the two I went in are both usually dead losses when it comes to decent CDs. Imagine my surprise when I came across a Sham 69 album - That's Life for £1.

[​IMG]

21. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

Some fairly interesting CDs this week (so far...) Nothing earth-shattering, but some of these are a bit different from the usual.

3 for £1:
    The Band of Heathens - The Band of Heathens
    Cowboy Junkies - The Trinity Sessions k.d. lang - Ingénue (25th Anniversary Edition) (2CD)

Three rootsy (to varying degrees) CDs. The k.d. lang is in a little box with a bonus MTV Unplugged CD.

50p each:
    CMU - Space Cabaret/Open Spaces (2on1 - almost - one track is omitted)
    The CD inlay calls it "progressive folk" which got my interest but it doesn't sound like that to me. The 1973 album sounds a bit dated for the time bearing in mind what other prog bands like ELP and Yes were doing then. Still, quite an interesting find.
    Bauhaus - Crackle - Best of Bauhaus
    I only remember some of the singles from TOTP back in the day. Interested to hear more.

£1 each:
    Davy Spillane Band - Out Of The Air
    The ex-Moving Hearts uillean pipes and low whistle man with rock band (including Rory Gallagher on one track). I think I had this on cassette.
    Pavlov's Dog - Pampered Menial Pavlov's Dog - At The Sound Of The Bell
    Very pleased to find these: excellent prog rock with lots of Mellotron (and what you might call "distinctive" vocals!)
    Van Morrison - Trilogy - Three Classic Albums (3CD - Astral Weeks, Moondance, His Band And The Street Choir)
    I already have these three albums separately, of course (no home should be without them), so I don't know why I bought them again in this little book-type package, but you know how it is...

99p:
    Florida Georgia Line - Greatest Hits
    This is modern country - I might like it, I might not, but thought I'd give it a try...

22. Artificial Man

Some nice finds there :righton:

23. IanD41

IanD41 Forum Resident

Never seen a Sham 69 CD in a charity shop before - Jimmy Pursey used to live no more than a mile from where I am back in the 2000's (and might still do for all I know!).

24. Artificial Man

Lunchtime walk to town and picked up the following, 3 for £1

Madonna - Immaculate Collection

Cyndi Lauper- Twelve Deadly Cyns….and then some

George Michael- Faith
    [​IMG]

Already have the Madonna comp but not sure where it is stored. Nothing else in that shop to make up the deal so another copy won’t hurt!

Thought I had got myself some other bargains in another shop (U2 - Achtung Baby, Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes, PJ Harvey - Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea and This Mortal Coil - It’ll End in Tears) but all the discs were fairly badly scratched. I don’t rip my cd’s so didn’t think it was worth picking them up.

Took a chance on a fairly beat up Dire Straits Money For Nothing comp a few months ago that won’t play so reluctant to pick any more up unless particularly rare.

My disappointment was eased when a Music Magpie delivery was waiting for me when I got home.

[​IMG]

Cyndi Lauper- Hat Full of Stars and She’s So Unusual

Aimee Mann - Whatever and Bachelor No.2

Less than £8 for the lot after taking advantage of the buy one get 40% off another offer. thanks to @Alexlotl for the tip off

25. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

A brilliant Ravi disc and the best Popol Vuh, these kind of days make it all worthwhile!