UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Dirty Bertie

Dirty Bertie Man with golden helmet, drinks water from a faucet

Yes, easily my best haul in quite a while!

2. Dirty Bertie

Getting through a few of my recent purchases and, as always, am just floored by the greatness of Chet Baker. I've purchased plenty of Chet Baker CDs in op shops and have not found a bad one yet. I know he's got the mystique and (at least in the early part of his career) the matinee idol looks, but he just gets me every time. If you've been put off diving into his discography because of notions he's lightweight fake jazz or just hyped, I implore you to think again and give him a go. I love all his periods, from the 50s through to the end of his career in the 80s. All worth hearing!

[​IMG]

3. Fawltykog

Fawltykog "Nothing Is Real"

2 finds for £1 this rainy morn.

Regarding the ABBA Collection a few weeks ago i snapped up the set which had CD 1 missing which i posted on here, today i found the complete set all CD's present and correct so...

[​IMG]

4. saw119

saw119 Forum Resident

Is that ABBA set the Readers Digest one? I had a copy of it in my hands today but put it back, I'm thinking now I should have bought it. £2.99 is a little more than I'd usually pay.

Jagger69 and Fawltykog like this.
  5. saw119

saw119 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Today's purchases and bloody delighted by No Depression, which is the reissue with bonus tracks, for £1.50. The other two were a pound each.

MC Rag, harmonica98, Dave S and 8 others like this.
  6. Fawltykog

Fawltykog "Nothing Is Real"

Yep! Worth getting imo 4 CD's worth of ABBA goodness.

7. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Well I found myself back in the Oxfam from last weekend and that Japan for EU of Born To Run was still there so I got it.

EG.

MC Rag, Dave S, Dubmart and 11 others like this.
  8. saw119

saw119 Forum Resident

If it's still there next week I'll pick it up.

9. Jagger69

Jagger69 Forum Resident

I knew you couldn't resist this one :agree: Do you still have room on your shelf for all those CBS Japan for EU discs :winkgrin:

Eric_Generic likes this.
  10. Artificial Man

Artificial Man Forum Resident

I have the original No Depression cd but would’ve been delighted to find the reissue with bonus tracks

saw119 likes this.
  11. Albiegator

Albiegator Forum Resident

Found the following CDs today

[​IMG]

Wonderland - Erasure 1986 CD £1
    Darklands - Jesus And Mary Chain £1

Wonderland is an original release from 1986 and Darklands is a 90s reissue. Very rarely see JAMC in charity shops.

Also got the following records
    [​IMG]
    The Luxury Gap - Heaven 17 LP £3
    1967 - 1970 (blue) - The Beatles LP £7

The Luxury Gap was quite marked but I thought £3 for such a great
    record wasn't an enormous risk. Unfortunately, despite a good clean, it's very noisy. Crushed By The Wheels Of...second hand record collecting.
    1967 - 1970, on the other hand, was in unbelievable condition for such an early copy, particularly at £7.

12. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Nice find on the Erasure! It flopped on release in '86 but isn't really that inferior to the ones which followed and sold by the bucketload. You also don't see Darklands very often (or at least I don't).

EG.

13. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

I’ve found Darklands and Psychocandy at the car boots in the last decade. Not a band you see often, I agree.

I have The Luxury Gap on CD, an early 90s one at a guess, without unflagged pre-emphasis but before the loudness wars. Sounds very decent.

Every now and then a single song from an album permeates my kids consciousness, and it’s Who’ll Stop The Rain in this case, thanks to the “Fire, Fire, Fire” hook. Often requested in the car as a result. Personally I’m all about singing the “Woo! Woo!” in Crushed By The Wheels of Industry!

MC Rag, LivingForever, Dave S and 7 others like this.
  14. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

It’s ironic that a ‘57 Chevy, a car that virtually screams “America”, is on the front cover of an album called Jazz in Paris.

15. Dirty Bertie

Good pick up. Maybe a Citroen 2CV instead?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
    MC Rag and DISKOJOE like this.
  16. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Thanks to whoever pointed out they are different masterings....not only that, but the disc faces themselves are quite different...the Austria pressing also has 1980 added to the (C) (or (P), I forget which). So well worth having!

EG.

Dave Gilmour's Cat and Jagger69 like this.
  17. Station2Station

Station2Station Forum Resident

Slim pickings this week.
    I have a big enough stack ready to listen to anyway.
    Gurrumul 'Rrakala' (2011) First time I've seen a cd by him in a op shop.
    James Morrison 'Postcards From Down Under' (1988).

18. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWV

I found Gurrumul's first CD album in a UK charity shop a couple of years or so ago, cost me £2, and then saw another copy of the same fairly recently.

19. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Come to Brunswick he's everywhere.

20. jon10g

jon10g Forum Resident

Outstanding haul! Would love to find The Adverts and Jack White CDs

21. Artificial Man

A trip to Somerset yesterday, Wellington and Taunton.

In Wellington got the these:

Count Basie - Anthology 3 disc, 1993

Patsy Cline - Best of, 1999

Temptations - Greatest Hits, 1992

Sleeper - Smart, 1995
    [​IMG]

£3 in total from Oxfam which for some reason doesn’t follow the same pricing structure as their other shops.

Basie set is missing the insert so no idea what period it covers. Patsy Cline contains several songs I haven’t heard before and is missing some of her big songs but I have them elsewhere.

From the Animal Sanctuary shop:

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, Columbia Legacy edition from 1997

Oscar Peterson - Piano Moods, The best of, 2 disc 1998 Polygram.

£1 each but on buy 1 get 1 free offer. Only a small selection of cd’s on display but the lady on the till brought out some boxes from the back room for me to have a look through. No more gems unfortunately but very happy with the Miles cd.

Another couple from St Margaret’s Hospice shop, 50p each

Louis Armstrong - Jazz Lips (Charley Records) 1993

Bryan Ferry - Ultimate Collection 1988

[​IMG]

Armstrong comp has no details on the case but appears to be his early stuff from 1925-28. May not be a keeper but worth a try.

In Taunton picked up these from St Margaret’s Hospice shop:

Elton John - Very Best of 2 disc fat boy from 1990 for £1.50

Tears For Fears - Tears Roll Down Greatest Hits from 1992 for £1.

[​IMG]

The Ferry and TfF comps worth having for the non album tracks. Help Me being a US only single for Ferry and Laid So Low (Tears Roll Down) only being a single released prior to TfF comp and never being seen again.

Pretty pleased overall, maybe need to be a little more selective as have picked up loads in the last couple on months but you never know when the well will run dry!

MC Rag, jon10g, saw119 and 15 others like this.
  22. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Good solid 80s/90s comps there by EJ, Ferry and TFF :agree::righton:

EG.

23. jon10g

jon10g Forum Resident

Got one today
    Holly Johnson - Bang CD 49p

24. Artificial Man

:)
    Been after the Elton one for a while so happy to pick it up for only £1.50. Seen other copies for more in worse condition.
    Still after some of the individual albums from his classic period but this will make a nice listen :)
    Can never have enough TfF so was always going to pick that one up

25. Albiegator

Albiegator Forum Resident

One of my locals have recently had a donation of 70s US and UK vinyl releases, with the lots of Steve Miller Band, Bad Company and Cat Stevens. However, it was this copy of Stevie Wonder's 'Hotter Than July' that interested me yesterday:
    [​IMG]
    It has all the same catalogue numbers as the original American release, but this one was pressed by EMI Singapore for the Singapore/Malaysia/Hong Kong markets.

I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, so not sure if it's a good pressing. I've only got an 80s cassette and early 90s repress CD to compare it against but it's in excellent condition and was only £1.