UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I would humbly suggest that their other 1960s albums are much better…

2. RJDG14

RJDG14 Forum Resident

I'd agree that it's not one of their best albums, although I still find it interesting to hear some of their 1960s output.

I think Ummagumma was recorded at a weird time when Syd Barrett left, but Gilmour/Waters/Mason hadn't really found their new sound (which I'd say they had achieved by Meddle, and mastered on The Dark Side Of The Moon).

Jagger69, johnnywas and croquetlawns like this.
  3. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

The live disc is good, but the studio disc is probably my least favourite Floyd!

Jagger69, Albiegator and RJDG14 like this.
  4. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

5. RJDG14

RJDG14 Forum Resident

6. Gavman

Gavman Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Anita Baker - Rapture and Living Colour - Times Up cds, 50p each from Scope charity. Plus ABBA - Voulez Vous and The Hits Album 8 vinyl for £2 each from the same charity shop.

Also picked up a 1984 Portuguese pressing (Harry Moss initials in deadwax) of the Beatles White Album (£26) and Madonna - You Can Dance (£5) from my local indie.
    [​IMG]

7. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Cannot go wrong with that Anita Baker CD :)

EG.

Dirty Bertie, Jagger69 and johnnywas like this.
  8. Gavman

Gavman Forum Resident

I’ve had the ‘Apple Digital Master’ iTunes version for years, which sounds great. I like the songs too of course. Noticed the Barry Diament credit on this cd :thumbsup:.

Jagger69, Albiegator and Eric_Generic like this.
  9. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I had it on cassette originally, then upgraded....I've actually got a non-standard (for the UK anyway) all-silver disc, rather than the normal Warner/Elektra style for that period.

EG.

Jagger69 and johnnywas like this.
  10. johnnywas

johnnywas "London Calling to the faraway towns."

I received Stephen's book today via the postie, some of these post ladies will be developing strong arm muscles.:D
    As pictured you can see it takes second place, to the biggest music book in my collection, the 1,120 page Rock Discography!
    The font used in the text is very clear and readable and i look forward to digging in to it over the Easter holidays. An away day trip tomorrow promises some new finds, it will be interesting to see if any are included.

[​IMG]

phillyal1, SimonCH, Jagger69 and 5 others like this.
  11. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Oh yes, those older Rock Discography tomes weigh a TON.

EG.

Jagger69 and johnnywas like this.
  12. johnnywas

After a successful visit on Saturday I returned to my local shop on Wednesday to see if the shelves had been restocked. There were few gaps, which is always a good sign and I found the following:
    • Steve Earle - Copperhead Road (MCA) 1988, mastered by Nimbus
    • Gladys Knight - The Greatest Hits (Camden/BMG) 1998, Disctronics
    • Emmylou Harris - Quarter Moon In A Ten Cent Town (Warner Bros/Rhino) 1978, 2004 issue + 2 bonus tr.
    • Dexys Midnight Runners - Too-Rye-Ay (Mercury) 1982, 2000 issue
    • Nanci Griffith - Ruby's Torch (Rounder) 2006
    • Jeff Wayne - The War Of The Worlds (2CD) (Columbia Sony) 1978, 1996 s.e. digital remaster + 4 bonus remixes
    The first four listed were new, the other two I'd seen last time and left, 50p each apart from the 2CD fatbox. The usual narrow 2CD boxes are charged at 50p!
    I have WotW, the later 2005 issue in trifold digipak format. I'm not keen on that packaging because the extra weight of 2CDs and a thick booklet usually means it tears near the spine of the card.

[​IMG]

13. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I think that Nanci CD is one of the few of hers I don't have.

EG.

phillyal1, Jagger69 and johnnywas like this.
  14. johnnywas

Nice to have the all silver. I found a copy just before Christmas, it was the usual Warner / Elektra style with the red/black ring, a WME reissue. It's a classy album, great artwork too. I'd been looking out for it after Trevor Nelson the Radio 2 DJ recommended it before playing a track from it on his show.

Jagger69, Eric_Generic and Gavman like this.
  15. johnnywas

It was the three Tom Waits covers that caught my eye, fortunate for me it was still there.

16. Fawltykog

Fawltykog "Nothing Is Real"

A good price for The Beatles 'White Album' :)

17. Gavman

Gavman Forum Resident

I can only find one single page thread on SH forums regarding this pressing, no comments on sound quality, just assumptions that it won’t be good on account of it being Portuguese. No one commenting on sound at Discogs either. Simply being a pre 1987 vinyl copy of The White Album in fantastic condition for under £30 was all I needed to take the punt.

18. Fawltykog

Here's hoping it's a good pressing, i assume it came with the poster & four prints?

Jagger69 likes this.
  19. Gavman

Gavman Forum Resident

It would seem that this pressing doesn’t include the poster/lyric sheet and photos. Discogs discussion and photos of this pressing indicate as such. I’m not that bothered about this as I have the aforementioned extras on cd via the mono cd box set.

Jagger69 and Fawltykog like this.
  20. Gavman

Gavman Forum Resident

I really like the Living Colour Cd, I’ve been familiar with the name since about 1990, yet never bothered with them (not consciously though). After listening to some tracks from their debut ‘Vivid’ afterwards on Apple, I’ve purchased that cd online.

Regarding that White Album I bought, I’m nearing the end of side one as I type, extremely low surface noise and great sound. I hope I haven’t ‘jinxed’ it stating this, I’ll be unhappy if I encounter groove wear, repetitive pops or higher noise further on.

21. Albiegator

Albiegator Forum Resident

Excellent find, if push comes to shove, the White Album might just about be my favourite Beatles album. I've managed to pick up numerous copies down the years, mainly 1970s reissues from W Germany, US, Japan and UK and they all generally sound good to my ears. The only real duffer I have is a Venezuelan pressing, also from 1984.

Gavman, Jagger69 and Fawltykog like this.
  22. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Time's Up was my favourite of the 3 Living Colour albums I bought between 1988 and 1993. Especially with the added Soulpower mix of Love Rears Its Ugly Head (a marmite moment for many fans). Vivid is excellent too. I never really got into the third one...by 1993 my listening tastes and habits had become a bit fractious.

EG.

Gavman and Jagger69 like this.
  23. Fawltykog

A market stall find in sunny Hatfield this morning, £20 how could i refuse as it's the bloomin' Beatles innit. :)

[​IMG]

24. Fawltykog

Looked it up and it's a first pressing which is nice. :)

Now to find my most wanted and favourite Beatles compilation 2 LP set 'Love Songs'
    The american edition with the gold embossed sleeve and the lyric book and inner sleeves. :)

25. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Another nice haul in Henley this afternoon....

Paul Young - No Parlez (US version with different sleeve)
    Tina Turner - Private Dancer (JPN for Europe, pre-barcode, still in patent-pending smooth case)
    Patti Smith - Dream of Life (original all-silver Arista CD)
    Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams (original RCA)

All in nice condition, probably from the same person as there were other 80s titles I hadn't seen on my last visit but which I already have.

EG.